VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2015 Passat (CVCA motor) since 4200 miles, and I change my oil like clockwork (5.8 quarts of Castrol Edge Pro 5W-30 LL03) every 5k miles. (Yes I know that I can go further, but this is my choice as I'm going to drive this car into the ground). I'm coming up on 50k miles in about a month or so, and I'm concerned about my low oil intervals.

Between 1500-1800 miles after EACH oil change, I get a low oil light and a dipstick that indicates that I'm low by about a quart. I'll top off with an extra quart that I keep in the trunk and I'll be fine until my next change within 5k miles. For the sake of keeping good dealer records, I get my oil changed at the same dealer and they swear that they're filling up with the 6 quarts that I provide them at each service interval. This is key to mention given the oil capacity increase between 2014-15.

I have zero oil leaks on my garage floor and no noticeable smoke coming from the exhaust at any time. Am I flirting with a potential turbo failure? Many thanks as constructive insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Initial thought is failing turbo, however, the going another 3200 miles and the light not coming on says otherwise.
You will need to give more info and do some investigating. Before having your oil changed, check the level to see if it's low and about to throw the light on.
The oil is going somewhere, pull the lower intake tube off and see if it's going there showing the turbo seal is failing. The coolant should be checked for oil as well to see if there's a head gasket issue.
Finally, valve seals could be leaking and letting the oil seep into the cylinders. Not smoking doesn't necessarily mean you're not burning oil.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,965 Posts
That isn't an easy thing to diagnose on the forum.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 06/2014-09/2015, Model: Passat/Variant/4Motion, Engine Code: CVCA, 110Kw, 150PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: North American Region (NAR): Turbocharged Direct Injection Common Rail (TDI-CR)

You have posted in the wrong section, the new forum doesn't allow me to move this thread.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Pulling the lower cooler is definitely a no brainer. On the MK4s a drilled hole with a screw tapped into the lowest point of the air inlet (“as seen on (YouTube) TV”) of the cooler will give you a clear indication of oil in the air inlet side and possibly save a runaway diesel condition. Just a thought.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts