VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update:
They say my heater core is bad and needs replaced. Part is on back order for a week and a half. Guessing that is an indication of a wider issue. I have asked to review the damaged/clogged core before it is sent back to VW. Will provide a report on its condition next week.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My heater core just was diagnosed as plugged also. With all of the hell I've gone through with this POS, VW agreed to pay for it's replacement. Then they announced that the parts are back ordered for 3-6 weeks. So, my wife gets to drive a car in northern Wisconsin, in January and February, with no heat other than the seat and the pathetic electric "thing" that it does when cold. Nice.

My solution was to finally trade this piece of shit car off. Hello, Mercedes-Benz E350 4matic.

Having owned VWs and VW diesels for the last 30 years, I'm sorry to see it go. But IMO, VW has jumped the shark. This was my last one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Last weekend experienced the same issue, hot air on drivers side and cold or luke warm at best on passengers. It is a 2013 Passat TDI Highline Canadian version.
Took it in and they diagnosed it with plugged heat core. Changing it next week and apparently it takes all day and no dash is coming out. Car is still under warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in So Cal so normally this isn't an issue, but while on Christmas trip to Utah we discovered that the passenger side air temp is much much colder than driver side, regardless if running in "sync" or in manual. Wife was not happy sitting on 6 hours with cold air blowing during the drive with outside temps ranging from -4 to 18 degrees. Seems there is a problem with the system. Car is out of warranty (87k miles on 2012) and I really don't want to take it to dealer. My local mechanic is fantastic but I think it would be helpful if I could stir him in the right direction based on your guys experience with this problem. I've read "blender valve" or a linkage. Where inside the car can I find it or get to it? What codes is used to test the system or is this something he'll know how to do? Thank in advance.

Steve

Hi All,

My 2012 Passat TDI blew warm air on the driver's side and cool on the passenger side. I replaced passenger temperature sensor. Reset climate controls. Finally, I bought a new heater-core ($14.00, yes $14.00). The heater core was the problem. I replaced it myself - in the winter ;(. It is Very Easy to replace. 30-45 min. Please see my destructive inspection of the heater-core failure here:

21 - 25 of 25 Posts