VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if this is a common issue. Went to my mechanic to diagnose loss of cold air, he tried to recover the refrigerant and there was almost none left (only 0.06 lb was recovered). The pressure on both low and high pressure lines was good both before and after recovery, but the refrigerant was completely gone. He performed a leak test and the pressure was holding good (from -30 psi on the low pressure line went down to about -28psi in 10 minutes), but could not say how the refrigerant was lost over time. Oil and R134a freon was then replaced and all is good for now.

I am wondering if this is a known issue and what the fix would entail, since the issue would most likely resurface over time.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good insight Keith. Performed scan via Ross Tech VCDS cable, everything comes back clean. Could it be that is it a mechanical issue not caught by the ECU?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Any automotive AC system can begin to leak. I expect that the mechanic added dye to the system, but if not, get some added (since there's already an oil charge, you should add the concentrated dye rather than oil with dye). Then you can look around with a UV lamp and possibly find what's leaking. After running for a while (even a few days), check all the lines, compressor and condenser of course, but for the evaporator, put the car on stands and shine the UV light up the evaporator water drain pipe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts