VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks-

I always enjoy posts on this forum and decided to share with everyone my impressions after test-driving a 2010 4-Door Golf TDI w/DSG. Please, note that my test drive lasted approximately half-an-hour and included both freeway and city driving. I will attempt to be as thorough as one can be after spending only a half-an-hour with the car.

In one sentence, 2010 Golf is one of the best Audis that I have driven lately. From the moment one steps in to a well-appointed cabin, settles into sporty, firm and incredibly comfortable seat, touches the perfectly sized leather-wrapped steering wheel, highlighted by formula-one type paddle shifters, and turns the fold-key to hear the subdued yet unmistakable engine note, it is easy to confuse the Golf with its more patrician cousins. When things get underway the head-snapping torque, quick-shifting DSG, the precise steering and capable chassis give an impression that you are driving a vehicle from Bavaria and not Wolfsburg. Even at speeds in excess of 75 miles per hour (please don't tell the dealership!) the car remained luxoriously quiet and was completely unfased by the heavy rain and strong crosswinds. The combined fuel economy for my short drive, which included lead-footed stints on the highway and some driving in heavy city traffic, was an impressive 34 mpg.

Few minor nitpicks will be familiar to VW drivers. First, the interior storage space is somewhat limited. Indeed, because of the MDI interface, the space inside the center armrest is usable mainly for change and other small items such as a cell phone or a pda. There are also small storage compartments (padded with velour I might add) in all four doors. While adequate for most users, they are probably insufficient for those who wish to lug their entire cd collection with them. Moreover, the cupholders (an important feature for many American users) seems too shallow to securely hold anything larger than a Starbucks tall. Second, while 60/40 rear seats do fold, they do not create a flat loading floor. Third, premium VIII radio has an intuitive interface, but I believe the sound is about average by today's standards. Audiophiles may want to sprint for Dynaudio speakers, which should improve things dramatically. Finally, in my humble opinion, the middle seat in the back is unusable by anyone other than a small child who can be bribed to seat there for a short trip. The relatively high transmission tunnel and front armrest leave no usable knee and leg room for the middle-seat occupant.

Even with the above knitpicks, Golf is a capable, fun, economical and practical premium hatchback that in many ways surpasses the vehicles that costs thousands more than it does. In fact, in a comparisson done by a Russian car magazine (Za Rulem, found at www.zarulem.ru), a Euro-spec V-Dub handilly beat an Audi A3 and a BMW 1-series. Thus, the only people unhappy about the arrival of the new Golf may be the folks at a local Audi dealership. Then again, there are people who will always pay to be a members of a more "exclusive" club. I, however, have sent an order to Wolfsburg for a Shark Blue Golf TDI.

·
Registered
91 Posts
In one sentence, 2010 Golf is one of the best Audis that I have driven lately. formula-one type paddle shifters :confused:

Where did you get paddle shifters? Is this on a Euro car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was a US spec 4-door model. I was very surprised myself and don't know if it was some sort of production mistake or a late addition. With or without paddle shifters it is a great car!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Interesting...I have seen another picture of a Golf TDI w/paddle shifters but I wasn't sure if it was a press car. No recent info says the DSG TDI has paddle shifters but there it is.

Can anyone with a Golf TDI w/DSG confirm paddle shifters by taking some pics? I haven't heard of paddle shifters on the Jettas so maybe it's just a Golf thing. This is the only pic I've seen so far.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Golf TDI paddle shifters

I got my Golf TDI last week and it has paddle shifters. Away from home so can not provide a picture but it looks like foto above.

·
Registered
85 Posts
what a bonus to have paddle shifters! I am super excited about getting my Golf now!

as for the back seats, being 5'10", I thought they weren't too bad. I mean for a long trip obviously wouldn't be ideal, but still not horrible. I test drove a Toyota Yaris a few months back with my friend and sat in the back and it was comfortable and thought the Golf was very similar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, myturbodiesel.com just confirmed that paddle shifters are standard on US-bound DSG TDI Golfs.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
In one sentence, 2010 Golf is one of the best Audis that I have driven lately. From the moment one steps in to a well-appointed cabin, settles into sporty, firm and incredibly comfortable seat, touches the perfectly sized leather-wrapped steering wheel, highlighted by ...........EDIT/DELETE OPs post
When casting around for a new daily driver - replacing a Audi UrS6 Avant of ten years – in my chicken sheit mind not to many cars were going to measure up. Three years on....and the rest is history – A loaded MKV Jetta TDI sedan upgraded with VW/Eibach springs and 17” GTI wheels fit the bill. A really enjoyable car to drive..

·
Registered
226 Posts
And the mk6 is supposed to be even better....even still, the Audis have the multilink suspension, leather interior, power seats, optional s-line suspension...I wish they would put these options on a GTD and send it over here.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
....even still, the Audis have the multilink suspension, leather interior, power seats, optional s-line suspension...I wish they would put these options on a GTD and send it over here.
The VW sports the same multilink rear suspension as the Audi Sportback - No?

P.S., The VW MkV Jetta TDI production once had as options: leather memory seats/mirrors, streeing wheel control of HiFi stereo - Navi - MFD, rear window shade, dual zone HVAC, expanded interior lighting, etc. Granted, today the Sportback TDI and Jetta TDI are very different. Gone are the Jetta's pretense of upscale er luxury - no dual zone this or leather that. And that just might be a good thing

·
Registered
14 Posts
I started replying to post in another thread, but then this became more appropriate for this topic. So here it goes.

At least in the US and Canada, the Highline comes with bluetooth from the factory.
2010 Golf Wagon Highline does not come with a Bluetooth factory-installed in Canada. My car doesn't have one. However, buttons are present on the steering wheel. :dunno

Canada also doesn't get RNS-510 Navigation system in Highline. Another way to keep Canadian costs down.

iPod connector is not fully iPhone-compatible. This is just plain silly on VW's part.

Some other mildly-annoying quirks in my first VW as compared to my much cheaper older cars (Impreza 2.5RS and Malibu Maxx)
- lights do not automatically turn off with engine off (Malibu is only partially like that, and 2.5RS just work using common sense)
- idiotic seat reclining wheel control for a passenger seat, instead of simple lever
- central arm-rest is too small to act as an actual useful arm-rest
- cap holders are harder to access than in a Malibu
- no useful storage space in the central arm-rest
- noticeable turbo lag, so not as much low-end torque as in MY99 2.5RS
- much rougher sounding diesel engine compared to 3.5L V6 in Malibu or Boxer engine in an Impreza
- the Highline-trim leather-wrapped steering wheel suspiciously doesn't feel like real leather. A much simpler OEM Momo-designed steering wheel in my old 2.5RS has a much nicer tactile feel to it, thanks to a good top-grain leather that looks new even after 11 years.
- leather heated seats: I don't think they will get warm fast enough before my bum gets frozen on a cold February morning

Am I disappointed with the car? Nope. I just think that VW would not do as well in the market place if they didn't have a diesel engine to offer. I believe TDI Wagon is the best bang for the buck in my specific personal case, and that's why I got it. 40,000 km per year forced me to evaluate fuel costs when selecting a car to buy. Oh, yeah I couldn't sacrifice the torque specs either :)

Here are my ideal would be specs:
16" alloy wheels - check
top-grain leather wheel - miss
high-res GPS system - miss
leather seats - check
turbo-diesel - check :D
sunroof - check
heated-mirrors - check
power-seats - 98% miss
fog lights - check
HID head lights - miss
station wagon style body - check :D
power-windows - check (all-around automatic is a big bonus!)
Bluetooth - miss (now it's a law in Ontario, Canada for mobile use)
folding rear seats - check
rear wiper - check
disc-brakes all around - check
stability control - check
All Wheel Drive - miss, doh!
normal e-brake lever - check
AC - check
intermittent wipers - check
spill-friendly cup holder - miss
useful car information panel - check!
pass-friendly turn signals - check
gobs of low-end torque - check

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
2010 Golf Wagon Highline does not come with a Bluetooth factory-installed in Canada. My car doesn't have one. However, buttons are present on the steering wheel. :dunno
Do you have the overhead console with the bluetooth buttons? It looks like some other people are also complaining that the wagons don't come with bluetooth...at this point it looks like no Golf Wagons in Canada come with Bluetooth !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, the order guide for the Golf Wagon in Canada doesn't list the bluetooth as an option.

But there's a mistake on VW Canada's website and they list it in their pdf price list...

·
Registered
14 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts