VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little birdie sent me this internal .pdf memo. The scanned reference is attached. Why it's not public and on VW's website I have no clue because this is rather important to prospective customers.

The following TDI are approved for these amounts until the end of the year.

$650: Jetta sedan/sportwagen and manual transmission Golf.
$850: DSG Golf

2010 Touareg: $575
2011 Touareg: $450

Even though the 2011 Touareg has better mpg due to losing a few hundred lbs and the new 8 speed transmission, the weight class put it into a different fuel economy bracket.

Details of how this credit is calculated are in the tax credit FAQ here:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/TDI-tax-credit.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
So do we see these tax credits on our purchase agreement or is it something we collect at tax time? I just bought a manual golf TDI yesterday and didn't see anything on the invoice concerning this tax credit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hmm, when filing my taxes the credit for the 2011 Golf isn't available. Has there been some kind of mix up or is the IRS form not yet updated?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, when filing my taxes the credit for the 2011 Golf isn't available. Has there been some kind of mix up or is the IRS form not yet updated?
Please refer to the tax credit FAQ article, there's a reference in there. 2011 Golf credit is the same as 2010 Golf credit (assuming same credit ramp down period). The only 2011 model which the amount changed for was the 2011 Touareg because it changed weight classes. The IRS form wasn't updated for almost a year before I released updates sales numbers and info. I doubt the section mentioning 2011 models is updated yet.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
As of this morning, TurboTax only is allowing the tax credit for the 2010 Golf TDI. If you select "other model year," the response is that your non-2010 Golf does not qualify for the tax credit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Called VW customer service line today and they are saying that the 2011 cars are definitely qualified for the tax credit. She sent me to the same IRS page that does not list the any 2011 VW's. She suggested I call the IRS...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't Bother Calling

I've already called the IRS. The 2011 Golf (or any 2011 model year diesel for that matter) does NOT qualify for the tax credit according to uncle sam, even if bought in 2010. I talked with VW corporate today about this very issue, and I basically got the standard 'we're going to open a case and look in to it, we'll get back to you this week' response. VW says they qualify even though I gave the representative the web address to the IRS site that shows 2011 models don't. As for the internal memo pdf posted earlier that states they do qualify, I was told that the document could possibly be fake. (The representative specifically said that 'the document could be a forgery or faked')

I love my 2011 Golf - but being lied to at the dealership about getting a tax credit of $850 has left me a bit miffed at VW.

I'm not sure there is much more recourse than writing bad reviews if you've had the same experience - the dealership I bought the car from is basically ignoring my calls and messages, and when I do get someone they always ask 'what salesperson told you that you were getting a tax credit?' as if they are going to hold him responsible for the false information.

If anyone has any better luck getting their credit without having to lie about the model year of their car, let me know -

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've already called the IRS. The 2011 Golf (or any 2011 model year diesel for that matter) does NOT qualify for the tax credit according to uncle sam, even if bought in 2010. I talked with VW corporate today about this very issue, and I basically got the standard 'we're going to open a case and look in to it, we'll get back to you this week' response. VW says they qualify even though I gave the representative the web address to the IRS site that shows 2011 models don't. As for the internal memo pdf posted earlier that states they do qualify, I was told that the document could possibly be fake. (The representative specifically said that 'the document could be a forgery or faked')

I love my 2011 Golf - but being lied to at the dealership about getting a tax credit of $850 has left me a bit miffed at VW.

I'm not sure there is much more recourse than writing bad reviews if you've had the same experience - the dealership I bought the car from is basically ignoring my calls and messages, and when I do get someone they always ask 'what salesperson told you that you were getting a tax credit?' as if they are going to hold him responsible for the false information.

If anyone has any better luck getting their credit without having to lie about the model year of their car, let me know -
Sure it's possible that the document was fake...oh give me a break though. VW customer service doesn't know their left hand from their right and multiple people reported being told that their 2011 would qualify and that their dealers had confirmed it. As for the IRS updates, I estimated their TDI sales numbers for the tax credit months before they released ANY updated numbers for 2010.

Is it possible? Yes. If the dealership told you something like that they should be liable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep, the official docs appear to be up today. And 2011's not listed.

A past conversation with an IRS person (who apparently works on this stuff), he said that they were waiting for VW to submit certain forms/information to get the 2011's listed (they werent' technical docs, or regarding specs...more something along the lines of information security or something like that).

I've since tried to get the same guy, but no luck. It appears that either VW never got that stuff in, or some other problem occurred which screwed us.

I've seen the Mark Barnes memo too, be wonderful if we could find someone who could confirm its authenticity.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
IRS web page has been updated effective 2-10-11. 2011's are now listed. However, TurboTax has yet to update their software to reflect the change as of this afternoon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Taxact sent me an e-mail regarding my questions and said that the updated list will be included in their next update (they didn't give a date, but that they would notify me when it happened).

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Taxact sent me an e-mail regarding my questions and said that the updated list will be included in their next update (they didn't give a date, but that they would notify me when it happened).
I suspect the online tax programs won't be updated until the IRS updates the Form 8910 instructions. As of this morning, the 8910 instructions only lists the 2011 ALBT vehicles that were listed on the IRS web page back in October 2010; i.e., BMW and Mercedes.

More waiting.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts