VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 2010 Jetta TDI sedan two days ago, so far am very pleased with it. My first drive to work which is about 45 miles and mostly freeway was 50 mpg, the drive home which had me running around in the city and slow going on the freeway had it down to 40 mpg. This is great! The only feature of the car I do not like is the Bluetooth. The manual that came with the car does not differentiate between the different Bluetooth options that can come with these cars and even then when I did figure it out there was almost nothing that pertained to the one that is in my car. It is painfully slow to the point of distraction, but it does work. There are lots of bells and whistles I have to figure out yet.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Thanks for the report. What is slow about it? When you pick up it takes a few seconds to actually pick up the call? Is there a lag in the voice?

Hopefully VW will release a bluetooth supplement for the manual.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Answering a call is great. People that I have talked to say it is almost better sounding than my head mounted Bluetooth and it sounds great on my end no lag that I can tell. What is slow is the speed of the dialogs, which there is to way to change with this particular model, and their is no apparent short cuts, such as "dial home". I will eventually get used to it. Nothing in the manual states that there may be different installations with different features and the voice commands are different than the book as well, such as changing dialog speed, I pointed this out dealer customer service. There was nothing on the sticker that stated what model of Bluetooth it is, both in the manual and sticker stated "Enhanced Bluetooth hands-free package. It may be 9w2, but not knowing what features 9w2 has I could not tell you. I know for sure it is not Volk-L and it is not what would come standard with the RNS-510 nav system.

Nate

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree, with that huge screen on the Radio, it'd be great to have some intergration between the bluetooth and radio, adding numbers, flipping through the phonebook, call time, but I guess they want to keep these features for the bigger Nav Package.

I haven't messed around with it that much, as I don't have bluetooth on my phone, my girlfirends sync'd no problem.

Some how my streering wheel came off center this past weekend. That's my only negatives in the first 1000 miles. Ohhh and there is some resonant noise when the sun roof is open more than halfway and driving above 60, which is kinda disapointing.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Phone book features on the screen are reserved for 9w3, the highline bluetooth on the Passat CC, Touareg, more expensive models. They really should make it optional since I'm sure people will pay for it.

Do you have a flap at the front of the sunroof that comes up when the sunroof opens? Try opening the front windows and rear windows at varying degrees to change the cross flow over the sunroof. This should help reduce the buffering feeling or resonant noise. You could add one of those wind deflectors, the kind that sticks over the front edge, to reduce the buffering noise. The same thing happens when you open the rear windows too far without having crossflow from the air vents or front windows.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where can one find info of what makes up a 9w2 or 9w3? Is it possible that adding the nav unit will make it into a 9w2 or does the blutooth module need to be changed also? I assume there may be vag-com type changes necessary. After talking to others with factory bluetooth in other manufacturers cars, it would seem that what I have is the norm, just wish they had done a better job on the manual. Went through my first tank of fuel, got 37 mpg average. I am sure it will get better after I quit showing off the car:D

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
The 9w3 is a completely different system, it's not a simple plug-play module change. I am not 100% sure exactly what modules would need replacing but someone on another forum asked this and the reply was that it would be 3-4x cheaper to buy a good aftermarket system with this capability. In other words, thousands of dollars to retrofit.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The 9w3 is a completely different system, it's not a simple plug-play module change. I am not 100% sure exactly what modules would need replacing but someone on another forum asked this and the reply was that it would be 3-4x cheaper to buy a good aftermarket system with this capability. In other words, thousands of dollars to retrofit.

On the CC it's plug play with some software changes and a new wiring harness if you have the nav system. VW doesn't sell the harness but you can find aftermarket adapters for the 9w3 module which makes it possible vs very difficult. I guarantee that the dealer isn't going to install an aftermarket wiring harness in your car so you would have to DIY. Only the 9w3 has voice control and that is not going to be a feature on Jettas.

FYI, here are some pics of the 9w3 bluetooth on a Touareg and a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcSE0B7aRpE

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So what would I have or not have besides voice command if I installed a RNS510 in my 2010 Jetta?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I looked into it a little more, since nobody has done this retrofit to a Jetta yet, you'd need to find your own way. People have done it to Passat CC.

With those cars you'd need the 9w3 bluetooth module, the NAV system that accepts 9w3 ( I don't know if the one in the Jetta can accept 9w3 or if it's just software), aftermarket wiring adapters (saves money compared to factory 9w3 wiring harness) at a minimum.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
You could also do aftermarket to get outgoing call, voice control, phone book features on a RNS 510.

Here is an adapter for the factory bluetooth, not sure which bluetooth it's for:
http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p360_Bluetooth-Handsfree---Harness---VW-Golf-5.html

Here is one aftermarket bluetooth system

http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p995_Bluetooth-Premium--with-rSAP----Retrofit---VW-Golf-5-Golf-Plus.html

another one
http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1182_FISCON-Bluetooth-Handsfree----Basic-Plus----VW--Skoda.html

obviously you will not get dealer support with these but the people at the German company kufatec.de are supposed to have good english.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i'm hoping the time comes soon when a brave soul decides to upgrade to 9w3 bluetooth and the rns-510 on a 2010 jetta tdi. and then of course they post a detailed guide with pics.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have looked into installing the RNS510 and the Chinese equivalents and have come to the conclusion that nothing, as has been previously stated, is totally "plug and play" although I believe that the main functions of the RNS510 will work without any mods. The RNS510 will at least take some VAG tweaking to make some of its capabilities work. This may be difficult as the 2010 is using some mk6 modules and there has been little experience tweaking them. The Bluetooth that came standard is not Volk-L as I can dial out with voice command, it does not use the phones contact list but you can build one via voice commands. The buttons on the overhead that are shown in the differences FAQ do not exist, but the mic is still there. I have no idea how this Bluetooth will interact with the RNS510. I really like the RCD510 and the premium 8 system that is in the car, it is the best stock stereo I have ever had. I did my first mod today. I installed a euro type head light switch so I could turn off the DRLs and have running lights only. Also I have the ability to later add fog lights. It was "plug and play". I am just about through my third tank of fuel and am averaging 44 mpg.

·
Registered
142 Posts
So you DO have voice command and phone book? What bluetooth model do you have? I thought the 2010 was coming with standard bluetooth like volk-l.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Both the sticker and the owners manual refer to it as "Enhanced Bluetooth hands-free package" there is no reference to a model number. Everything is accomplished by voice command except for answering a call, initiating a call, and volume, that is done on the steering wheel.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
That confirms that you have 9w3 high bluetooth. I've updated the FAQ articles, since the Golfs have arrived at dealers this week, more info has been confirmed.

The overhead console is on a Golf with 9w2. Jetta wagon spec sheets also say 9w2. Once they start getting delivered this will be either confirmed or refuted. Jetta sedans come with 9w3 or Volk-L. The 9w3 is factory installed and it looks like it's actually $50 cheaper than the Volk-L which is a port installed option.

·
Registered
5 Posts
over on another forum (golfmkv), there are reports that someone swapped out the rcd-510 for the rns-510 and at the same time upgraded their bluetooth in a 2010 jetta. i guess it was pretty much plug and play.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Voice Command in 2010 JSW Non-NAV cars

Hi:

In a related issue my salesman claims he can get voice command to work in the 2010 Sedan. However the 2010 brochure for the JSW suggests that the Sedan gets "blue tooth with voice command" while it just says "bluetooth" for the wagon. (see 2nd or third page from back in the brochure).
Have any early JSW 2010 wagon owners gotten the voice command to work?
Has anyone gotten their phone book to show up on the screen?
If it has voice command is it the blue tooth 2 version or bluetooth 3 version?

thanks

mar

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
While I don't have a JSW and don't have confirmation on this, I believe that the JSW probably won't have voice command. If you order a JSW with the nav RNS 510, it's possible that it could add voice command.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts