VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and Gals:

On August 3, 2010 Road and Track posted spy photos of a mid size wagon mule driving around the Arizona dessert. This was before the new NMS a/k/a Passat was revealed In Detroit last week. In that article they stated they were not sure whether VW would do a US spec wagon. So here is my question. Now that we know what the NMS/Passat looks like and the fact it is a different size from the euro spec Passat do we know if THAT wagon in THAT specific picture under the camo was a US Spec or Euro Spec Passat?

Someone must know what the heck that was! Any thoughts from you 2013 Passat TDI Wagon Owner Wannabees?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Nobody outside of VW knows and saying otherwise would be pure speculation. You can't go off small cosmetic clues because the car would have been a test mule and they regularly put cars in different bodies in addition to camouflage for testing and disguise.

I've read speculation that there will be NO 2013 VW Passat TDI wagon because the sportwagen is now its own model and the Passat wagon would be too close in size. However, this would end decades of the Passat wagon and they have both a Passat wagon and the Golf wagon (Jetta Sportwagen) overseas.

Therefore, I bet that there WILL be a Passat wagon for 2013.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It would be great if they did it. I'd consider trading up for it. Especially if they keep the passat top of the line instead of stripping it down like they have done with the jetta/golf line and wagons.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Missing Passat (Wagon) Options

Yes indeed. In the JSW I miss the power seats and auto temp controls and leather and probably that 67.9 cubic feet of cargo space goes up to maybe 71 or 72 cubic feet with a wagon and now you have got it made in the shade. Maybe by then they will consider bringing the 170HP TDI for a little extra power.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Audi and BMW diesels Expensive but not VW

The A4 fully equipped is like 44K.........imagine what a TDI will run AND the 335D is like 45K without the doors and windows so the Passat TDI wagon would be a bargain just as the JSW is over the A3. My guess fully equipped about 29 to 31K

·
Registered
23 Posts
The A4 fully equipped is like 44K.........imagine what a TDI will run AND the 335D is like 45K without the doors and windows so the Passat TDI wagon would be a bargain just as the JSW is over the A3. My guess fully equipped about 29 to 31K
Fully equipped passat tdi for less than my jsw tdi, sign me up! Please envision 4wd, memory seats, park sensors, paddle steering wheel, better voice control,

·
Registered
36 Posts
What do you (anyone) think about this? http://www.germancarblog.com/2011/01/vw-passat-no-wagon-planned-for-us-4wd-possible/

VW has announced that they have no plans for a VW Passat Wagon for the US, but an all-wheel-drive version might be possible.

At the 2011 Detroit Auto Show, Volkswagen unveiled an exclusive version of the Passat for the U.S. market. Of course at this point many are wondering if there will be a station wagon or all-wheel-drive variant of the new U.S. market Passat. As far as the Passat station wagon goes, Volkswagen says that “it’s not in the current plan.” An all-wheel-drive Volkswagen Passat is also not in the current plan, but it could be doable

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sign me up. There are still people who buy wagons. VW just has to look at the success of the Sportwagen. I'vw seen more Sportwagen TDI on the road of late than any other wagon. They want to sell more cars right?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No Plans for Passat Wagon; Saw Passat at Phila Show

That quote on the German Car Blog bums me out!

I just saw and sat in the 2012 Passat this past Saturday at the Philly Show. The back seat is HUGE. I mean HUGE. If they did a wagon it really would be a hauler as the sedan has a huge trunk as well. I would give the 2012 Passat maybe a 9 on style points. The interior had mostly soft touch pieces rather than the cheap plastic. However the fake wood or maybe it was real on the SEL version at the show was cheap looking. The car reminded me of a German Camry.

I would give the interior maybe a 7.5 or 8.0 on style points at best. Lets put it this way. If there is a wagon in the future I am excited. The sedan now that I think about it is more of a less blander Toyota Avalon. Also the trunk hinges protrude and the hood is held up by the dip stick (no hydraulics) All of this obviously to cut costs. I saw the 3D Navigation on the 2011 Toureg at the show so anything else, even the 510 is a let down. Maybe its because I am a wagon guy but going for this Passat Sedan is like kissing your sister.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
That quote on the German Car Blog bums me out!
FYI, the people at car shows aren't very high up on the knowledge chain...I wouldn't go by what they say and even if they know something you don't it could change. I don't know the odds of a wagon but I would think they are at least 50%.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It would be a real mistake if they didn't have the wagon. There aren't too many choices for big wagons anymore but there IS still a market. They'll sell every one.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
VW Quoted

Hi Chitty:

I agree. The quote could have been from a VW low level guy or gal. It was not from Stefan Jacoby or Walter DeSilva for example where such comments might be given more weight. I am still convinced that the wagon mule in the Arizona dessert spotted last year may have been an indication they were going in the wagon direction. Why would they be testing a euro spec mule here when they have plenty of places in the world to do this. Finally with the V-70 Volvo wagon and 5 series BMW wagon gone its an opportunity to move in on that small but loyal segment. On the other hand they could stick a diesel in the A6 wagon which is getting long in the tooth but perhaps we will see a TDI variant of the next generation A6 wagon. That being said the price would be prohibitive me me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts