VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new TDI. Love it but I've had a wonky nav malfunction. Leaving IKEA in Paramus, NJ and it recalculated my route home a number of times because I was taking my own winding route home (up 17N for any locals). Now, I consistently get lost leaving IKEA, but I have to say that my nav was LOST! Like I'm in northern NJ and nav reads in the Atlantic Ocean off Long Island. I turned system off and on again, same thing. I actually stopped on the NJ Tpke and turned car off and on again. No change. Still swimming around in Queens somewhere. When you watch the screen looks like "anticipatory"? GPS VW program is fighting with actual GPS receiver but I'm no techie so this is just a hypothesis. Waited 45 minutes and FINALLY located itself (15 miles from home). Anyone have similar problem and is there some "secret" way to quickly reset nav location if this happens again?

·
Registered
67 Posts
LOL! Turn left at the bluefish. Does the manual have a reboot procedure? Maybe if you press and hold the power button? If it's still telling you to go swimming I'd tell the dealer to replace it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not a retrofit. Factory installed. I only took delivery a week ago. Don't know why gps wouldn't just take location data from receiver. Compass on gps was all screwed up and backwards too. "Car circle" on nav screen kept sliding around like it was trying to relocate but when it crossed a major road or highway (that i was nowhere near!) it preferentially stuck there until it again became obvious I couldnt be on this road then started sliding around again. Used it today, all normal but an unreliable gps makes long trips to new places a bit nerve wracking. RNS315 used on previous models, right? Not new to 2011s? Just can't shake the (totally guessing :D) idea that mapping program was written so strongly that it's overriding actual gps data (all that sliding around and sticking on roads). Something lost in translation from data to map? Does VW ever put out updates to maps/programming via the SD card reader?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The RNS 310 was around in Europe but not in North America. The RNS 315 is all new for 2011 and is a little updated vs. the 310. I haven't found a source for SD card maps but whoever makes the maps should sell them.

One thing about in dash GPS is that it gets readings from the car to do a time/distance calculation of where the car is when you lose the sat signal like in tunnels. Maybe there's some sort of conflict there. Either way, this is definitely a warranty issue than.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts