VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'm having an intermittent issue with my golf. It's happened 6 - 10 times over the last few months and seems to be occurring more frequently as time goes on.

The symptom is that the engine misfires like crazy and falls on its face. It has happened most commonly during warm up on damp days, when I go to pass someone that is driving slowly. When the downshift hits there is no power, lost of shuddering and shaking, and a noticeable cloud behind the car (I'm not sure if this is smoke as the vehicle is stock and has a DPF, or just higher water vapor from increasing the load, or just coincidence as it is still warming up). I have also had it happen on the shift to 4th once when I did a full power pull to see if it would happen when warm. Letting off the accelerator and then getting back into it seems to clear the problem. It has also happened once on startup, it sounded like it was missing on 1 cyl and I revved it up until it cleared. I had another issue pop up last week on startup but I'm not sure if it's related. The car had sat for a week, it started normally and died (not immobilizer related). The dash went blank and I though maybe the battery wasn't good as it was quite cold through the week. On reattempting it seemed more like the ignition switch was sticking or a relay wasn't closing the contact fully and it would start to crank and then disengage. It eventually started and seem to be basically flooded (I had to hold the pedal to the floor to get it to rev up at all and then it cleared after 5 seconds or so and ran fine again.) This has only happened once so I'm more concerned with the other issue, but thought I'd mention it in case it is related.

There have been no codes so far. I have VCDS and have been looking at data and logging but I don't know enough about diesels to know how they should operate. My wife has a 2011 Jetta with the same engine so I have an option there to compare similar data fields on similar drives also.

I looking for some help on things to rule out, are there specific data that I should log to try and capture during the misfire event. Should I reseat the injector connectors? Could this be fuel quality related? Moisture in fuel etc? I'm really looking for anything here.

I got this vehicle in the spring with 35000 kms on it and it has been great so far outside of this issue. I have been following the factory service schedule using dealer parts so it just had a fuel filter, oil change and dsg service. I'm capable, have automotive background and am a mechanical engineer, so I do all of my own work. I'm new to diesels, and am not really sure where to start.

·
Super Moderator
8,975 Posts
This is a new forum layout with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location or signature properly either

We Are Live - Community Feedback

Without TDI Wiki you can only do a normal search which isn't very good.

I had a similar thing with my Golf last year it felt like it was running on 3 cylinders. I put my foot don't to clear any crap out of the system and it stopped misfiring.

I did a VCDS scan not straight away and no error codes logged.

Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) 15 if misfire changes location.

In Advance Measuring Values you can tick all the Misfire Counter boxes to show all cyclinders

You can check the ash/soot contents of the DPF with VCDS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I knew there was a missfire counter but the info is pretty sparse. I'll do some monitoring of this and see if there are any trends. When it happens under power it feels like multiple/all cylinder though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a look through VCDS and there is no misfire detection info in the measurement blocks from what I can see. I checked the first 200.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm fairly confident that this is a water in the intercooler issue. The No start event is identical to videos I've just watched on Youtube of other mkVI's that had water in the intercooler piping, even the way it ran once I got it going. I'm wondering if the loss of power is related to water being sucked into the engine during the increased boost event during warmup.

I'm going to check for water in my pipes this weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts