VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this over on tdi club as well...

ok, so my 2012 TDI which I did a dpf/egr delete and stage 2 refresh on just a few months ago, gave out..

I took it to guy roberts, and they checked it with their computer and said no fuel pressure, and that it looked like the HPFP had failed..

I was driving down the road and the car shut off during acceleration... and wouldn't crank back up, and acts as if it doe indeed not get fuel..

so VW said the HPFP would be covered under warranty... so I had it towed up there...

now VW just called me back and has informed me that they turbo is "completely locked up" and "not allowing any exhaust flow" and that the HPFP is perfectly fine... I find this difficult to believe as it should still allow exhaust to flow even if it is locked up......

so what are the chances that they are trying to pull a fast one, and charge me for a turbo, when its just the hpfp, and I know I can get a CR170 turbo for cheaper than what VW charges for new factory turbo on the car...

please provide thoughts... im trying to call them back and see if they are going to warranty it, or tell me my downpipe voids the warranty... *severe eye roll* if anything the dpf/egr delete would extend the life of the turbo......

fyi the car only has 111k miles on it

2012 TDI-6MT
so what are the chances that

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
continuing the saga, I called another VW dealership and spoke to their service department, and told them what's going on with the car, and that 1 shop said HPFP and another shop told me locked up turbo (I neglected to mention that the 2nd shop is a vw dealership) and they disagreed, and said that sounds "highly unlikely"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
side note, I dont really give a crap about it being covered under warranty, and am fully prepared to drop the 500-600$ on the HPFP... I sent it to VW at the request of Guy, who said if its covered I might as well get it done for free instead of paying him... cant beat that logic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
If you think a HPFP is only $500-$600 to repair you are delusional. Try $6,000+. The pump is about $1,500 and the collateral damage caused by metal contaminating the fuel system is about $5,000. With any luck you may be covered because of the low mileage.

Deleting the the DPF/EGR may give them cause to void your warranty if the mod in any way contributed to the problem your car is having. If a failure is not caused by a mod you have done, they cannot void your warranty. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

If they are saying locked up turbo, go to the dealer and have them show you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it ended up being the turbo, nut spun off the compressor wheel and went down into compressor housing... VW did not warranty... but I put a new turbo on it and its still ticking.. needs new motor/trans/subframe mounts now ¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you think a HPFP is only $500-$600 to repair you are delusional. Try $6,000+. The pump is about $1,500 and the collateral damage caused by metal contaminating the fuel system is about $5,000. With any luck you may be covered because of the low mileage.

Deleting the the DPF/EGR may give them cause to void your warranty if the mod in any way contributed to the problem your car is having. If a failure is not caused by a mod you have done, they cannot void your warranty. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

If they are saying locked up turbo, go to the dealer and have them show you.

btw, I actually purchased a brand new HPFP (the exact one I needed) for 700 and change and ended up having to send it back and eat the restocking fee when it turned out to be the turbo... which is what I was referring to on the cost, the HPFP by itself...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts