VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a set of 'door sill protectors' for a 2011 Jetta Sportwagen. I have contacted the VW dealer and was informed that VW only offers a rear hatch sill protector. I have looked at the internet aftermarket suppliers and can't find anything for a 2011 JSW. I contacted OEMPlus and was informed that there is nothing offered for the 2011 JSW. As a last resort I looked at some "universal" door sill protectors, but the quality of these systems is just plain dis-respectful to the car. Anybody know of a source of supply for door sill protectors for a 2011 JSW?

Ironically during my search for door sill protectors, I dropped a tool when installing the passenger side under the seat storage bin...and I chipped the right side door sill paint system - which just confirms the need for protection in the door sills.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
That's strange, normally OEM plus is pretty good about that stuff. I show in the parts catalog, a stainless sill protector, VW# 1k0061195 (1k0 061 195) and another part number, 1k0061197 (1k0 061 197) without any description other than sill protector. About $50. EDIT: it does show up online: http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-R32_MKV--3.2/Exterior/Body/ES9790/ here is one example, but it's shown for the mk5, not your mk6 bumper. When I look at the parts diagram it's showing up for the 2011 and 2012 Golf wagon. Maybe they are the same.

Stainless steel sills (not sure if protective strip or just decoration) 1k9071303 (1k9 071 303). These are EURO parts, not North American parts but OEM plus is pretty good about ordering euro parts, it just costs more. The dealer cannot order Euro parts...unless you're in Europe :) Here is an image: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-ESTATE-SILL-PANEL-SCUFF-PLATE-1K9071303-NEW-VW-/380272241393?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5889fdeaf1#vi-desc or

There might be a small difference in fitment because it's a European Golf wagon part due to their different crash standards but I haven't noticed any difference in a quick glance.

·
Super Moderator
9,579 Posts
Yes I searched ETKA for this item and it shows a couple of numbers for the Jetta.

Entry strip with lettering, front and rear - 5C6 071 303 - no price

Sill panel protective foil anthracite/black - 5C6 071 310 19A - no price

Sill panel protective foil transparent - 5C6 071 310 908 - no price

I google it these part numbers.

Accessories for the Jetta.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Pardon my ignorance on the subtle nuances between US and Euro builds. So "Golf" and "JSW" are the same car, just Euro or US builds? The confusion is that we have both a Golf and a JSW stateside.

·
Super Moderator
9,579 Posts
No not in Europe they aren't.

Well we can't get the Jetta anymore those are only made for the States it appears. The Jetta in Europe was along the same lines as the Passat, we can still get the Passat here.

Golfs are Golfs anywhere.

Sorry I've just checked VW UK and the New Jetta is now available again.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/#/new/jetta-vi

When I've searched before they weren't.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Pardon my ignorance on the subtle nuances between US and Euro builds. So "Golf" and "JSW" are the same car, just Euro or US builds? The confusion is that we have both a Golf and a JSW stateside.
Just to add one more thing,

In the US (for 2010+), JSW is the Jetta wagon but it's not related to the current Jetta at all.

In Europe, JSW is the Golf variant.

In Canada, JSW is the Golf wagon.

These are all the same car but different names. And the JSW is built off the mk5 platform with mk6 style front-back and electronics. There is a list of yearly changes in the JSW buying guide in the FAQ.

·
Super Moderator
9,579 Posts
In Europe, JSW is the Golf variant.
VW's naming gets worse.

In the UK the US station wagon is an estate.

I've never really understood this Variant terminology? In ETKA it says Golf and Golf Variant they are all bleeding Golfs the fact that they make variations of a Golf model TDI, GTI, GT, R, S, Match, Twist, BlueMotion, Plus, Estate shouldn't make any difference.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That explains why I was thoroughly confused with regards to the naming conventions.

As for the 2011 JSW being similar to but not related to the current Jetta, I am still getting my head around that. There are some clamant and some subtle differences, and I have come to think of the 2011 JSW as a 'blended' model.

The biggest bummer was not being able to locate an in stock JSW TDI with a backup camera. I would do it myself, but I see this as a cost prohibitive matter, as it looks like, based on the other threads I have read, that I will have to install the navigation radio head to get the extra buttons and video inputs for the backup camera. I believe that I currently have the RCD 510 radio head.

·
Super Moderator
9,579 Posts
The rear camera may fit the RCD 510 it will depend on the version number.

Requirements: RNS 510 with firmware version 1100 or greater or RCD 510 (not sure of firmware version requirements for RCD 510 and not all RCD 510′s have the video input on the rear – at this stage only RCD 510′s supplied with cars optioned with the RVC come with the video input).
Installing a Golf Mark VI Rear View Camera (RVC) into a Golf Mark VI

Differences between the Volkswagen RCD 210, RCD 310, RNS 310, RCD 510 and the RNS 510

·
Registered
2 Posts
A great solution for sill and rear bumper protection can be found at autovinylsolutions.com. The product can be cut to any size and has loads of applications in and around you vehicle. If you contact them they will send samples FOC.

·
Super Moderator
9,579 Posts
Well we can't get the Jetta anymore those are only made for the States it appears.
Update: Over the last month or so I've noticed the New Jetta has now become avalaible in the UK.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the recommendation. From that site I was able to locate the 3M Scotchguard Paint Protection Film system. It can be bought in rolls of varying width and is clear, so it is described as "virtually invisible". From that I am going to try and fabricate, fit, and install a prototype door sill protector.

I even found a site that sells custom body film kits made from the 3M Scotchguard Paint Protection Film that are pre-cut to the specific makes and models: http://www.cleardefender.com/ However, they don't make a door sill kit.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
They don't list the JSW, but I wonder if Golf MKV or MKVI sills would work. Of the places I checked, I liked the ones from Lockwood the best. See the link. They do have Golf MKVI and MKV, as well as Jetta sills. It seems something from them should work, but I have not compared the sills on the JSW and the Golf or Jetta.

Lockwood stainless sills

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like the Lockwood door sills, but the form of the door sills in my 2011 JSW has 3-ledges vice the 2-ledges in the MK5 illustration. Since these are formed from stainless steel, the extra ledge is a deal breaker.

I am going to purchase some bulk 3M Scotchguard Paint Protective Film and cut it to fit. Since it is 'clear film' I don't think it will show up that well in a photo. If it does, I will post the results.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts