VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
7,764 miles and fuel line to #2 cylinder line cracks. VW replaced line and injecter. anybody heard of this or is it just my luck?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I've heard of a few cases of pinhole leaks in the high pressure fuel side. A big crack? No.

also, post moved to mk6 section since it's a bit more than a quick intro.

welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
There have been a couple that I can recall,but its not a common problem. Here is one that I know of
==========================================================================

Marlyece

TDI(s): 2010 Golf TDI DSG
Fuel Economy: 42

2010 Golf tdi apparent fuel leak

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So bad news. We were driving from Madison, wi to Springfield il and around 200 miles I lost power and noticed fuel was spraying from underneath the car. We were stranded at a loves station and had a tow truck drive our car to Peoria vw which is supposed to be reputable. Fuel seems to be coming from somewhere under engine. Any ideas? I didn't hit anything on the road and picked up diesel before heading out from a reputable Shell in Madison. I'm freaking out here hours from home 11 k on car.

Broken fuel line. They are awaiting a part and it should be fixed tomorrow.

It was a cracked fuel line to injector for cylinder #2. It shows 23301933 injection line remove and reinstall 16 WVW4 1 03L-130-301-r pipe 01500000 GFF/Guided Functions 16 WVW4 FC: 233010 WW0 Part# 03L-130-301-R

·
Registered
3 Posts
This just happened to my 2011 TDI with 6,600 mile on it. Diesel was everywhere, the whole undercarraige and back bumper was dripping diesel. I popped the hood and it was fuming off, it looked like it was coming from an injecter. Unfortunately I was hundreds of miles from home when it happened. I had to have it towed 75 miles to a dealer on Memorial Day. I was hoping to have purchased a reliable car, since it left me and my family stranded in another state, I guess I didn't.

·
Registered
126 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would second the request that this should be reported, fuel leaking is a significant safety concern. I am the author of the "fuel leak" post and since the repair my JSW has been fine, I am over 10k miles now about 5k since the incident.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I will register as soon as I get my car returned from the dealer. The service manager told me yesterday that there is so much fuel in the engine compartment that they cannot start the car to see where it is leaking from. I told them about the fuel injector leaks and he told me he has not heard of the problem. He said that Volkswagen is sending a rep to look at the leak.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm a diesel guy by trade and have worked with a large percentage of the makes and models, mostly marine grade stuff and they have all had a predisposition for fuel line issues. This is typically a by-product of the high pressures and impulses that the lines are subjected too and it is likely much worse with the complex injection cycling these engines have. It doesn't make it right but that and Turbo supply lines are things I watch carefully due to all my experiances. With a venue like the NHTSA on our side it is certainly worth drafting a complaint.
Beyond the fuel line repairs i would inspect all of your fiborous heat shielding/acoustic insulation and ensure that it isn't saturated with fuel. That stuff would be ripe for flashing off....weeks down the line if it isn't changed out.
Good luck and sorry about the trouble. Matt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same problem on 2011 Jetta

My fuel injector and line failed at about 5500 miles. Had fuel leaking all over the place. Had to have the care towed to the dealer. They replaced the #2 injector and line. They also had to replace the engine cover because the fuel saturated the foam lining.

I did report it to NHTSA and they contacted me for the information and for my copy of the work order.

So far the car has had no leaks since the repair.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Long delay on follow-up because me car was at 2 different dealerships for 30 days. I'm gonna try to make this as short as possible. Volkswagen took the engine out instead of just fixing the leak, so they could ship the engine to Germany to run it on a test stand. My TDI with only 6422 miles had a new engine put in. It took 3 weeks to get the new engine from germany (the dealership told me it would be next day). They call me to come get the car, that it was done. When I got up there the car didn't even get washed yet. The diesel had been sitting on the paint for 3 weeks and they did nothing about it. Even after they wasked it the car reaked of diesel. i asked them if they changed the fiber engine hood cover. they told me no and it would have to get approved for them to do that. I reluctantly drove the car back to califronia. Once i got it back to california I called Volkswagen of america, they set me up to take it to the dealership that i bought if from for a detail. It spent 9 days there on the service ticket they noted "Found engine cover soaked with diesel. Removed and replaced engine cover". The washed it well and the smell seems to be gone but not I have to worry about what the diesel did to the clearcoat after sitting on it for 3 weeks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cylinder #2 Fuel Line Leak

2011 jetta sportwagon with 4140 miles. Started leaking diesel fuel 400 miles from home on vacation. Limped into Limon, Colorado. The glow light warning light came on and then shortly thereafter, started blinking--indicating to take to dealership immediately. Fuel was all over the undercarriage, right side panels and the rear hatch. The repairs took 4 days, and I was provided a rental car as "trip interuption." Cylinder #2 was culprit. The injector port fittings seemed to be the site of leaking. They replaced the #2 fuel line and cleaned engine compartment. VW also replaced the engine cover, and the sound absorber; also needed cleaning of the engine compatment. The car still smells of diesel fuel, especially in the garage.

This #2 cylinder seems to be presenting a problem for many low mileage Jetta diesels.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
2011 jetta sportwagon with 4140 miles. Started leaking diesel fuel 400 miles from home on vacation. Limped into Limon, Colorado. The glow light warning light came on and then shortly thereafter, started blinking--indicating to take to dealership immediately. Fuel was all over the undercarriage, right side panels and the rear hatch. The repairs took 4 days, and I was provided a rental car as "trip interuption." Cylinder #2 was culprit. The injector port fittings seemed to be the site of leaking. They replaced the #2 fuel line and cleaned engine compartment. VW also replaced the engine cover, and the sound absorber; also needed cleaning of the engine compatment. The car still smells of diesel fuel, especially in the garage.

This #2 cylinder seems to be presenting a problem for many low mileage Jetta diesels.
Did you report to the NTHSA? It won't get attention unless enough people complain about this specific issue.

I will add a note to the buying guides to watch out for this.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Actionable Item (Very Report Worthy)

I strongly agree with Chitty and you, as well as the unfortunate others, need to file a report with the NHTSA: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

This is very actionable failure for the NHTSA to pursue, as the failure is presenting on the same cylinder/fitting, has an objective attribute (major fuel leak), is specific to a single engine design (TDI Clean Diesel), and is traceable back to dealer service records.

Does anyone have a picture of the failed fitting? Is it a line coming loose, a cracked fitting, a sealing washer...?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts