VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
continued from part 1 www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/cayenne/porsche-cayenne-diesel-review.htm

Using biodiesel in your Porsche Cayenne diesel

All diesel engines will run fine on high quality biodiesel. For the basics of biodiesel, see 1000q: intro to biodiesel. However, Porsche's official limit for biodiesel is 5% biodiesel (B5) maximum. The main concern is the quality of fuel used and the emissions system. Bad fuel of any kind will cause damage. The emission system for the Cayenne has a diesel particulate filter (DPF) which traps soot and burns it out during a self clean cycle. A SCR reduction catalyst uses Adblue fluid to reduce NOx emissions by about 90%. The long term effects aren't known on the new common rail engines. There is also a concern that because biodiesel can linger longer than petrol diesel, it can accumulate in the engine oil during the self clean post combustion injection of fuel. For details of the emissions system, read 1000q: DPF filter and Adblue fluid FAQ. Biodiesel also gels at a higher temperature than regular diesel so you must use anti-gel additives in cold conditions.

Delivery inspection

Don't be distracted from the happiness of taking delivery that you may miss any problem with your order. Once you drive off the lot, you'll have a harder time proving things like missed damage to the car or scratches. Since you paid them tens of thousands of dollars, don't be pressured to rush off the lot. I recently read a story where someone was sold a "new" Porsche that had over 2000 miles and he didn't notice until he left and had already signed the papers.

Carefully inspect your Cayenne for even panel gap and paint defects. It's normal industry practice to repair any cars damaged during final factory inspection or shipping without disclosure. As long as the repair is quality, the only possible problem of a repaired panel is removing paint protection films - it can pull the paint off during removal.

Make sure the dealer tops off the Adblue tank before delivery! It is not topped off at the factory and you will quickly run out if they neglected this item on their delivery checklist.

Bad auto detailing can actually cause paint damage like swirl marks, spiderwebbing, or halos. It's worst on black cars. Inspect the paint under a strong light for defects. See 1000q: polishing paint for some examples of swirl marks or spiderwebbing. Clay bar treatment will also remove any rail dust, sea salt, or other dirt that got stuck into the paint during transport over sea or rail. See 1000q: claybar treatment for details. It's a new car and should have new condition paint. Another common problem on new cars in general is orange peel. This is a rippling of the paint and must be removed by wetsanding and polishing the paint. This can be corrected by a good auto detailer. Perfectly smooth paint should reflect like the red image on right. Very minor rippling is considered normal for a mass produced car.

As part of the pre delivery inspection, various modules are activated and coded at the dealership using their computer, the PWIS. This includes taking the car computer out of delivery sleep mode, activating things like homelink and heated seats. While the car uses some VW modules, Ross Tech's VCDS tool for VWs will not communicate with most modules as they are unique to Porsche.

small stuff to know after taking delivery

Don't put gasoline in your Porsche Cayenne diesel! The most common situations where it get gas is: someone saw a green fuel handle and assumed it was diesel, a friend fills it up for you when they borrow the car and put gas in it, or the car runs out of fuel and roadside assistance brings gas. The car could also get misfueled at the dealer because the keys could get passed to a few different people while it's there. If your diesel ever has gas in it, stop as soon as practical and safe and tow it to a mechanic! Don't risk getting into an accident by pulling over suddenly! They must drain the entire fuel system, change the fuel filter, and refill the entire system with fresh diesel and a can of fuel lubricity additive like powerservice or standyne. Gasoline is a solvent, diesel fuel is an oil.

Fuel economy can be low in the beginning because the engine hasn't broken in yet. It could increase up to 15%. Most car salespeople don't know much about cars beyond what's in the sales brochure so I wouldn't take mechanical advice from them. I would just follow the instructions in your owner's manual. See 1000q: engine break in for some more detailed explanations.

The chassis are built in Bratislava, Slovakia alongside the Audi Q7 and VW Touareg. The Q7 and Touareg are finished in Slovakia but the Cayenne bodies are shipped to Germany (not all the way by ski lift!) for final assembly. Their factory in Slovakia uses a ski-lift transport system to move cars around.

Any diesel engine could experience a type of malfunction which causes a runaway. This is a rare problem where the engine races due to eating its own engine oil. The car can also accelerate if it's not in neutral. If this ever happens to you, keep positive control over the car and shut off the engine as soon as it's safe and practical. Do not restart the engine until it's been examined! Read more about a diesel engine runaway and some causes at 1000q: runaway engine FAQ. It's a rare problem and your Cayenne uses an electric throttle which can shut off the air, choking the engine so as long as you immediately shut off the engine it won't runaway.

A common problem on older cars was rusty or sticking turbo "wastegate" actuators. All Cayenne TDI use variable vane turbos and because the actuator is fully electronically controlled instead of electro-pnuematic (solenoid), it shouldn't have problems from old and cracked vacuum lines for the actuator. Because the turbo is on top of the car, it should also have less exposure to road salts. I would bet a side effect of a top mount turbo is faster snow melting on the car's hood due to exhaust heat.

A common complaint on German cars in general is a fast speedometer. German law doesn't allow for slow speedometers even after equipment variations like different wheel and tire sizes. The odometer reading should be correct for warranty and maintenance purposes. The mpg meter is based off that so it should be fairly accurate. However, the best way to calculate fuel economy is by filling the tank all the way at the same pump each time, and dividing the amount of fuel pumped to the miles traveled.

The car can tell the difference between the key fobs and will set the seats and mirrors according to which key fob you have (assumes you have memory seats).

The black button on the dashboard to the right of the instrument cluster is a temperature sensor for the climate control. The climate control also goes into recirculate mode so that the cabin air intake isn't sucking in exhaust.

If you need to replace your key fob, you must buy a new one due to the immobilizer anti-theft system. They can only be coded by the dealer.

The auto wipers and headlights work off the rain/light sensor. The sensor is located in the base of the rear view mirror and looks out the windshield. The auto dimming rear mirrors work off a light sensor in the central rear view mirror.

Your Porsche
Cayenne diesel must use only VW spec 507.00 engine oil for warranty purposes and to maximize the life of the DPF filter. When you take the car to a dealer or garage, trust but verify they're using this engine oil. Dealer techs are busy and sometimes they don't know any better. It could just be a matter of which bottle is closer. Always check which oil will be used on your car with the exact mechanic who is changing the oil. Also check the receipt for the part number 507 spec engine oil is important because it's very low ash. The more ash in the engine oil, the faster the DPF exhaust particulate filter will clog with ash, requiring removal and cleaning of it. See 1000q: DPF FAQ for more on this system. Some oils that meet this spec are Castrol SLX Professional LL03, Motul specific VW 507.00, Total Quartz Ineo 5w30 507.00, and Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30.

The part numbers for VW 507.00 oil are:
VW# g v52 195 a1 (g v52 195 a1) for .5 liter
VW# gvw 052 195 m2 (gvw 052 195 m2) for 1 liter
VW# gvw 052 195 m4 (gvw 052 195 m4)for 5 liters

Here is a link to the the TSB in .pdf format which lists engine oils approved for this engine. The VW TSB is shown but it's the same for Porsche since it's the same engine - click to view it (scroll down to the bottom for 507.00 oils) https://www.myturbodiesel.com/d2/images/pdf/vwoiltsb.pdf

Never use green Prestone coolant because it will cause sludging and turn brown. Only use a compatible coolant like VW/Audi/Porsche G12 or Pentosin. The coolant system is sealed so if it's low, figure out where it's leaking.

All plastic headlight lenses will become weathered and pitted over time. UV-resistant headlight covers or protectors will keep your headlights looking like new. After the covers age, they can be removed and replaced. Paint protection film over the front hood and fenders can also help prevent rock chips but it also costs a lot more than simple headlight covers. Paint protection film also reduces the shininess of the paint and will leave a line where it ends but it's not noticeable unless you're looking closely. It can also be removed without any damage to original paint. Paint film should never be used on repainted panels since it can pull off the paint.

There is a white LED lights in the overhead console that points down at the radio. It's adjusted with the instrument cluster brightness level and is shown in the walkaround video.

The instrument cluster is plastic and covered in an anti glare coating. Use a soft cloth (preferably microfiber) and water to clean it. Never use paper towels! Paper towels will cause microscratches.

You may hear a high pitched whine or clicking at the center-rear of the engine when you turn the car on and off. This is the EGR valve self calibrating. Some clicking in the rear is the Adblue pump.

All emissions equipment is covered under warranty under federal emissions laws. Do not tamper with any federal emissions equipment. Due to the engine management system, there is no way to disable the DPF or bypass the DPF on a Cayenne TDI. If you remove the DPF filter on your Cayenne , it will set off a check engine light. It's possible that it can be disabled but your car would no longer be in compliance with emissions. See 1000q: DPF and Adblue system FAQ for more details on the "clean diesel" system. Never add water to the Adblue system since it will cause damage!

Do not add aftermarket rustproofing since it will void the factory rust warranty. Porsche are dipped in anti-rust zinc coatings and have a few layers of paint to prevent rust. While it could still happen and the rust warranty only covers certain kinds of rust, the best thing to do is to wash your car regularly, including the undercarriage. See 1000q: car detailing index for tips on how to avoid scratches and swirl marks from car washing. The best thing to do is to avoid automatic car washes unless they are "touchless".

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Guys (& Girls?), this is my first post & I have to say, I am delighted to have found your forum. I'm all the way across in Canberra, Australia & I am very impressed at the interest level & quality of the material I've found on the site so far. I currently drive a turbo diesel & have for quite a few years. It's been a solid & reliable work horse & has done around 190,000 ks to date. When my present drive dies (Nissan Patrol) I plan to buy a Cayenne Diesel. I wonder if you have some feedback on the overall reliability of this vehicle? Of course the engine & drive chain but also, the switches etc. I very much look forward to corresponding with you & I hope you continue to enjoy your various, high quality autos. regard, Gordon Lucas

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I know, the Cayenne has been very reliable. Cayenne, Audi Q7, and VW Touareg all use the same engine in the US since 2013 and this exact engine has been in use in Europe for a few years. You pay a little more for the Cayenne but it's slightly sportier and you can option them much higher.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All diesel engines will run fine on high quality biodiesel.

This sentence is deceiving, since many of the new VW-sourced TDI motors do not run fine on biodiesel. In fact, much evidence shows that blends over B20 can cause a whole host of problems. I'm a biodiesel user (B100) and have been for a decade and that's why I do not own one of the new VW-sourced TDI cars.

Maybe I misunderstand the intent of the sentence?

Sorry, new here.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All diesel engines will run fine on high quality biodiesel.

This sentence is deceiving, since many of the new VW-sourced TDI motors do not run fine on biodiesel. In fact, much evidence shows that blends over B20 can cause a whole host of problems. I'm a biodiesel user (B100) and have been for a decade and that's why I do not own one of the new VW-sourced TDI cars.

Maybe I misunderstand the intent of the sentence?

Sorry, new here.
Perhaps the statement can be revised. The engine will run without any noticeable immediate symptoms. There may be long term problems due to engine oil dilution. I'm not aware of other major problems when using good quality bio. The viscosity of the fuel and gel temperature are different but lubricity is way up. I am not aware of any problems with the DPF system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts