VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies in advance if this has been asked and answered before! Is there any timeline on the availability of the new (larger) Passat in a Sportwagon TDI for the US market? It seems a no brainer but VW hasn't put a TDI in the US Tiguan so who knows what they are thinking over there?:confused:

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Here are my thoughts about the 2012 VW Passat TDI wagon: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/b7/2012-vw-passat-tdi-forum-buying-guide.htm in the buying guide.

It's not going to happen for at least 2 calendar years, 1 model year. I think it's a no - brainer too and I believe it would be the first passat without a wagon option. It would be very easy for them to make a wagon body style but supposedly they aren't going to because it's too close to the sportwagen. So things could change but it does take time, so 1 model year at the earliest.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CCBB, that is what I was looking for. Too bad the product planners don't agree with us! Now then, what about the new 40TDI for the Tiguan!:eek

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
A wagon version of the North American Passat will be an all new undertaking. Unless development has already started, my guess is that it will be a MINIMUM of two model years before we see it rolling off the assembly line. So, 2014 at the earliest, more likely 2015. And the longer VW waits to green light a Passat NMS wagon variant, the longer it will take to show up for sale.

One thought I had recently was a way for VW to bring us the European Passat Wagon. Market it as a CC wagon, or CC Sportwagen if you want. That way, its price (and Euro chic) would fit in with the rest of the true Euro lineup. Of course, that means we will be paying mid to upper 30's for a nicely equipped Passat Wagon with the TDI motor. But it will be the real deal--Euro all the way--and we could have it within one model year.

I think I would recalibrate my finances in order to buy one. In a heartbeat.

As for the TDI Tiguan, well go figure. The excuse has always been that to put the 2.0TDI in the Tiguan, VW would have to go to different emissions setup (read: Urea injection) because of the higher loading on the engine. Well gee, they have had to do that in the NA Passat for pretty much the same reason. So now that they have the exact powertrain they would need for a TDI Tiguan, in production in the NA Passat, (and the rest of the parts running around Europe in TDI equipped Tiguans), VW's excuse is...what? :ugh

1 - 4 of 4 Posts