VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!!

i would like to fit front fogs to my 2011 wagon ( i could have them if i wait 6 months for a factory build ) but need the car sooner, i have looked on the www, and it looks like i can obtain a full kit, other than the switch, do i require a switch that as a extra front fog lamp setting, or do i require a Euro switch?

VW here will not fit front fogs, they will sell the parts but thats it, what are my options for wiring

simple relay, or a OME type fit

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
If you have it OEM fit they can act like cornering lights at low speeds. In other words, the light on that side will turn on when you make a turn.

A simple relay also works and you do need a headlight switch with position for fog. Check out ECS tuning, I don't know who sells these in Australia.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Regarding the fog lights acting as cornering lights when "OEM fit", please provide additional details.

If I were to purchase an OEM kit, like ECSTuning offers, would I have the same cornering light functionality?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
No, even kits made with OEM parts do not provide the OEM operation unless they tap into the central electric control module. This is because a relay harness just turns on the foglights as a pair when the headlight switch says. The car's computer doesn't even know it has foglights.

It's only 2 wires and a very quick change in the central electric control module (CECM) code to let it know that you have foglights. When at a low speed and the wheels are turned, the foglights will turn on. Here is an example on the mk5, I don't know if the pins are the same: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/foglight-install-Jetta.htm

Here is a demo on the Golf where fogs come standard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWLxpPKL1pM

·
Registered
126 Posts
The article you provided as a link provided clarity as to the difference between a "relay triggered" euro switch mod and an OEM integrated connection with the CECM. It makes sense with the connections to the CECM. However, what I don't understand with the OEM integrated fog light setup is "where are the power relays"? There is no way that the CECM is directly powering the fog lights, rather it is just sending the commissioning signal to the relays that power the fog lights. The linked article also does not provide any clarity regarding the location/installation of power relays nor does it list a relay in the part numbers.

Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The article is written for a mk5. You have a mk6 so the wiring may be slightly different. I haven't looked at the wiring diagram in depth, but there are only 3 wires when using an OEM style retrofit harness: 2 pins at CECM for power and a ground.

With an aftermarket relay harness power is coming from somewhere else.

Here is an example of an OEM style retrofit harness: http://oemplus.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=75_23_28

·
Registered
126 Posts
It looks like the CECM doubles as a power module.

Given that that JSW seems be a blended-variant, I will likely wait until Bentley publishes the 2011 JSW manual, and then I will spend a great deal of time with the wiring diagrams and going pin-to-pin under the dash. I don't want to assume anything when I am making new connections to the CECM. If I were to smoke the CECM...my family would never let me live it down.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't see any comments or articles regarding the firewall penetration and how to maintain a proper seal at the firewall when passing the wiring thru it. Any guidance, below the macro level of "pass the wire thru the firewall", for penetrating the firewall and maintaining a tight seal?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The firewall gasket is shown in the writeup. It's far back there and the rubber will pinch around it so a leak is unlikely but you can add a dab of silicone sealant (any type, even window sealant will work) around the hole. I have added this note to the writeup for clarity.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts