VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I tried a search but really did not know what I was looking for on this topic.

I just bought a 2010 TDI Wagen last week. I've noticed that it does not accelerate very smoothly. There seems to be some type of "lag time" between pushing on the accelerator and the car moving forward. Is this normal for a turbo diesel engine?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Let me guess - it has the DSG transmission? It's not related to the engine.

Many are reporting this problem...or quirk? Some say it's minor and is reduced by adjusting how fast and far you press down on the pedal. In some test drives of the 2009-2010 models I've felt it too but it was minor and it didn't happen consistently. Another car had no lag. Maybe others can chime in on how to minimize it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it is the DSG transmission. I was wondering if that might be the problem. I haven't contacted the dealer yet, but I may on Monday if I can't find any support for this being a normal performance quirk. It really caught me by surprise as I went to accelerate into a left turn and almost got hit by oncoming traffic. Once i depressed the accelerator It seemed as thought the car just rolled forward for about five feet before something kicked in and I accelerated through the turn.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Always leave plenty of room to pull out.

This is a common complaint. Tell the story to your dealer to make sure that they look into it.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
No but some seem to have it worse than others. I just read a review of the Mitsubishi dual clutch transmission. I'm not sure who makes it but they complained of bad lag from a stop. I haven't heard of this problem on Porsches with PDK dual clutch transmission. I'm not sure the exact cause but I believe that the feeling is due to slow clutch take up from a stop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I try to avoid stepping on the accelerator when the car is cold so I'm not sure if it would happen then. I've noticed that the lag time is decreased if I drive differently than I used to. The car seems to require a very slow steady depression of the accelerator. That decreases the lag time but it is still a bit jerky from 0 to 20 miles an hour.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Very cold ATF temperature and cold/low pressure air could result in the no start problem that is described in the DSG FAQ. This only occurs at high altitude and cold temps and with diesel engines.

I don't know if ATF temp is related to this lag problem but some have described creeping of the transmission at very cold temps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jetta TDI 2010 acceleration problem

Yikes.
I have been looking into purchasing this car. I was in the market for a hybrid type car and really liked my test drive on this VW Jetta tdi 2010.
This is making me have second thoughts.
Big bummer.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
You could always buy a manual. Some have reported a lag and others didn't. I have driven 2 and one had minor lag and the other didn't. I don't know why and I don't think many outside of VW know either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jetta TDI 2010 acceleration problem

The manuals I am reading are hiccuping.
:-(

Would a dealer take this back and honor a replacement vehicle?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was also wondering if it has something to do with the turbo. Is it possible that it takes the turbo a few seconds to kick in? Like I said it may just require a different driving style than I'm used to, but I think I'm getting used to it.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
From what I hear it's related to the EGR system tuning. A chip tuner supposedly fixed it but he's not saying exactly how since it's proprietary information. If you need warranty service on the engine or anything else the chip affects, an aftermarket chip tune could also cause it to be denied. They probably won't be able to detect the presence of a chip but you never know. I don't believe that the new ECUs raise a warning flag with an aftermarket tune like some newer BMW ECUs do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Getting used to TDI & DSG

Yikes.
I have been looking into purchasing this car. I was in the market for a hybrid type car and really liked my test drive on this VW Jetta tdi 2010.
This is making me have second thoughts.
Big bummer.
We bought a 2010 TDI Jetta SportWagen & DSG about 5 weeks ago. It's primarily my wife's car but I drive it on weekends and a few days during the week. The TDI and DSG combination feels different than anything else I've driven in the past. Accelerating from a stop takes some getting used to - even my wife mentioned she's chirped the tires by pushing the pedal a little too hard.

It's not a "flat spot" like some of the old carburated cars had; it's more of a "quick acceleration" when the turbo spools up. I do notice if I keep the pedal even and let the car upshift quickly it's not noticable. Overall, I like the car so much I can deal with a little lag and see if I can modify my driving style to get used to it.

Would I consider it annoying enough to buy a hybrid? Absolutely not! We bought the TDI because it has the power and great fuel economy. So far, so good!

·
Registered
5 Posts
From what I hear it's related to the EGR system tuning. A chip tuner supposedly fixed it but he's not saying exactly how since it's proprietary information. If you need warranty service on the engine or anything else the chip affects, an aftermarket chip tune could also cause it to be denied. They probably won't be able to detect the presence of a chip but you never know. I don't believe that the new ECUs raise a warning flag with an aftermarket tune like some newer BMW ECUs do.

Picked up my 2010 JSW w/ DSG on 17-JUL-2010 and have found that disengaging the ESP (Electronic Stabilization Program) helps but so does just simply adjusting how you place your foot on the pedal and how deliberately you put pressure on the fuel pedal. After a week or so of my paying close attention to how I use the ESP in conjunction with a complete overhaul of how I depress the fuel pedal/place my foot on the fuel pedal, I am now able to avoid the "lag" effect. Also of note, I am using the DSG 100% of the time as opposed to leaving the shifter in "D" or "S". For me this new car is all about fuel economy and having fun driving, so far I am enjoying both...

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is my only complaint with this car. :ugh

It certainly takes some getting used to. I think twice before pulling out in traffic now (which may be a good thing).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't worry

DSG Gearboxes are supposed to be inteligent. If your car is new and it has warranty, you should talk about this with your authorized repair shop. They can reset all the values from the mechatronic, after that drive it for a month in sport mode and the lag should be gone. If is no subject of warranty, go to somebody with VCDS and perform the basic settings on your gearbox (see wiki.ross-tech.com).

Hope this help.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I dont think this is a problem. Because is electroniclly controlled this car drives diferent. A sudden acceleration is monitored by computer and thats why there is a lag time. It happens on my 2010 jsw. YOU SHOULD TRUST YOUR CAR. After the "lag time" do you feel yourself against the seat? It has a powerfull push without spinning the wheels. GIVE THIS GREAT CAR SOME TIME UNTIL IT ADOPTS TO YOUR DRIVING HABBITS.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts