VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2011 JSW, have about 2000 miles on it.

Recently I have noticed several times that if I am rolling slowly, say going over the speed bumps, the DSG seems to buck, like its not sure what gear to go into.

Under normal driving, accelerating etc... it seems fine

Any one else seen this?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought a 2011 JSW, have about 2000 miles on it.

Recently I have noticed several times that if I am rolling slowly, say going over the speed bumps, the DSG seems to buck, like its not sure what gear to go into.

Under normal driving, accelerating etc... it seems fine

Any one else seen this?
I have had this too, but think it is being just too light on the pedal after a speed change or DSG shift.

·
Registered
4 Posts
DSG Jerking/Buckling

It is just the nature of the beast my friend. I had DSG (alongside a manual one) and it happened when pulling into the driveway, parking space, reversing, slow speeds, traffic on the motorway.

Here is why: Essentially the DSG is not an automatic gearbox. It is a manual gearbox, with two clutches being operated automatically (without your input) so at low speeds the "feeling" is akin to starting off in a manual without giving it much gas pedal.

I really did not like this very much, but there is an auto hold fuction on the break to stop it from rolling back on hills. If you were to take your foot off the brake on a hill and not touch either pedal, you would roll back like in a manual.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I have a love/hate relationship with my DSG. The problem you've described is the hate part. It is far too easy for it to get confused. Accelerating when going downhill can incite the same behavior. I've learned to work with it a bit in parking lots to where it doesn't go stupid on me near as much. It's just something you'll have to adjust to working around.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also have a 2011 TDI with the DSG. Yesterday I noticed a slight jerking sensation twice while I was going slowly in our neighborhood. I was in regular (D) drive. Will the DSG do it in drive or only in the tiptronic mode? I don't want to take it to the dealer if I don't have to? Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have noticed throwing it over to tiptronic seems to quiet it down, since you are then selecting a gear. Mine does it when driving slowly, (20 to 30) miles per hour. It seems to get hung up trying to decide if it should be in 3rd or 4th. Easing on to the pedal seems to cause it, so I have learned to be a bit more aggressive and it works fine...

·
Registered
126 Posts
My 2011 JSW also does the DSG bucking, but as we learn to drive/manage the TDIs power band we are experiencing it less frequently. It occurs most often when driving in a residential neighborhood, when you are coasting thru a turn and the vehicle speed drops.

If the DSG doesn't downshift and continues to lug the engine, we go into triptronic and drop down a gear. Running in sport mode helps as well. Not that we are driving 'sporty' in a residential neighborhood, but in sport mode the DSG doesn't try to pile on the gears and achieve the lowest possible engine speed to maximize fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The DSG acts so much like a manual that I after the years of driving them it's a feeling I almost miss sometimes... strange I know.:panic:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts