VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new 2011 DSG Jetta sedan in April and enjoy everything about it so far...8200 miles and running.
But I have a question about the occasional engine noise "chatter". The engine seems to give off loud "chattering " noises(similar to gas car valves running without oil) when starting off and when accelerating. Doesn't sound like the turbo....but is this normal? Seems It didn't have the noise when I first took delivery.

The 6000 mile check was all ok.Thanks for any replies

·
Registered
201 Posts
Got my new 2011 DSG Jetta sedan in April and enjoy everything about it so far...8200 miles and running.
But I have a question about the occasional engine noise "chatter". The engine seems to give off loud "chattering " noises(similar to gas car valves running without oil) when starting off and when accelerating. Doesn't sound like the turbo....but is this normal? Seems It didn't have the noise when I first took delivery.

The 6000 mile check was all ok.Thanks for any replies
From what I'm reading it's sort of a loud ticking noise? Probably hearing the fuel injectors. They run at 28k psi and will be rather noticeable over the quiet engine when they pop.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
We are noticing our 2011 Jetta is louder now than when we first took delivery back in May.

I about 2 months away from the 1st servicing.... is there anything I can say to the dealer to help investigate this? This assuming that there is something wrong. Being my 1st diesel I do not know how much noise is too much noise.

·
Registered
97 Posts
We are noticing our 2011 Jetta is louder now than when we first took delivery back in May.

I about 2 months away from the 1st servicing.... is there anything I can say to the dealer to help investigate this? This assuming that there is something wrong. Being my 1st diesel I do not know how much noise is too much noise.
I own two diesel vehicles. One is a 6.7L Cummins, Dodge Mega Cab and the other is a 2011 Jetta TDI. All diesel rattle in fact there is a saying in the Cummins family that Dodge builds them Cummins shakes them.
The diesel engine is a compression-ignition engine. Which means there is no electrical spark to ignite the fuel air mixture. Instead the engine uses compression to cause the fuel air mixture to ignite. And with the injectors opening and closing along with this compression taking place, there will be some sound that will be emitted from the workings of the engine.
In fact the new modern diesels engine with common rail fuel injection. Uses a pre-charge of fuel being squirted early into the engine during the burn cycle. This is to quiet down the amount of diesel clatter that occurs.
As a diesel engine mileage increase the sound level will increase, but this should not be objectionable to the driver or passenger.
Jim W.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Even though they used a generous amount of insulation and payed close attention to sound baffling and muffling on this engine there is a certain amount of chattering that goes on. This is all inherent to the fact that there is a diesel engine under the hood. This chattering does get slightly louder within the first 10,000 miles or so. This is all normal.

As they say: Worry less, Drive more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts