VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone flashed the 2011 Jetta TDI - if so, what are your experiences .. and who did you use? good / bad etc

i've never chipped a car, but I have been reading about the unitronic stage 1 and the stats seem impressive, both in HP & torque gains ?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,546 Posts
The thing you have to watch while its under warranty is that chipped ecu's can be picked up by VW's test equipment and if you have a warranty claim they can void it because its been chipped.

There are companies that do a plugin box that you can unplug if it goes back to the dealer for anything and it don't reflash the ecu so no one knows its been fitted. I don't know if your Jetta is a 140PS thats what the link shows but you can search for any make or model?

e.g. DTUK

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thing you have to watch while its under warranty is that chipped ecu's can be picked up by VW's test equipment and if you have a warranty claim they can void it because its been chipped.

There are companies that do a plugin box that you can unplug if it goes back to the dealer for anything and it don't reflash the ecu so no one knows its been fitted. I don't know if your Jetta is a 140PS thats what the link shows but you can search for any make or model?

e.g. DTUK

Thanks Keith.. that seems to be a better option than flashing the ecu. Are there any other pros /cons for using a box vs flash?

my car is the 2011 Jetta TDI w/ 140hp

·
Super Moderator
9,546 Posts
No I don't think there is much difference to an ecu chip or a plugin box you would have to google it the difference? That DTUK box will send yours from 140PS to 170PS compare that with others?

·
Super Moderator
9,546 Posts
But with the boxes you can have different stages of tune and you can switch to what you want?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I prefer tunes for a few reasons:

1) tunes take in consideration all parameters and sensors of the vehicle a tuning box just changes signals. This could lead to feeding the car more fuel when the ecu is trying to pull it back. Worse case is added turbo wear and tear and DPF issues.

2) Most bench flashing is not able to be seen without physically removing the ecu by even VW dealers. A tuning box is a physical addition in the engine bay.

3) Tuning boxes are limited to a "stage 1" style modification. Users of exhausts, intakes, and other parts cannot have a tune that takes advantage of these add ons.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if I wasn't planning on going to with new exhaust / intakes etc...

Just looking for a little extra hp & torque / fuel economy etc... what would you suggest?

box or flash

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tuning vs. Box

"Just looking for a little extra hp & torque / fuel economy etc... what would you suggest?

box or flash"

I have been researching this topic for some time while I have been trying to figure out whether to go 'new' MK6 or buy old <MK6. I sent off an e-mail to Mark at Malone Tuning which is listed as "Alligator" on the basic performance mods page off the 1000q page. He stated that the chip tune may be noticeable by the dealer but more than likely if any repairs require driving the car they will certainly suspect and then look for mods based upon the clearly better performance. Then it is a matter of whether your particular dealership's service crew and management are gonna strip your warranty, more likely rather than less likely in my opinion. The other key factor that Mark mentioned which some people do not necessarily take into consideration is that changing the tuning may also require changing the tuning IF you have a DSG automatic transmission. The advantage of chip tuning over box tuning is that chip tuning is customized specific to your cars performance which is not necessarily the same as even the car before it off the factory line or the one after.

If I make any mods I will post them

·
Registered
201 Posts
"Just looking for a little extra hp & torque / fuel economy etc... what would you suggest?

box or flash"

I have been researching this topic for some time while I have been trying to figure out whether to go 'new' MK6 or buy old <MK6. I sent off an e-mail to Mark at Malone Tuning which is listed as "Alligator" on the basic performance mods page off the 1000q page. He stated that the chip tune may be noticeable by the dealer but more than likely if any repairs require driving the car they will certainly suspect and then look for mods based upon the clearly better performance. Then it is a matter of whether your particular dealership's service crew and management are gonna strip your warranty, more likely rather than less likely in my opinion. The other key factor that Mark mentioned which some people do not necessarily take into consideration is that changing the tuning may also require changing the tuning IF you have a DSG automatic transmission. The advantage of chip tuning over box tuning is that chip tuning is customized specific to your cars performance which is not necessarily the same as even the car before it off the factory line or the one after.

If I make any mods I will post them
If you were to hide the tune from the dealership, that would be warranty fraud. My dealer knows my car's modified. Their techs are terrified to touch parts of it because they don't really understand why it's still working with the way it's set up. The tune by itself doesn't really buy any significant jump in mileage, but it does make the car much more fun to drive. If you add the PDE down pipe and exhaust, with the tune then you can pick up about 10% on mileage. My dad's regularly getting over 600 miles per tank on his 2011 Golf TDI. On a recent road trip he got nearly 700 miles per tank.

·
Registered
308 Posts
My dad's regularly getting over 600 miles per tank on his 2011 Golf TDI. On a recent road trip he got nearly 700 miles per tank.
That's what I get stock :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts