VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious since I can't seem to find this information: Does anyone have the BCI group size or correct dimensions for the battery in a 2011 Golf TDI? I see references to group 94R for prior years, but I don't think mine is that big since it's rated at 72AH according to the sticker. Just want to know what I'm in for this winter.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It should be in the service manual but isn't it labeled? you should have no problems with starting in the winter, these diesels are not the ones from decades ago...those even had a choke pull knob to advance the timing for cold start!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It should be in the service manual but isn't it labeled? you should have no problems with starting in the winter, these diesels are not the ones from decades ago...those even had a choke pull knob to advance the timing for cold start!

Thank you. You are right. My former neighbors had an old diesel Rabbit that got fantastic mileage but topped out at about 65 MPH, took a couple minutes to get there, and they didn't even try to drive it in the winter.

I'm not worried about whether the battery will make it, just wondering if the group 34R and group 78 Odyssey batteries I have sitting in the garage on float chargers would provide a little more oomph for this winter to get the plugs warmed up, build up fuel pressure, and crank it over just a leeeeeeetle bit better. I didn't see group size or CCA information on the stock battery, just a couple of VW spec numbers that I haven't found on the web yet and the 72 Ah rating. The owner manual just says the VW spec numbers. I guess I could just measure the thing and see what will fit.

This is strictly for curiosity purposes. My commute leaves the car outdoors in a flat area all day, and in the winter, it won't get a lot of love before I will want to get moving on home. Plus the commute is only 1.8 miles, so it won't get warm very often. Block/oil pan heater question in a new thread later on...

Again, thanks for the reply.

M C

1 - 3 of 3 Posts