VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a member that is selling a used GTI set front calipers, carriers and brakes, since I am in LA LA land about brakes, do you guys think I could utilize all these 3 items to upgrade my TDI to 288MM VR6 1/8T brakes and rotors? or they are different, I know the caliper should work, but I do not know about the carriers and brakes. I do not want to go any higher than 288MM cause my rims are stock 15", thanks ahead for any reply .

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Go for it, they work. Here is some further reading

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a4/BBupgrade.htm

You just need the spindles and you might want new wheel bearings. IMO, no need to go aftermarket unless you are also investing in suspension work and need the additional thermal capacity of larger rotors for your intended use. Unless of course, you like how it looks which is a valid reason.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chitty thanks, do you think $100.00 shipped is a good deal for all 3 items? and I know I have to get the VR6 spindle and also the dust shields as well right?

Go for it, they work. Here is some further reading

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a4/BBupgrade.htm

You just need the spindles and you might want new wheel bearings. IMO, no need to go aftermarket unless you are also investing in suspension work and need the additional thermal capacity of larger rotors for your intended use. Unless of course, you like how it looks which is a valid reason.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
No clue but my best guess is that $100 is a good price if it's all in good shape. Just remember that this is a common item for sale so there will probably be another opportunity if this one is no good. You might want to buy new rotors anyways.

·
Registered
96 Posts
How does the electronic brake distribution effect the brake bias? Do you think it knows if you have a big brake kit on and adjusts the bias?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
How does the electronic brake distribution effect the brake bias? Do you think it knows if you have a big brake kit on and adjusts the bias?
It definitely makes a difference. I don't know how much and I don't think you could know without a brake force measurement. There are 4 sensor pads on the ground and you stop the car on them. This measures how much braking force is at each wheel. This would be the only real way to measure it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts