VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must be missing something. I've searched everywhere for instructions on putting these in... along with rears. I just got the parts, but the wiring is simpler than what the MK5 installation instructions say. There's just 2 gray wires ... and a ground wire. I got a EuroSwitch. So I presume I need to route wiring to inside car and connect somehow... has anyone posted the instructions? Presuming and assuming are usually not good things to do.

Frustrated in SoCal (And I find it ridiculous that such a nice car doesn't even offer factory fog lights, front or rear.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the OEMPlus kit. I sorta thought there'd be a page of instructions...but nothing. So will have to contact them I guess to see what's involved.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OEMplus's listing said "Most recent vehicles are equipped with it, but it pays to confirm"... thought a very heavily loaded TDI wagon would surely be highline. I'm really quite frustrated with VW's misplaced cheapness. I'd easily have paid $1K more for the car to have gotten factory foglights, rear foglight and the good bluetooth. Instead I've had the car for 10 months and still don't even have functioning fogs. I guess I've been spoiled... every daily driver I've owned in the last 26 years came with fog lights... not having to hassle with finding parts and DIY.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
OEMplus's listing said "Most recent vehicles are equipped with it, but it pays to confirm"... thought a very heavily loaded TDI wagon would surely be highline. I'm really quite frustrated with VW's misplaced cheapness. I'd easily have paid $1K more for the car to have gotten factory foglights, rear foglight and the good bluetooth. Instead I've had the car for 10 months and still don't even have functioning fogs. I guess I've been spoiled... every daily driver I've owned in the last 26 years came with fog lights... not having to hassle with finding parts and DIY.
Sorry, after doing some more research, I'm 99% sure your 2010 wagon TDI does not have a highline control module. Do you have a VCDS? It's needed to change the module coding to let the car know foglights are installed. Below is a screenshot from a 2010 wagon TDI. Even though there's a checkbox to add foglights I don't think it'll work. You could test it by changing the code to add foglights and see if it sticks. If it doesn't stick, you don't have a highline module.

I'm sure that the highline trim wagons in Canada which have highline control modules for lighting because they come with foglights.

If you do install them, please document how you install with some pics so that it can be added to the FAQ. I'm sure there are plenty of other people looking to install foglights.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Factory fogs + high bluetooth would be cheaper than 1k to DIY. VW USA's fault for not having these options because they could make more money from those who are willing to pay for custom build cars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The responses are all appreciated. I'm not totally crazy then. I don't have VCDS. I originally thought I'd need it just to turn off the DRL's that I hated. But found out how to do that without it. I have already purchased the OEMplus light kit and the rear fog and headlight switch, on the misguided belief that it couldn't possibly be hard to install either since I'm pretty good at working on cars and installing stuff. I like the headlight switch already... at least parking lights work now. My $1k figure is figuring $300 for fogkit, $170 for rear, $100 for switch, somewhere around $500 for new highline and somewhere around $400 for the good blue tooth. That adds up to $1470 in parts I need to add, without even factoring in labor to do it yet...but then having useless parts I take out for the replacements. If VW had done this in a quality manner it would've cost them a very amount more... and guys like us could add on a basic option without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts