VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My 2015 VW Golf TDI SE that I purchased in April had its 10k check-up, oil change, etc a few weeks ago (yes, I drive a lot!). Now at 13,500 miles the AdBlue notification popped up saying that AdBlue is required in 1,500 miles. I know that AdBlue is topped off during the 10k check-up (or so they say) so I called the dealership where I had it serviced and they told me to bring it in because there may be a problem.

Has anyone had this issue before?! I had such a nightmare with my previous car (2009 VW Rabbit) that I'm paranoid this is a major issue and that I bought another lemon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Hi all,

My 2015 VW Golf TDI SE that I purchased in April had its 10k check-up, oil change, etc a few weeks ago (yes, I drive a lot!). Now at 13,500 miles the AdBlue notification popped up saying that AdBlue is required in 1,500 miles. I know that AdBlue is topped off during the 10k check-up (or so they say) so I called the dealership where I had it serviced and they told me to bring it in because there may be a problem.

Has anyone had this issue before?! I had such a nightmare with my previous car (2009 VW Rabbit) that I'm paranoid this is a major issue and that I bought another lemon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks so much!
The AdBlue system itself is pretty simple, so I doubt that it'd be a major issue.

The most likely scenario is that the dealer said the filled it, but did not. A full tank is good for about 15,000 miles, and you're right where you should get the warning if they didn't fill it.

Next most likely is the level sender in the AdBlue tank. That could be expensive because the tank has to be removed, but should be covered by warranty. It's the same general type of sender that makes the gas gauge work, so not complicated or novel. The adblue system is part of the cars' emissions system, so longer than normal warranty.

I am just short of 80,000 miles on my Passat, and I've only seen the warning once -- it was my fault.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lwt42 - Thanks so much for that informative response! I feel a bit better now. The car is still under warranty so I'll bring it in and see.

Thanks so much again!

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
lwt42 - Thanks so much for that informative response! I feel a bit better now. The car is still under warranty so I'll bring it in and see.

Thanks so much again!
I would ask them what they found -- if they forgot to fill the AdBlue tank I'd ask the service manager why they did not perform the whole service.

... and if they missed anything else.

The filler on my Passat is inside the trunk, and my dealer spilled AdBlue in the trunk every time. It's clear and nearly odorless as a liquid, but dries to a crystalline powder an hour or so later. The last time I let the dealer fill up the AdBlue, I lined the trunk with plastic. I think they got the message.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the 2015 Golf, the AdBlue filler is near the fuel tank so luckily my car won't experience the same as your trunk!

And yes, I will be sure to ask the service team and manager about this and any other services that they missed during the so-called 'comprehensive' service.

Thanks so much again :)

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
With the 2015 Golf, the AdBlue filler is near the fuel tank so luckily my car won't experience the same as your trunk!

And yes, I will be sure to ask the service team and manager about this and any other services that they missed during the so-called 'comprehensive' service.

Thanks so much again :)
You can buy a 2 1/2 gallon jug of DEF (generic AdBlue) at Walmart for less than $15. If your car takes the whole jug, they didn't fill it.

I didn't suggest that earlier because I wasn't sure where the filler was on your car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the generic ok to use? Also, I'm a little uncertain about adding because like you said, the issue may be something else like the level sender. If that is the case, the problem should be addressed before the warranty runs out.

I did read about how to refill if necessary, ie making sure not to splash, get it in your eyes, on your skin, etc. Just taking extra precaution.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Yes, the generic is just fine. It's a mixture of Urea and plain water.

It's not terribly nasty stuff. You do want to wash it off, be careful not to leave it on paint, etc.

You might want to peruse the Passat section since DEF has been on the Passat since 2012.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
If the car takes 2 1/2 gallons of DEF and the warning goes away, somebody forgot to add DEF.

If the sender is broken, the warning won't go away.

If something has gone wrong and the car is pouring DEF into the exhaust, the warning will be back fairly quickly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is purely an intellectual curiosity question. I would never do this, but if, instead of DEF, one filled the tank with water when required? What would happen?

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
This is purely an intellectual curiosity question. I would never do this, but if, instead of DEF, one filled the tank with water when required? What would happen?
You would have to get it fixed by the dealer/ or some other shop that would want to tackle that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did the problem end up getting fixed? I recently am experiencing the issue with adblue not resetting. Fill ad blue is full. Alarm won’t go away. Says I have 100km left before no start. What to do??

·
Super Moderator
9,555 Posts
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout which is owned by a company 6 months ago that doesn't give a dam with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a poll which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I’m from Toronto (Canada) and have a two diesel cars that I use for my commute to work. My now summer car BMW 335d 2009 and commuter car VW Golf TDI 2015. Besides changing oil I haven’t done much to my Golf TDI that has about 120 000km on it now. My next service I do will include a DSG transmission fluid change and oil change. I love Diesel vehicles and which to maintain the cars for several more years. I’ve owned by Golf for about 3-4 years now and seems like a perfect commuter car for me. I’d like to do some mods to the car as well to get some more performance from it, but have this strange issue with the AD Blue alarm not clearing as I have topped up the tank with DEF. Typically the alarm goes away automatically as pass refill times has happened. This time it hasn’t and I’m down to 100km more before engine won’t start. I have an ODBeleven that I tried clearing faults but the alarm still remains. diesels are not that popular in North America so I wasn’t able to find much content on it locally. I know Europe has much more Diesel vehicles so I’m assuming this may be a common issue similar to the one originally described in this thread. Anything would help! Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did the problem end up getting fixed? I recently am experiencing the issue with adblue not resetting. Fill ad blue is full. Alarm won’t go away. Says I have 100km left before no start. What to do??
I’m having the same issue. 2015 golf sport wagon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Problem could be bad lines, bad injector, bad level sensor. In that order. All are covered under Vw emissions to 162000miles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts