VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to share my experience with the Porsche PCM 3.1 multimedia unit rebooting issue I just recently had. I searched through various forums and couldn't find anything useful other than taking it to the dealer and having it looked at or replaced. Seems this is a common issue across old and newer PCM units. Troubleshooting options are 1. Reboot PCM unit via knobs 2. check/replace/pull PCM fuse 3. Disable HD radio( if option) / remove USB drive if used 4. upgrade the software version. Dealer visit required (current 2019 is 4.7x) 5. Replace head unit.

My cayenne only has 62k miles and the reboot issue just started 2 days ago. was intermittently rebooting every 10min or so, then progressed to every 5min. very annoying. Tried the first 3 options I listed previously with no change. I pulled the PCM head unit out and started poking around (I have an engineering background :D). Found out there is a HDD installed on the top of the unit. I pulled it out and plugged it into my laptop. seems it is not running well making noises. I decided to clone the hardrive onto an SSD. Toshiba 100GB installed used Patriot Blaze 120GB SSD. Since installing the SSD back into the unit, it hasn't rebooted yet, but It's only been 2 days. Will report back if it happens again. As long as the unit hasn't went to emergency mode, a dealer visit will not be needed to reactivate the unit. Also, the Installed HDD toshiba model is a high current model ( DC 5v @1.4 Amp), so if using a USB hub, make sure it can handle the current needed. Hope this helps others.😊

1 - 1 of 1 Posts