VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 MK7 GSW with DSG transmission and push-button start was "new" in 2017 when we bought it from the dealer after having part 1 of the settlement modifications completed.
Still under original warranty.
Car has about 18K miles on it.

The car has spontaneously died while driving 5 times in the past 1.8 years. The first couple times, I thought it was just a fluke, but the 3rd, 4th, and now 5th time I've taken it to the dealer.

Behavior: Driving steadily along with no issues. Suddenly the engine stops running. Cost to side of road. Car is still "on", but engine is not running. Glow plug indicator is on. Pressing the brake pedal and the start button, the car cranks quickly, but will not start even after 20 seconds of cranking. Foot off brake and push the "start" button so car is completely off. Depress brake and then the start button again and car starts immediately as if there were no issue.

No fault codes are set when this happens.

Repeat this behavior for failures 2, 3, and 4 over a period of about a year. Months and thousands of miles go by between occurrences. Dealer could find no issue after 3rd time. Dealer (at VW recommendation) re-downloaded the ECU firmware (same version) to see if that would remedy the issue.

5th occurrence happened 2-16-19 at highway speed and car coasted to side of freeway. After turning car off, the car started again immediately. Upon putting car in Drive, engine dies. Wait 1 minute. Car starts again, appears normal, but dies again after putting transmission back into drive. Car towed to dealer.

At dealer, car would not start at all. Dealer found the starting battery failed the performance test and replaced the battery under warranty. I think this is probably unrelated.
Dealer's has had the car for 3 days now attempting to reproduce the issue. It continues to behave normally since replacing the battery. Planning to speak to the VW rep tomorrow.

Anyone else had a MK7 TDI spontaneously die like this and leave no codes?

Jim

·
Super Moderator
9,137 Posts
My 2015 MK7 GSW with DSG transmission
Your car spec: 2013 Passat SE TDI & 2004 Jetta GLS TDI.

You need to add this 2015 Passat.

Which DSG is fitted 6 speed or 7 speed? Post the transmission/gearbox code from your data sticker.

That problem isn't easy to diagnose on the web. If this dealer can't find any error codes with their works equipment.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding.

I updated the information in my profile. Out with the 2013 Passat and 2004 Jetta.
In with the 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 GSW TDI, and 2004 Beetle TDI.

The car with the issue is: 2015 GSW S, TDI and has the 6 speed DSG gearbox.

I do agree this issue is too copmplex to diagnose over the web. The dealer can't even diagnose it at their shop. I was hoping to hear that other may have had this issue and it has some known cause.
The dealer behaves as if issues that don't have a "code", don't actually exist. No old-school troubleshooting or diagnostics tree. Just look for the code and replace the part these days. Unfortunate.

Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any updates on this? I have a 2015 GSW and while the engine has never died, the cruise control stops working on occasion while cruising down a smooth, dry road. I'd be interested to know what the cause of your engine cutting off turns out to be.

·
Super Moderator
9,137 Posts
You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts