VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the original owner. The car has had the emissions fix. In the morning, when the car is between 30 and 40 mph it shakes violently. If I accelerate through the shake it smooths out. After running for about 10 minutes the problem goes away. I've taken the car to a mechanic and they could need figure out what the cause is for this problem. The mechanic the computer was not showing any codes. I had the dealer shop look at a few years ago and the mechanic couldn't figure it out either, but said the transmission probably needs replacing. I wasn't going to spend a ton of money on a hunch. The car runs great all day except for the morning. When I return home from work it doesn't shake. Has anyone had this problem. If you have, what was the problem? I would appreciate any help. I'm afraid if I don't fix it it's going to damage the car, and I love this car!

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Do you have a manual or an auto transmission? I suppose there could be something going on with the DMF while cold but if it's been going on for awhile it would have progressed into a failed DMF by now. Another option would be to install a tank heater and see if it goes away. I know that isn't really a fix to the root cause though

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have a manual or an auto transmission? I suppose there could be something going on with the DMF while cold but if it's been going on for awhile it would have progressed into a failed DMF by now. Another option would be to install a tank heater and see if it goes away. I know that isn't really a fix to the root cause though
It's an automatic. It only happens after leaving it sit overnight. In the morning, I can run the car in idle for 15 minutes and then take it on the road and it still vibrates. I don't think it's a hot/cold engine causing it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar sounding issue until I drilled a hole in the intercooler pipe. Im sure the frost heater i installed helped too. Still seems to want to act up at very specific rpm/speeds while regening. Usually going a little slower or faster helps that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm the original owner. The car has had the emissions fix. In the morning, when the car is between 30 and 40 mph it shakes violently. If I accelerate through the shake it smooths out. After running for about 10 minutes the problem goes away. I've taken the car to a mechanic and they could need figure out what the cause is for this problem. The mechanic the computer was not showing any codes. I had the dealer shop look at a few years ago and the mechanic couldn't figure it out either, but said the transmission probably needs replacing. I wasn't going to spend a ton of money on a hunch. The car runs great all day except for the morning. When I return home from work it doesn't shake. Has anyone had this problem. If you have, what was the problem? I would appreciate any help. I'm afraid if I don't fix it it's going to damage the car, and I love this car!
Bro same! I finally found someone. I usually let mines warm up 10-20 min then it’s not there. Idky it does this. I’m thinking tranny maybe too. Maybe I should ask my uncle who’s been a mechanic all his life and loves audi / any german really. Have you found the reason?

·
Registered
2013 passat
2 Posts
My 2013 started the cold start shake and took it to the local dealer. CPO Warrenty, so why not. They were not sure what it was but said to bring it back if it does it again...

week later had a bad episode and it threw a code, dealer kept it for two weeks testing and working with VW factory reps. They took off the serpentine belt to see if it was related and it still shook when cold.

Their Solution is to replace the engine, they will call when it is replaced.
inwill let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is it a dual mass flywheel issue. I wonder. My T5 used to feel lumpy on start up in cold weather. I changed the dual mass flywheel when I had to have a new clutch and it solved the problem. A VW mechanic should be able to tell if its this or something else.

·
Registered
2013 passat
2 Posts
Yeah I suggested that to them awhile back. Apparently they are still working through this with VW Corp. The Shop foreman agreed it could be the flywheel. They next time the update me I will suggest this again. It seems from this board and others this a known TDI issue. You would think VW would be more of top of this. Seems most newer mechanics are trained to read codes and replace parts
JMHO

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah I suggested that to them awhile back. Apparently they are still working through this with VW Corp. The Shop foreman agreed it could be the flywheel. They next time the update me I will suggest this again. It seems from this board and others this a known TDI issue. You would think VW would be more of top of this. Seems most newer mechanics are trained to read codes and replace parts
JMHO
Yep. Most mechanics cant diagnose anything anymore. My Crafter van broke down in Switzerland and had to be recovered to the uk. My local old time mechanic has diagnosed exactly what happened. they are a dying breed. Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am so glad I found this thread! Did this issue get figured out? My 2014 Passat TDI does this also. Basically, if the engine has not yet gotten up to operating temps, It will shudder in third and/or fourth gear at around 60kph. If I accelerate through it by just giving it some more throttle it stops. This only happens for the first 5-10 mins or so until everything has been running a certain amount of time and operating temp has been fully reached.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m having the same issues with a 2010 golf. Started out with a slight shake. Now the shake is worse but still goes away in tha same amount of time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2014 Passat tdi, once i drive it for a few mins, no problem. Any solutions ?
I had the same issues on 2 separate occasions in the last couple years, and each time the dealer replaced an injector under warranty. It was covered under the extended warranty from the diesel scandal fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2013 Passat TDI is doing something, shaking in the morning for about 10 mins. If that long. And I am seeing thoughts from flywheel to injectors but are those solving the issue? Just curious before I begin my journey on having my mechanic try to solve it. Thanks for all the information.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts