VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum, so if this is re-post of an earlier topic please forgive me (although I don't think it is because I searched high and low to try and find the answer to my question). Anyway, my wife and I are looking at buying a car in the near future and we both really love the 2010 Jetta Sportwagen. So, here is my dilemma. I know that VW is not making any changes to the sportwagen for '11 other than a smaller navigation screen (which I see can easily be changed! This forum rocks!) and some different colors. I also know that the 2011 Jetta is going to be completely different. So my question is does anyone know if sportwagen, when it gets a full update, will it be in line with the jetta, ie losing the independent rear suspension, cheaper materials, etc? Or will VW keep the sportwagen inline with the Golf because it is truly a golf variant? I realize that this is probably a stupid question, but I want to know if it would be in my best interest to buy a 2010 Sportwagen, or if it is ok to wait and not be burned with less of a car.

Thanks!

Ian

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I'm guessing that any changes to the 2011 model lineup are almost final.

Since it hasn't been mentioned before, my best guess is that the wagon will keep the independant rear suspension. I'll bet it will not become like the Jetta anytime soon because the rest of the world calls it a Golf, and it sells quite well overseas as a Golf variant. Canada still calls it the Golf wagon. So I'll bet it'll get mk6 Golf upgrades like thicker glass and revised chassis sometime in the future, (2012 and beyond) rather than be based off the mk6 Jetta. And while they did cheapen the Jetta quite a bit, it also costs about $1000 less in TDI trim.

Of course, this is just a guess.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wouldn't it just be easier to just use Golf chassis to make the sportwagens instead of continuing to use the mk5 chassis? Why make more parts than necessary? Then they could cut inventory and streamline production.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
They're still using the mk5 chassis all over the place. They recently stopped selling the mk4 Jetta and Golf in Canada as the City Jetta and Golf. In China, one of the biggest car markets in the world, they still sold the mk3 Passat as the Santana and the mk4 Passat is still sold there as the Passat. The current mk5 Passat is sold there as the Magotan. The same thing with the Jetta.

And the chassis is still used for the Sportwagen TDI. The car still sells well as the Golf Variant worldwide. So they've got plenty of use for the parts.

The Golf are built in Germany. The Jetta wagon / sportwagen are built in Mexico. I don't know the logistics of it all but I bet that doesn't help either.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If the wagons and sedans are made in Mexico, why wouldn't they both be on the same platform? They could just change the name of the Golf Variant to sportwagen or Jetta wagon.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wouldn't it just be easier to just use Golf chassis to make the sportwagens instead of continuing to use the mk5 chassis?
All '09+ Sportwagens are on the Golf chassis. There aren't that many differences underneath a MK V and MK VI Golf. I've had both in the air next to each other, and most parts were interchangeable.

If the wagons and sedans are made in Mexico, why wouldn't they both be on the same platform? They could just change the name of the Golf Variant to sportwagen or Jetta wagon.
The unibodies are completely different, the wheelbase, width and length are all greater on the '11 Jetta. The current wagon body just won't "slip on".

It is a cost savings move to keep the current JSW in the line right now rather than engineer an entirely new rear end for the new car. In other markets VW offers the Golf Plus, Passat wagon and the all-new Touran for those that need more room than the current Golf Varient/JSW.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts