VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen 6-spd manual. Ordered before the 2010's were avail, and delivered (10/09) in the US.

It has the hiccups :-(
I was unaware before, but now find many blogs and forums to this effect. I'm responding to this post:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a5/2010golfTDI_buyerschecklist.htm

At 800 km I took it back. 8 days later, my car had an entirely new fuel system. Tank, lines, filter. etc.

Still hiccups :-(

It hiccups randomly, but I can reproduce this hiccup consistently: cruising on the flat, 2K rpm, 3rd gear. Go over a sudden decline (there's nothing steep in NJ) - hiccup.

Two of us drive this car, and it happens to both of us.

There are other issues with responsiveness, which I'm addressing with VW as well.

Regards.

J

·
0 Posts
Entirely new fuel system? Why did they replace it? In response to the hiccups? Someone said that they saw metal in the fuel filter, open your fuel filter and take a look. Or did they replace it in response to the hiccup? Take the dealer rep for a ride and show them.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I've heard that one of the power chip tuners has solved the hiccup problem but they aren't telling how because it's propritary information. My best total guess is that it's related to the balance between the emissions system/throttle/engine/fuel delivery system. In other words, tuning. A chip can give them grounds to deny a warranty claim on the powertrain though so this is not an option for most.

Give them a chance to fix it before getting hostile. It sounds like they're working with you to fix it. Make sure everything is documented. Since they are replacing all these items after only 8 days, pressure for an extended warranty - something like up to 100,000 miles and 8 years on the engine/fuel system/transmission/emissions system. Regular warranty on the items not affected by the hiccup.

The regular powertrain warranty is 5 year/60,000 miles. This is a very fair compromise on a brand new car. It's not like you're asking 100,000 miles and 10 years powertrain warranty which is the standard warranty at hyundai.

I've seen some reports of metal in the fuel filter which would be a bad high pressure fuel pump on the engine. See this article on how to remove the cap and take a look. It should be totally clean with no metal flakes. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a5/fuel_filter.htm

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I looked a little more and the current theory is that the EGR system tuning is the most likely cause for hiccup in some cars. Your car's specific issue may be something else. At this time there is no official fix for it but adjusting the software with an aftermarket chip may solve it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hiccups also

I just picked up my 2010 Jetta TDI sportswagon 6 speed man about a week ago in VA (USA) and drove it to MI and now have 1200K miles on it. Love everything about it, except for the moon roof that opens the car up some but I feel it makes the body less firm while taking corners. I have noticed this sudden hiccup about 3 times now and was wondering what it was. I cannot replicate it and it tend to happen randomly. What seems to be the consensus on what to ask the dealer to look at? Has there been a sheet distributed internally at VW on this?
Thanks-first post

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
If there has been a sheet internally it's not yet published.

At this time the hiccup appears to be caused by EGR tuning and operation. It's not due to the transmission since you have a manual.

I wouldn't say it's normal but according to the dealer it will probably be "normal". I would tell the dealer to scan the car, specifically the EGR system. It's unlikely they will find anything though since it's considered normal and occurs randomly. Try to figure out when it happens most since it will help them diagnose it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is becoming a noticeable problem, hopefully will issue a reflash for the ECU that can fix this because if it's stumbling now, what about after the warranty runs out?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought a new 2010 jetta tdi 6 speed manual in November 2009, hiccups when cruising in the 50 - 80mph range... haven't been able to replicate for the dealer yet... I'm sure they will have a fix for it once the warranty is up...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2010 Jetta TDI. My hiccup is usually a few minutes after the car is first started and I am cruizing at about 30-40.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2010 Jetta SPW hiccups

I also notice the "hiccup" when coasting down hill or on the flat, notice more this past fall than this winter. I mentioned it to the dealership, and they did not seem to know what was causing it. My sales person has one and stated he had encountered it as well.

My feeling is that as long as the engine otherwise runs, and the "hiccup" does not affect the performance, am not going to fret over it for now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
After about 10k miles on my '09, the engine stoppped hiccuping. Just a wild theory but it could be something that only happens while the engine is breaking in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts