VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
As a new member in the forum and having little experience with Jetta and Passat diesel cars, I'm hoping to get good information from experienced members regarding the new 2012 Passat TDI. My two oldest sons are driving a Jetta 2005 diesel and they are really happy with them. So I decided to go with diesel as well. I heard that this summer the 2012 Passat Diesel made in USA is going to hit the market. I would be interested in buying one since I have a large family and the car is roomy. I would like to know if the engine, transmission and pump are still German made, Pros and Cons...
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't think it's fair to discriminate against non-German parts. The parts come from all over the world. The engines are assembled in Germany if that's what you mean :) The car will be assembled in Tennessee with parts from all over. The US Government says that if at least 75% of the car is built from US sourced parts it's a domestic. Therefore, many Toyotas are more American than many Fords.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Pros: big, features that you can't get on the Jetta, fuel economy about as good as Jetta even though it's heavier and larger

Cons: uses adblue exhaust fluid (should run smooth IMHO but adds a little bit of expense), more expensive=more depreciation

I think it will be a nice car. If you have more pros or cons, feel free to post them and I can add them to the buying guide/preview.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Buy one and let US know what the pros and cons are. Nobody yet owns one and I haven't seen any reviews or pictures other than at car shows!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would like to thank each and everyone responding to my post. I have read the TDI Forum Preview which was very helpful and regarding the German parts I don't want to be misunderstood, but my concern was the maintenance expenses down the road, which from what I've read there is nothing to be afraid of as long as this version will be American.
Thanks again and when I drive one I will post more pros and cons about 2012 Passat TDI.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts