VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week did the first change of the oil and filter on my 2010 Jetta S/W TDI using a 507.00 certified oil. Added the four liters, started engine for leak check, then allowed engine to set for 30 minutes for dipstick check. Surprised to find oil mark only 1/4 into the hatched mark area. Checked again daily with no change. When delivered, oil mark was at top of hatched area on dipstick. I have added 300cc of oil that brought the level to the half way point in the hatched area. Either my dipstick is miscalibrated or the crankcase capacity is more than what the owners manual states, four liters. Anyone have this problem or idea what is going on?

·
Registered
66 Posts
FYI the oil that comes with it is supposedly a little different than the regular 507 oil. When using the correct spec synthetic oil the changes are at 10,000 miles. Changing early won't do a thing other than drain your wallet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Understand your comment but still trying to detiremine why my dipstick registers low with four liters in the crankcase.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Are you parked on an incline? It's pretty unlikely that the dipstick is wrong. I don't have one of these cars but does the owners manual include the oil filter in that 4 liters or not? That can be the missing 300cc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car is sitting absolutely level in garage. Manual states four liters refill for oil and filter change.

·
Registered
1 Posts
rs25, I changed my oil on my 2010 tdi yesterday and had the exact same results. Absolutely flat ground, waited different amounts of time, and it always showed about 1/4 up on the stick. I added about 0.4L more and it went to the top, as it was when new. I don't know what the deal is. Manual does say that capacity could change since manual printing, and to check with VW. I haven't done that, but figured the correct amount of oil was in it when new.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Men, I have found inthe service manual that there is a whole page dedicated to wheather you have the right dipstick...and to contact the dealer if not.

I had the wrong one . Dealer did not help.

The additional pages to the car manual (glove box) does show more oil than the reg one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Men, I have found inthe service manual that there is a whole page dedicated to wheather you have the right dipstick...and to contact the dealer if not.

I had the wrong one . Dealer did not help.

The additional pages to the car manual (glove box) does show more oil than the reg one.
Pics? What is wrong about the dipstick?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The dipstick was wrong length. Mine was too long so it said it (oil) was overfilled.

I will get the manual page and post it. This has had to be an issue for the space they gave it in the service manual.

Greg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts