VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm new the forum and thought I'd introduce myself. My wife and I just picked up a '10 Sportwagen DSG.

We picked up the DSG due to the fact that my wife didn't feel she'd be comfortable with the stick with two kids in the back making noise.

Here are my first impressions after 150 miles. We are coming from a Mazda 3 hatchback, so my impressions will be comparisons to that.

The highway ride is very controlled, but still softer than the 3.
The torque from the diesel is great.
Interior storage is poor. Quite frankly, I'm amazed at how much more storage the 3 has over the Jetta. I think my friends Gen V Golf had more storage than the new Gen VI Jetta.

We're enjoying our first few days with the TDI so far.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
:needpics:

Congrats! Check out the DSG FAQ. I've read some reports where people get a hesitation from a stop. Just like automatic feels different from manual, DSG feels and reacts different. They say that this hesitation is most likely if you quickly lift off the brake and press hard on the accelerator, which is why it tends to show up when someone tries to pull out quickly like in front of traffic or from a stop sign. If you pause a second or gently press on the accelerator after quickly lifting off the brake, people say you should be able to avoid this.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Interior storage is poor. Quite frankly, I'm amazed at how much more storage the 3 has over the Jetta. I think my friends Gen V Golf had more storage than the new Gen VI Jetta.
Where exactly is the JSW deficient in storage? I'll assume you're talking about little compartments, since the JSW has 50% more capacity as a Mazda 2 5 door when the seats are folded.

All JSWs have the same door cards as the MK V Golf/Jetta, and the forward console was exactly the same on the '09 wagons. The '10 isn't that much different.

The JSW has a lot of under-floor storage in the cargo area where all kinds of stuff can be hidden, including a ton of stereo equipment. The MZ3 isn't even close.

I'll concede that certain model years of the Mazda have that really deep glovebox that comes from being derived from the Ford Focus/Volvo S40 family.

·
Registered
2 Posts
While I have a newer 3

I have a 2010 Mazda3 sedan that I love, but while I haven't driven an original 3 to compare it with, I have driven my Mom's red 2010 TDI JSW, which is also a great car, just very, very different when compared to my 3 (which my mom also loves driving, but it doesn't get good enough gas mileage for her work commute).

The 2010 3 has a much larger center console and a larger glovebox than the 2010 JSW. The storage bins in the doors and the overhead consoles seem about equal. While the central storage space under the HVAC controls in the Jetta is larger, that's really the only storage area in the front two seats where the Jetta exceeds the 3 in storage (and my mom only puts her garage door opener there, go figure).

Of course the JSW holds much more overall with the seats folded. In fact, I'm posting this from my mom's house today because I came over to help her load a large dresser into the back of her wagon. Frankly I'm amazed that it fit, but it did.

The differences I've noticed between the 2010 Mazda3 and TDI JSW are as follows, if any cares to read:

- I MUCH prefer the 6-speed & 2.5 engine in my 3 over the JSW. It is much easier to shift, more fun to shift, and the engine's more fun to rev. The Jetta gets much better gas mileage of course. So far her best is 42mpg and mine's only 29mpg. But my car's much harder to stall accidentally than hers.

- The JSW feels like a rolling bank vault compared to the 3 when you shut a door. The 3 feels flimsy when you shut the door with a window partially rolled down. And the perceived quality of anyone riding in the JSW is much higher than what they'd say about the 3.

- The JSW has a useful backseat, the 3...nearly unusable.

- The 3 has better headlights on low & high beams (but utterly useless foglights)

- I love the panoramic sunroof in the JSW, and I'm amazed how I can drive it down the interstate with all the windows down and the sunroof opened all the way with such minimal wind buffeting. The 3 has much more wind buffeting with everything open (mine also has a sunroof). It's a lot of fun to drive on a clear night with a full moon and the sunroof totally open in the JSW, an experience the 3 really can't replicate very well.

- The Bose stereo (optional) in the 3 sounds better than the stereo in the JSW, but I had to pay a freaking fortune to have the iPod adapter cable installed ($500 for the kit & installation) while the JSW came with it already installed (but the cable's too short, in my opinion).

- The iPod adapter works much better in the 3 than it does in the JSW, which responds slowly to input. I think the audio controls in general are easier to use on the 3, and the HVAC knobs are much easier to use (why did VW use those tiny little tick marks on completely round control dials?).

- The rear windows on the 3 go all the way down, they don't stop with the tiny bit sticking out like the JSW, but on the 3 only the drivers window is 1-touch down & up.

- The JSW rides more comfortably and feels more solid on the road, very different in character than the 3. Feels less fun to drive, though, and it doesn't inspire you to rev it up and have fun tossing it around like the 3 does.

- My mom and I are equally happy with our cars and they serve different purposes for each of us.

Not a great picture, but the only one I could find with both of our cars in it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nice review. I thought all new cars had 1 touch windows. How much more work could it be for the factory to that feature? It seems like it could be a quick addition at the window switch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I'm tall enough that I really like to sit with the drivers seat all the way back. It's literally almost impossible for someone to get in the backseat behind me without me moving my seat up a bit. But then, I'm not married and have no kids so I don't really care about the backseat.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Thanks for the review and comparison.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the delayed reply, we went camping for the weekend, and we ended up having to sleep in the back of our Jetta due to the arrival of a severe storm in northern WI.

In regards to storage, others were dead on related to where the Mazda is larger. It is specifically related to console and glovebox storage. I'd say the Mazda has 3 times the storage in these areas. Hat being said, we could never have slept I. The back of our 3.

We also went through our first tank of gas: 38.9 mpg calculated. I haven't been using cruise in order to break the motor per the methodology on this site.

Nevertheless, we love the Jetta thus far.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts