VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i drove up to maine the other day from boston (47mpg on a 260mile trip).

the weather forecast called for below freezing temperatures one night so i stopped at autozone in seabrook, nh to buy some antigel fuel supplement. i did some math and figured 4oz of supplement for my 15gal fuel tank. i drove to the gas station, added 4oz of the cetane boost, and topped off my tank with diesel.

the gallon jug of winterizer/antigel was cheaper per oz but it only measures out for 20oz imcrements on the side. i bought the 16oz bottle for the 4oz increment measurements, then bought the gallon jug thinking i'll refill the small bottle when it's empty... saving a few cents never hurt anyone lol. i also had $20 on my autozone rewards card so that was dope.

i just have to remember when i'm fueling up, a full 15gal tank will take 4oz so only add 1oz per quarter tank that you're filling.

any thoughts on this brand Power Service or other diesel fuel supplements i could/should use for my 2018 turbodiesel equinox for cold weather care?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
another topic i came across researching cold weather care for a diesel engine is block heaters, oil pan heaters, and coolant heaters. i called two dealerships inquiring about these parts. one said all they have is a coolant heater, the other said all they have is an oil pan heater.

the oil pan heater screws right into the front side of the oil pan. if you look under the car, you'll see two small threaded holes that i imagine a bracket or just the part alone screws right into. the part has a wire and wire harness that come seperately. i was quoted about $270 for the set up after taxes. runs 115v so a 120v outlet from your house or generator should do just fine.

i couldn't figure out where the coolant heater goes on the engine for the life of me lol. maybe someone could have a look at the pics i attached and help me figure out where this goes.

i'd like to install both of these myself and let you guys and girls know how it goes.

some block heaters come for the bigger diesel engines and get installed where the core plugs go. you just pop out a core plug then pop the heater in and plug it in. probably need a wire harness for that too or just some zip ties depending on your preference. i couldn't find any block heaters for the LH7.

from my research it seems like the engine won't have too much trouble starting in the cold as long as your battery and glow plugs are good. however, cold weather starts put wear and tear on the engine without these engine warmer accessories.
Screenshot_20181112-184052_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20181112-184116_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20181112-184116_Drive.jpg

if anybody has more info on these engine warmer parts, i would really appreciate any insight and knowledge i could get. any info on batteries and glowplugs in relation to cold weather starts would be appreciated as well.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I never used any heating devices on my mk4 vw and just made sure that the glow plugs and battery were in top condition. When it came time for a battery replacement I bought an AGM battery for a little more but I started that engine in zero F weather and it never got me concerned. I would allow ample warm up time when temps got that cold. In my F250 I plugged it in for two hours before I knew I was going out. It made a big difference but that was on a big 7.3L engine. Glow plugs and batteries were in good shape also but you could tell the difference from a two hour plugin. It was a 1000 watt heater and before I did the two hour plugin routine, I noticed my electric bills through the roof just from the heater being left plugged in. I’m glad to see that GM hasn’t abandoned the diesel engines for vehicles other than trucks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I never used any heating devices on my mk4 vw and just made sure that the glow plugs and battery were in top condition. When it came time for a battery replacement I bought an AGM battery for a little more but I started that engine in zero F weather and it never got me concerned. I would allow ample warm up time when temps got that cold. In my F250 I plugged it in for two hours before I knew I was going out. It made a big difference but that was on a big 7.3L engine. Glow plugs and batteries were in good shape also but you could tell the difference from a two hour plugin. It was a 1000 watt heater and before I did the two hour plugin routine, I noticed my electric bills through the roof just from the heater being left plugged in. I’m glad to see that GM hasn’t abandoned the diesel engines for vehicles other than trucks.
that's good to hear! thank you!

how many winters before you had to replace the glow plugs and battery?

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
that's good to hear! thank you!

how many winters before you had to replace the glow plugs and battery?
When I got the car the glow plugs were five years old. They all tested good so I left them in until one threw a code a year later and then I replaced all four. Those four lasted until the car was salvaged four years later. I made a habit of ohm testing the plugs every fall and if they were within tolerances I’d leave them.

The original battery was replaced ten years after the car rolled off the line. I was shocked to see it lasted ten years. I replaced it with an AGM battery and just load tested it every fall at the same time I ohm tested the glow plugs.

I consider both of these items ‘on condition’ parts with no defined replacement timeframe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I got the car the glow plugs were five years old. They all tested good so I left them in until one threw a code a year later and then I replaced all four. Those four lasted until the car was salvaged four years later. I made a habit of ohm testing the plugs every fall and if they were within tolerances I’d leave them.

The original battery was replaced ten years after the car rolled off the line. I was shocked to see it lasted ten years. I replaced it with an AGM battery and just load tested it every fall at the same time I ohm tested the glow plugs.

I consider both of these items ‘on condition’ parts with no defined replacement timeframe.
hell yeah that rules

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Do you live up in the northeast?
How do you like the power and torque of the Equinox?
Did you get an extended warranty for it?
The mileage is incredible. Is that in AWD?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you live up in the northeast?
How do you like the power and torque of the Equinox?
Did you get an extended warranty for it?
The mileage is incredible. Is that in AWD?
i live in boston. my brother lives in maine. my cousin lives on the nh/vt border. i'm all over new england all the time so i'm really digging the highway fuel economy i've been getting.

my last car was a 2000 forester that i bought with 190k and i sold it with 250k on it. probably could have got 300k out of it. but the equinox definitely has better power and torque than that old thing lol. nothing to write home about though.

i got the extended warranty for $1500 with $100 deductible on anything not covered by the original warranty.

it is an awd with fwd option. a button right on the center console allows you to switch awd on or off. interested to see how that affects the tranny and differential over time. i wanted a new car so i didn't have to work on it like i did my subaru. i went with the diesel option because i've never owned a diesel or worked on a diesel engine and i wanted something to learn about. i might end up just installing those heaters just for something to tinker with lol... so much for not working on my new car...

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
That’s great. Smart move getting the extended warranty. These post-EPA engines are more complicated than the older 2006 and newer ones. Good luck with the vehicle!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts