VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyo have any tips on removing the engine out of a 2012 passat tdi . Spun a rod bearing and need to rebuild it or replace. Better yet does anyone have step by step instructions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's easy peasy and is generic no matter what vehicle. Remove everything that's connected to the engine that's can't/won't come out with it. I personally drop the engine and trans out the bottom together then separate on the ground. Only part that sucks on these is you will have to drop the subframe to get the dpf BS out! If u need much help past that, u probably shouldn't be doing it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I have it almost ready to lower out the bottom. I guess I was curious if you have to drop the k frame with it. At this point I’m trying to drop the engine and tran together without the key frame it looks like there will be enough room. Are these engines worth rebuilding, or would I be better off to get a junkyard engine. And are there any high performance rebuild kits available?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok I have it almost ready to lower out the bottom. I guess I was curious if you have to drop the k frame with it. At this point I’m trying to drop the engine and tran together without the key frame it looks like there will be enough room. Are these engines worth rebuilding, or would I be better off to get a junkyard engine. And are there any high performance rebuild kits available?
No! You don't have to drop the subframe unless you need to remove the dpf. Everything can drop out without removing it tho. What happen to it to make u think it needs a rebuild?? The bottom ends are usually bullet proof so I'd say take ur time and inspect everything. The heads suck on these so I'd pop that off and make sure it's not cracked. If a bearing is really spun, it will depend on how bad the crankshaft is to determine if it's worth the time and effort. VW is starting to phase out diesel parts after diesel gate and the push for EV. I found this out the hard way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Number 4 rod bearing is spun. I think the car was run out of oil I bought it with a tap in the engine. and then found out that it was actually a rod knocking. The crankshaft has heavy groves in it so I am going to need one of those . If there are any upgrades that can be done while the motor is out I would like to do them. I am all about avoiding problems in the future.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Experience has shown, a car run dry on oil, typically has damage up top as well as down low. If it's just the crank tho, have it spun and then get oversized bearings. I doubt you will be able to get a replacement crankshaft from anywhere.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah I may just be best off getting a low mile take out engine . I would just feel better know exactly what I have as in an engine , that’s the only reason I want to rebuild it .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If u do, keep the old engine for parts and/or to rebuild slowly over time...parts will be a premium for these things soon!
If u do, keep the old engine for parts and/or to rebuild slowly over time...parts will be a premium for these things soon!
ok so what’s this car worth fixed and ready to go .? 128k very nice shape .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Worth? That's debatable! But current list prices start at $7500 with well over 200K mi. I have a 14 and have seen them listed at over 10K. List price doesn't mean that's what they're getting but we know it isn't too far off!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Worth? That's debatable! But current list prices start at $7500 with well over 200K mi. I have a 14 and have seen them listed at over 10K. List price doesn't mean that's what they're getting but we know it isn't too far off!
ok thanks for your reply. I guess I will pull the engine and see what the pistons and cylinders look like and go from there. Have a good evening!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts