VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took delivery of my new Golf today. Been trolling around on these forums for a bit, figured I should post now that I'm an owner. My only previous VW was a 1996 Golf GTI 2.0L. My everyday car up until today has been a 1996 Saab 900SE v6.

2011, manual, cold weather package, sunroof, united gray

I'll post some better pictures when we aren't experiencing typical Pacific Northwest weather.

I spent the better part of 4 hours rolling around Oregon and Washington today. First impressions:

• The torque is crazy! Nothing like any gasoline engines I've ever experienced. It's odd how little power there is up until the powerband–it's somewhat easier to stall than a gasoline engine because it doesn't "bounce back" when you make a bad choice.
  • Tiny steering wheel compared to my Saab. I think my MK III was also like this, but I'd forgotten about it.
  • Gas mileage is better than advertised it seems.
  • Standard radio is still the RCD 510. Very clever system, and sounds pretty good. iPod through the MDI occasionally stutters at the beginning of songs, as I've seen some people complain about here and elsewhere, but it's serviceable and sounds great. This is with an iPod Classic 60GB.
  • The "anti-rollback" feature is one of the oddest feelings ever, but I'm sure I'll appreciate it. I wondered what the hell was going on until I read the item about it in the manual.

Those are some of the things that I can currently think of. Will post more impressions as time goes on. Feel free to ask me anything, as I don't think there's too many 2011's in the wild yet so maybe I can fill in some gaps if there are any.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking nice! Where was that picture taken - it looks pleasant there.
This was taken on Ocean Beach Highway (WA 4) in Washington State. If you love wet weather (and I do!) NW Oregon/SW Washington is a gorgeous area.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Interesting, you have anti-rollback. My subaru had that, but my Golf doesn't.

It's definitely very useful, I believe it definitely lengthens the life of the clutch. Also, it's significantly easier to start on hills.

·
Registered
2 Posts
congradulations. I ordered a loaded candy white TDI Golf over a month ago and havent yet even got a build date..GRRRRR....<smile>.....When and where did you take delivery of yours? How long did it take to get here after you recieved the invoice? I ordered mine in Salem Oregon.
The last new VW i purchased was in 1973, a super bug. I've had a couple of used ones since then though

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
congradulations. I ordered a loaded candy white TDI Golf over a month ago and havent yet even got a build date..GRRRRR....<smile>.....When and where did you take delivery of yours? How long did it take to get here after you recieved the invoice? I ordered mine in Salem Oregon.
The last new VW i purchased was in 1973, a super bug. I've had a couple of used ones since then though
I bought mine from Herzog-Meier in Portland, Oregon (hello almost neighbor!). I just picked something that was already built and was as close to base-model TDI + stick shift as possible, so I was able to get it pretty quickly–about 20 days from the time I purchased to delivery (Friday). It was in transit from Germany when I bought it, is my understanding.

Edit: I should clarify. It was either in a warehouse in Germany, or on a boat from Germany when it was purchased. They weren't sure which.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Congratulations. Enjoy.

...It was in transit from Germany when I bought it, is my understanding.

Edit: I should clarify. It was either in a warehouse in Germany, or on a boat from Germany when it was purchased. They weren't sure which.
I found mine while it was unsold and on the boat too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When aren't we?

2011, manual, cold weather package, sunroof, united gray

I'll post some better pictures when we aren't experiencing typical Pacific Northwest weather.
Congrats from another Pacific NW United gray (CWP) 4 door golf TDI! :thumbsup

When aren't we experiencing the typical Pac NW weather?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts