VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I don't know how I feel about it...and it doesn't matter since I don't own one but my general opinion is that while it's handy, a physical dipstick should at least be on the car somewhere. For one thing, does this force you to do the oil change through the oil filter housing instead of the dipstick?

Is there a physical dipstick option? It's not like seeing the color of the engine oil makes any difference since even new TDI engine oil is turned black from the little bit of carbon coloring the leftover oil pockets when doing an oil change. So maybe this is better.

Thanks to VolksTrooper for pointing this out and providing a photo. It's been added to the buying guide for the 2011.

Edit: added another thread for the part numbers on how to retrofit the physical dipstick
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f20/oil-dipstick-retrofit-2011-vw-touareg-tdi-4586/#post20803

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes there is a dipstick tube with a plastic plug in the end. I have ordered a dipstick for my 2011 TDI and I think it is the same one as the previous year. I think it is about $16 CDN - I should have kept the dipstick from our '09 :p

I agree with the observation about the colour of the oil, but also the smell is informative. The biggest pproblem is that it means you do not have to open the hood and look at things. I like to keep an eye on the engine compartment, and sometimes can catch a little problem before it becomes a big one, and checking the oil gives me the excuse to look around.

·
Registered
9 Posts
At least you can add a dipstick inexpensively. my two cents

·
Registered
1 Posts
Electronic dipstick

Ive been driving a Sprinter for 3 years, and when new I checked the electronic display against the dipstick 3 times. Assuring myself the sit in the car & check function worked as advertised, I never touched the dipstick again. I like it on my 2011 Touareg TDI.
So far, with a light foot, I've averaged 26 mpg overall and close to 30 mpg on turnpike trips. The gauge and reality (dividing miles since fill by gallons used) seem to be in close agreement.
Recently PEP Boys had a black Friday sale on Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 with the VW 5007.00 spec on the bottle for $4.00/ quart so I bought the allowed 12 quarts for topping off. On long trips the MB diesel burns 2-3 quarts per 10,000 miles, and I expect the VW TDI might do the same. Experiences?
At ~12,000 miles the MB gained 1.5 mpg. Can I expect the same from this engine?
Bill in PA

·
Registered
9 Posts
In the first 9,000 km our 2011 TDI has not touched any oil. Our '09 Touareg TDI used about a litre (US quart) in the first 1000km, then very little after. So far I have seen little evidence of break-in on the 2011. This may be due to the micro pitting of the cylinder walls that is supposed to reduce friction and wear, and is unique -so far - the the V6 TDI.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have no problem with an electronic oil level system as long as they have a backup dipstick for confirmation.

We had a BMW brought into the shop with an oil level problem. The customer stated that the oil level light came on so she put in a quart of oil as advised by the owners manual. The light was still on so she brought to us. There is no way to check the oil so we had to drain and measure it. There was only 1000 miles on the oil so we measured it, found it one quart overfull, and put it back in. Wonder of wonders, the level sensor then worked.

Makes me wonder what you would do on the road if that happened, far from anywhere. How would you confirm oil level? Give me a dipstick anytime, sure it is low tech, but some things should stay that way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts