VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

2011 Golf TDI HID DRL LED (2012) Retrofit

15K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  GTI 
#1 ·
I thought I'd start a thread and copy the other response over to a new thread so that Chitty could declutter the 2012 Passat thread I barged in on.

Basically, in that thread I was asking if it was possible for 2011 TDI Golfs to have a retrofit or replacement for our HID headlamp assembly to incorporate the LED DRLs as the 2012 models will come equipped standard from the factory for MY 2012.

The reason I'm asking is that a) I sorta like the LED look and b) I am not crazy about having to run my HID bulbs at reduced intensity all the time just for the DRL effect.

Chitty kindly responded with the following:

chittychittybangbang said:
First, the 2012 Golf HID will have LEDs. I'm not a huge fan of their implementation (dots of light) because it looks somewhat aftermarket. I prefer the Audi's ribbon LED light. I think they achieve the effect by having a diffuser strip in front of the LEDs because I can see some "hot spots" and strips where the light is diffused.

Second, the parts catalog was just updated to include the 2012 Golf LED headlights. As far as I know, this is the first mention of the part numbers. Attached are the parts diagram for your style and the new 2012 LED daytime running lights. The part numbers below are the US spec headlights (DOT approved). You might be able to buy the Euro headlights online later but you can only buy the US spec parts from the dealer in the US. The left side is 5k0 941 753 c (5k0941753c), the right side is 5k0 941 754 c (5k0941754c).

The plug is the exact same but that doesn't mean the wiring is the same. Worst case, you have to run a few wires.

It looks like the mounting bracket for the headlight is slightly different. However, even if it's not compatible, you just have to replace the bracket that it sits on, part #15.

Part #3 on the LED equipped HID housing is not on your headlights but it should come with the new style as part of the assembly.

There might be a small difference in the central electric control module to use the LED daytime running lights instead of the stock DRL.

Invoice price for the headlights is about 460 or 533 (the retail price or internet wholesale price would be about $600-700 for each assembly).
Chitty included the following attachments:

a) Showing the "Audi Style" LED HID he was referring to (as shown on an A6):

b) Parts Catalog Listing for the current (MY 2010-2011) Golf Headlamp:

c) Parts Catalog Listing for the new (MY 2012) Golf Headlamp with LED DRL:

See less See more
#2 ·
Sample of 2012 HID LED DRL unit

Just for reference this is probably what the 2012's will be on the Golf. The article which I obtained the photo from was dated November 2010!

Courtesy: VW Car Fans

#3 ·
Translation of Part #3 on LED unit

I see that part #3 on the LED units is (according to a Google translation):

Power Module for Daytime Running Lamps

Interesting.

#8 ·
Interesting. I've loved the LED DRL look, and almost regret not getting the Xenons from the dealer when I took delivery of my 2011 TDI last December - maybe I'll take the plunge with a retrofit.

Does this look about right BKS-Tuning Link? I already have a VCDS setup and looks like I'm running a compatible Central Electronics BCM: "Component: BCM PQ35 M 104 0615"

Price seems steep initially but if I'm getting both Xenons and LEDs and the thing is essentially a drop in replacement...worth the cost in my opinion!

#9 ·
Interesting. I've loved the LED DRL look, and almost regret not getting the Xenons from the dealer when I took delivery of my 2011 TDI last December - maybe I'll take the plunge with a retrofit.
You and me both, but I took delivery a couple of weeks back :eek

#12 ·
Kinda off topic, but you could use the fogs as DRLs - it's a mod I've done for a couple of guys now. Relatively simple with VCDS.
Thanks Pegasus. I remember your great advice from the days when I was tracking the arrival of my '11.

I was thinking of switching mine to the fogs with a few questions:

a) does it dim the fogs down like the BiXenons do when DRL is active
b) I have to do research to see if it is legal to run just fogs here in Colorado

I think on the '11's it is just a box tick in Central Electronics somewhere if I recall correctly.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Already did that. The LED's don't work at the moment because I need the firmware updated on my BCM. I've got version 111 and need 575.
That looks sweet ToeBall. Glad you took the plunge. I'm thinking I may need an BCM update too since I have an early 11 model and these were slated for release with the 12's. I take it you get the BCM information from a VCDS scan?

#16 ·
Looks like Xenons/LED DRLs are not available in Golf Wagon form in Australia.

They're optional on US Golfs.
I believe they are standard with USA '12 Golf's upgraded to the tech package or whatever package includes the BiXenons.

#17 ·
Does your LED DRL color differs slightly between left and right side?

To those that have the led DRLs on their gti, did you notice that there is color temperature differences between the left and right side? Mine's whiter on the driver side and the passenger side has a yellower tint. They are original items. Any info and insights of why it is so will be most helpful. Thx.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.