VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
continued from part 1 http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/treg/2011-vw-touareg-tdi-buying-guide.htm

Power upgrades like a chip or tune for 2011 VW Touareg TDI

I've only seen a chip from Upsolute and that's for the 2010 (2011 engine is the same). Obviously, if it causes a problem the dealer doesn't have to warranty anything that could have been related to the chip. Any aftermarket modification will never void warranty coverage on the entire car (unless it affects the entire car). If you click on the link you can see that power goes up to 280hp and 435 lb-ft of torque. If you know of another chip, please post it in the forums. The transmission is designed to take up to 627 lb-ft of torque.

Other misc stuff to know about the Touareg like features or quirks

The max payload in the TDI is 1188 lb (539kg). The max roof weight is 220 lb (100kg).

Dealers can "order" as many cars as they want but they are only allocated a certain number of cars to sell. If you put down money, get a commission number and keep on top of the salesman. They should be happy to hear from you if you give them your hard earned money.

Many people have complained about the HD radio going into mono. When it's in regular radio you can clearly hear the separation between L and R but when it goes into HD mode the radio goes into mono. As far as I can tell this is a design problem with the head unit hardware or firmware. If the HD radio signal turns bright the signal is locked on and it should be high quality stereo.

The coming home and leaving home setting turns on the headlights and interior lights when you lock or unlock the car.

The power rear folding backrests are really power fall-down. You still have to manually unlock them from the upright position and lock them in the folded position. Once nice features is that they are locked down vs. many other cars which let the rear seats flop around on bumpy roads. (thanks to [email protected] for the tip!)

If the side mirror switch is set to passenger, the passenger side mirror tilts down when you shift into reverse. This lets you see the curb better. They can also fold in for clearance. There are also puddle lights under the side mirrors that illuminate the ground near the doors.

There are 5 power outlets: four 12V (cig lighter outlet) plugs and 1 household inverter plug (115V) in the rear of the center console (below right). Below left is a picture of the rear outlets. You can also see the buttons for rear seat folding.

The auto headlights and wipers work off a rain/light sensor in the rear view mirror base that looks out at the windshield.

Homelink lets you program 3 remotes. It does work with rolling code remotes. It's in the overhead console. There is also a compass and clock there.

Below is a walkaround by Mico in San Francisco. It's of a V6 gas engine but most of the features are the same.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpFCuuOmWUY

Using biodiesel in your 2011 VW Touareg TDI

All diesel engines will run fine on high quality biodiesel. For the basics of biodiesel, see 1000q: intro to biodiesel. However, VW's official limit for biodiesel in the Touareg's 3.0L TDI CATA engine and all TDI engines is a maximum of 5% biodiesel (B5). The main concern is the quality of fuel used and the emissions system. Bad fuel of any kind will cause damage. The emission system for the Touareg has a diesel particulate filter (DPF) which traps soot and burns it out during a self clean cycle. A SCR reduction catalyst uses Adblue fluid to reduce NOx emissions by about 90%. The long term effects aren't known on the new common rail engines. There is also a concern that because biodiesel can linger longer than petrol diesel, it can accumulate in the engine oil during the self clean post combustion injection of fuel. For details of the emissions system, read 1000q: DPF filter and Adblue fluid FAQ. Biodiesel also gels at a higher temperature than regular diesel so you must use anti-gel additives in cold conditions.

Delivery inspection

The biggest complaint of the delivery process is inconsistent delivery inspection. Some items aren't done even though it's checked off and you paid a high labor rate for dealer prep. All dealers are independent from VW so there's a bit of inconsistency in how well they do the dealer prep. Even though the Touareg is quite an expensive car, it's serviced by the same guys who service much cheaper cars. As a result, some aren't as good as luxury only car dealers. Again, all dealers are different so your experience may vary.

Don't be distracted from the happiness of taking delivery that you may miss any problem with the car. Once you drive off the lot, you'll have a harder time proving things like missed damage to the car or scratches. Since you paid them tens of thousands of dollars, don't be pressured to rush off the lot.

While I think every car should have a first rate paint job, this is simply not the case. Because of the high price of the Touareg, I would hold it to higher standards. Carefully inspect your Touareg for even panel gap and paint defects. It's normal industry practice to repair any cars damaged during final factory inspection or shipping without disclosure. Sometimes the repair isn't done well. The only possible problem of a repaired panel is removing paint protection films - it can pull the paint off during removal.

A somewhat common complaint I've heard from VWs lately is moisture under the clearcoat which shows up as lighter spots of paint. It doesn't make any sense since all chassis are baked after painting to cure the paint, but people have used hairdryers to heat the light spots of moisture and it disappears. How it gets there is unknown but it's there.

Make sure the dealer tops off the Adblue tank before delivery! It is not topped off at the factory and you will quickly run out if they neglected this item on their delivery checklist.

Bad auto detailing can actually cause paint damage like swirl marks, spiderwebbing, or halos. It's worst on black cars. Inspect the paint under a strong light for defects. See 1000q: polishing paint for some examples of swirl marks or spiderwebbing. Clay bar treatment will also remove any rail dust, sea salt, or other dirt that got stuck into the paint during transport over sea or rail. See 1000q: claybar treatment for details. It's a new car and should have new condition paint. Another common problem on new cars in general is orange peel. This is a rippling of the paint and must be removed by wetsanding and polishing the paint. This can be corrected by any good auto detailer. Perfectly smooth paint should reflect like the red image on right. Very minor rippling is considered normal for a mass produced car.

VW quirks/features and other misc stuff to know after taking delivery of 2011 VW Touareg TDI

Don't put gasoline in your Touareg TDI! The most common situations where it get gas is: someone saw a green fuel handle and assumed it was diesel, a friend fills it up for you when they borrow the car and put gas in it, or the car runs out of fuel and roadside assistance brings gas. The car could also get misfueled at the dealer because the keys could get passed to a few different people while it's there. If your TDI ever has gas in it, stop as soon as practical and safe and tow it to a mechanic! Don't risk getting into an accident by pulling over suddenly! They must drain the entire fuel system, change the fuel filter, and refill the entire system with fresh diesel and a can of fuel lubricity additive like powerservice. Gasoline is a solvent, diesel fuel is an oil.

Fuel economy can be low in the beginning because the engine hasn't broken in yet. It could increase up to 15%. Most car salespeople don't know much about cars beyond what's in the sales brochure so I wouldn't take mechanical advice from them. I would just follow the instructions in your owner's manual. See 1000q: engine break in for some more detailed explanations.

The Touareg has been built in Bratislava, Slovakia for a long time alongside other VW. The bare chassis are built alongside Audi Q7 and Porsche Cayenne. The Q7 is longer and the Cayenne has final assembly in Germany so they're not exactly the same. The plant has an innovative ski-lift transportation system to move cars around.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the Touareg runs the exhaust fan during an exhaust filter self clean cycle. This is how it is on other VW TDI. You may smell something like burning rubber or a chemical type smell from the exhaust. This is most likely in stop-go conditions or if you just shut off the car and step outside. Much more information can be found in the FAQ article: 1000q: DPF and Adblue FAQ for VW.

Any diesel engine could experience a type of malfunction which causes a runaway. This is a rare problem where the engine races due to eating its own engine oil. The car can also accelerate if it's not in neutral. If this ever happens to you, keep positive control over the car and shut off the engine as soon as it's safe and practical. Do not restart the engine until it's been examined! Read more about a diesel engine runaway and some causes at 1000q: runaway engine FAQ.

A common problem on older cars was rusty or sticking turbo "wastegate" actuators. All Touareg TDI use variable vane turbos and because the actuator is fully electronically controlled instead of electro-pnuematic (solenoid), it shouldn't have problems from old and cracked vacuum lines for the actuator. Because the turbo is on top of the car, it should also have less exposure to road salts. I would bet a side effect of a top mount turbo is faster snow melting on the car's hood due to exhaust heat.

A common complaint on German cars in general is a fast speedometer. German law doesn't allow for slow speedometers even after equipment variations like different wheel and tire sizes. The odometer reading should be correct for warranty and maintenance purposes. The mpg meter is based off that so it should be fairly accurate. However, the best way to calculate fuel economy is by filling the tank all the way at the same pump each time, and dividing the amount of fuel pumped to the miles traveled. You can adjust the speedometer and fuel economy meter. See 1000q: speedometer fix or 1000q: mpg meter fix for more details. It's for a mk5 Jetta but the same basic procedure applies.

The car can tell the difference between the key fobs and will set the seats and mirrors according to which key fob you have (assumes you have memory seats).

The ignition switch is now electronic and can be turned left or right. Models with Kessy (keyless access and engine start button) don't have an ignition switch.

If the front wipers are on, the rear wiper will activate when you go into reverse. The climate control also goes into recirculate mode so that the cabin air intake isn't sucking in exhaust.

If you unlock the car using the remote and don't open the driver's side door within 30 seconds, the car will relock. This is to prevent accidental unlocking. If the car doesn't seem to know that the driver's side door was opened, the microswitch in the door handle module is bad.

If you need to replace your VW smart key fob, you must buy a new one due to the immobilizer. This applies to both keyless entry or keyless access (w/start button) systems. The immobilizer chip is completely separate from the remote fob on keyless entry. If the immo chip isn't programmed correctly, the engine off 1 second after starting it. See 1000q: immobilizer FAQfor more details. The only way you can reuse used keys is if you salvage the immo chip or just need a remote half (not the metal key half).

The Touareg TDI must use only VW spec 507.00 engine oil
for warranty purposes and to maximize the DPF filter. DO NOT trust the dealer to comply with this requirement, even under their 3 years/36,000 mile free maintenance program! Dealer techs are busy and sometimes they don't know any better. It could just be a matter of which bottle is closer. Always check which oil will be used on your car with the exact mechanic who is changing the oil. Also check the receipt for the part number.507 spec engine oil is important because it's very low ash. The more ash in the engine oil, the faster the DPF exhaust particulate filter will clog with ash, requiring removal and cleaning of it. See 1000q: DPF FAQ for more on this system. Some oils that meet this spec are Castrol SLX Professional LL03, Motul specific VW 507.00, Total Quartz Ineo 5w30 507.00, and Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30.

The part numbers for VW 507.00 oil are:
VW# g v52 195 a1 (g v52 195 a1) for .5 liter
VW# gvw 052 195 m2 (gvw 052 195 m2) for 1 liter
VW# gvw 052 195 m4 (gvw 052 195 m4)for 5 liters

Here is a link to the the TSB in .pdf format which lists engine oils approved by VW - click to view it (scroll down to the bottom for 507.00 oils) https://www.myturbodiesel.com/d2/images/pdf/vwoiltsb.pdf

Never use any coolant other than OEM VW G12 or G12 compatible coolants in the antifreeze system! This includes green Prestone. It will cause sludging and turn brown. The coolant system is sealed so if it's low, figure out where it's leaking.

All plastic headlight lenses will become weathered and pitted over time. UV-resistant headlight covers or protectors will keep your headlights looking like new. After the covers age, they can be removed and replaced. Paint protection film over the front hood and fenders can also help prevent rock chips but it also costs a lot more than simple headlight covers. Paint protection film also reduces the shininess of the paint and will leave a line where it ends but it's not noticeable unless you're looking closely. It can also be removed without any damage to original paint. Paint film should never be used on repainted panels since it can pull off the paint.

There are 2 red LED lights in the overhead console that point down at the radio. This is ambient lighting.

The instrument cluster is plastic and covered in an anti glare coating. Use a soft cloth (preferably microfiber) and water to clean it. Never use paper towels! Paper towels are basically made of wood pulp and will cause microscratches.

You may hear a high pitched whine or clicking at the center-rear of the engine when you turn the car on and off. This is the EGR valve self calibrating.

All emissions equipment is covered under warranty under federal emissions laws. Do not tamper with any federal emissions equipment. Due to the engine management system, there is no way to disable the DPF or bypass the DPF on a Touareg TDI. If you remove the DPF filter on your Touareg, it will set off a check engine light. It's possible that it can be disabled but your car would no longer be in compliance with emissions. See 1000q: DPF and Adblue system FAQ for more details on the "clean diesel" system. Never add water to the Adblue system since it will cause damage!

Do not add aftermarket rustproofing since it will void the factory rust warranty. VW are dipped in anti-rust zinc coatings and have a few layers of paint to prevent rust. While it could still happen and the rust warranty only covers certain kinds of rust, the best thing to do is to wash your car regularly, including the undercarriage. See 1000q: car detailing index for tips on how to avoid scratches and swirl marks from car washing. The best thing to do is to avoid automatic car washes unless they are "touchless".

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Note about the power rear folding seats added. They still have to be manually released and locked down. The power fold just tilts them down. I'm not sure what the point of adding this feature is because IMHO, the point of having an electric button is having automation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The US VW site shows the ground clearance as 7.9"
http://www.vw.com/en/models/touareg/features_and_specs.s9_trimlevel_detail.suffix.html/2011_touareg~2Ftdi.html#/tab=d8e6b1b8b530d3163136a56cfa25504e

The page 1 leading to this page, has the clearance as 6.3 for the 2011 TDI and 2011 hybrid (likely a typo: the minimum ground clearance for the air suspension)
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/treg/2011-vw-touareg-tdi-buying-guide.htm

One desired info would be the cargo dimensions.. specifically the length to the back of the front seats, and the the same length when the front seats are moved all the way forward. And the height of the cargo section.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, it's now been fixed. Many of the early numbers came from the UK version of the Touareg. While I value all visitors, the buying guides are focused for North America because I don't have access to European cars.

Also edited is the cargo room. There is a difference in how they measure cargo room in the UK vs. America. I don't know why. Here are the differences in cu ft:

cargo room r seats up:
32.1 (US) vs. 20.5 (Euro)

cargo room r seats down:
70.9 (US) vs. 58 (Euro)

I don't know why. Also, I'm pretty sure that VW's official website has an error. They list the TDI and hybrid as having the same rear cargo room. The UK site lists the hybrid as having less cargo room. This makes sense because the battery pack is back there.

One desired info would be the cargo dimensions.. specifically the length to the back of the front seats, and the the same length when the front seats are moved all the way forward. And the height of the cargo section.
I can't find this but you could ask this guy: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f20/2011-touareg-night-blue-over-saddle-5634/ and I will add these dimensions

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is the best picture I could find. It does not show the change in rear cargo length when you slide the rear seats. Also, although its shows the floor for the front and rear seats, there's no way to know the floor of the cargo area.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Added a note about making sure the dealer topped off the adblue when taking delivery. Adblue is included under the free service but it's still inconvenient to leave the dealer and shortly have to come back when the Adblue warning light comes on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the Heads-up on Ad Blue

I pick my 2012 Lux TDI on Friday. It would be a real bummer to get out on the road & get a warning light. Do you recommend diesel fuel additives with ULSD due to lack of lubricity.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Personally, I would use B5. But to prevent any possible warranty problems I would call VW and get confirmation directly from them. I agree that increasing lubricity during break in for at least the first few thousand miles is a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
9,151 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts