VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While tuning for the new 2010 TDIs isn't very widespread yet, I'm curious whether anyone has had there's tuned and learning about any of the tunes for the new cars.

I've recently started contacting some reputable tuners about more information on their tunes and I'm curious as to the differences.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stratmosphere is the first tuner I contacted actually. The guy there was not that confidence inspiring though, I've also contacted Malone tuning - I've never heard anything negative about them.

I really don't like how they don't show any actual dyno results. I don't care about the actual power output that much, I understand that dynos are not 100% accurate, what I care about is power delivery. Seeing a dyno graph shows you exactly where the power curves are and how they change with the tunes.

I've seen a lot of people with Revo tunes - I'm personally not a fan, I've heard from a knowledgeable source that they really don't know how to tune diesels and just tune them like gas cars. Although people on TDIClub seem to be pretty happy with them, I'm not a fan of the fact that they move the torque from starting at 1750 to starting around 2000-2200 RPM.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a rather significant difference in the amount of power Malone and Stratmosphere (OCT-tuning) offer.

Stratmosphere offers more horsepower and less torque

Malone offers more torque less horsepower

Stratmosphere's graphic representation of a dyno is more confidence inspiring than Malone's though. Stratmosphere's reflects the original power delivery of the 2.0 TDI engine, while Malone's shows a very different perspective - theirs is definitely incorrect with their stock line, I'm not sure about how their tune differs.

I've asked both tuners for dyno graphs, from that link you shared from Stratmosphere, there were many requests for dyno graphs but they never responded with one.

I find that frustrating. I want to SEE what is going to be changed on my car, not just hear them tell me and show me a pretty graph they made.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Thanks for the links and information.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Stratmosphere is the first tuner I contacted actually. The guy there was not that confidence inspiring though...

I really don't like how they don't show any actual dyno results. I don't care about the actual power output that much, I understand that dynos are not 100% accurate, what I care about is power delivery. Seeing a dyno graph shows you exactly where the power curves are and how they change with the tunes.
Stratmosphere is the US distributor for Oberscheider Tuning, originally based in Austria, they now have a Swiss headquarters as well. I lived in Europe for a few years and can assure you that O.CT is big in Europe and technically, the real deal.

The dyno plots posted by Stratmosphere are directly from O.CT. This Plot:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4891063-2010-2.0-TDI-Software-now-available-from-Stratmosphere-O.CT

Is posted here on the O.CT website:

http://www.oct-ipro.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=58&lang=en

Scroll down to the Golf 2.0 CR 140 link. As you can see, they have an extensive list of diesel applications, perhaps more than gasoline ones due to the nature of the European market.

I know Revo's flash is only for the MED17 TDIs right now, but I know a guy from the Lotus world that had Revo files for years in his TDI commuter cars and was extremely pleased with them:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f152/tdi-fans-modded-jsw-pics-68247/

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is a rather significant difference in the amount of power Malone and Stratmosphere (OCT-tuning) offer.

Stratmosphere offers more horsepower and less torque

Malone offers more torque less horsepower

Stratmosphere's graphic representation of a dyno is more confidence inspiring than Malone's though. Stratmosphere's reflects the original power delivery of the 2.0 TDI engine, while Malone's shows a very different perspective - theirs is definitely incorrect with their stock line, I'm not sure about how their tune differs.
I know this is an old thread, but I would like to assert that our dyno representations are correct. Some stock dynos may report as low as 130hp while others may report as high as 160hp. Each dyno is calibrated differently. We used a Mustang dyno, which is conservative.

One of my TDI clients dynoed 260hp on a Dyno Dynamics and dynoed less than 200hp on a Mustang Dyno. Both dynos are only 20 minutes apart.

Someone with a different tune also posted his stock dyno results that are in-line with ours (at least the peak horsepower part). You can see his post here:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3062193&postcount=176

I try to be as realistic as possible with our advertised HP and Torque gains. :) The % gain and area under curves are the most important parts to pay attention to in a dyno. If our advertised 133->163hp is a 22.56% gain, then you can use that percentage to calculate 140hp->171.58hp at the wheels (or 192.17hp at the crank, on an Euro-style dyno with a 12% powertrain loss estimate).

I just wanted to assure that our tunes are very strong :) Even with the DSG.

Cheers,
Mark

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
welcome to the forum

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad to hear from Malone Tuning, if you were closer I may already have a tune from you. I have nothing bad to say against you - I understand that dyno graphs are unreliable.

The reason I like dynos though isn't for the numbers - it's to see the shape and position of the power curves. That is typically consistent with dynos. That's also my chief concern with tuning - which is why having a picture of a dyno graph is reassuring and reliable to me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Do retunes typically change the gear ratio in order to adapt to the new powerband?

One of my peeves with this car lies in the hills and stop signs around town; I have too much power in first and not enough power in second. I've tried to adapt my driving style to compensate, but from a very slow roll, I always seem to either lurch the car back as I take off in first, or slowly gurgle up to speed in second. I'm terrified of destroying my clutch as I try to accelerate smoothly every day...

·
Super Moderator
9,082 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mark. welcometomyturbodies
then you can use that percentage to calculate 140hp->171.58hp at the wheels (or 192.17hp at the crank, on an Euro-style dyno with a 12% powertrain loss estimate).
I know this is an old thread thats been revitalised by saucer.

You can get difference results of different chassis dynos this would depend on how often they are calibrated. We used to have a Sun RAM XII Chassis Dyno at the College where I work but we moved workshops 6 years ago and we had no room for it so we gave it away. werd

We had DynoPlot software made by milfordmicros that plotted the results. After you reached max rpm you would just dip the clutch and let the rollers drive the transmission so it would calculate transmission drag/rolling resistance. The graph would then show calculated power at the flywheel. You can loose 25% through the transmission. Thats 15% through the gearbox and 10% through the final drive so that will be less. Obviously front wheel drive vehicles don't have an hypoid final drive.

So does Malone Tuning measure power at the road wheels or calculate engine power?

Now Stratmosphere show a 140hp TDI uprated to 170hp. Now what I can't understand is it shows

170hp - @4200rpm
177lbs/ft - @1800rpm

Mine is claimed

168bhp - 4200rpm
258lbs/ft - 1750-2500rpm

BHP is a product of engine speed against Torque so how does theirs only produce 177lbs/ft yet is has the same power?

Now there are more up and coming chip tuners as the diesel becomes more popular. Stratmosphere state that their flash can't be detected by VWs code readers. They also want you to send them your ecu to be chipped. After you have fitted it back how do you know if you've gained any power? You would have to get it dynoed before to sent it away and dynoed when it came back.

There are companies that use the plugin boxes that just plugin the loom and they don't flash the ecu.

DTUK Volkswagen Golf Vi 2.0 Tdi 170 Ps Cr for £341. There are some companies that will chip your car for a trial period say a couple of weeks. I you don't like the it will revert back to the standard chipping, if you do like it then they make it permanent.

TuningBox

Now I'm told from a good source that mine could easily be chipped over 200bhp but the clutch and transmission won't stand it. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts