VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just recently I installed GTI style Projector headlights w/4500k HID kit for my 2010 Jetta TDI.

Link: http://www.parts4euro.com/DCShop/product_info.php?cPath=1_37_104&products_id=1100

I got them all hooked up and installed onto the vehicle, but when i go to use the high beams nothing happens. Everything else works except for the high beam. I know the electronics are different for the 2010 Jetta's, but i can't seem to figure out what to do with the coding and the Vag-Com part of this. I have no idea what Bi-Xenon shutters are and if I even have them or if they have anything to do with this. I'm new to all of this. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Cheers, Daniel

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Bi xenon shutters won't do anything because it uses a physically non present wire to activate the HID shutters. If you had OEM HID you would have to add the wire to make the shutters work.

I recently helped someone install aftermarket headlights onto a 2010 Jetta and the weird thing is that everything worked except the parking light on one side. It would work but then turn off within a half second, throw a code, and not work again. I even verified all the wiring and applied 12v to the headlights to verify that everything on the headlights worked. It did.

As a start, any codes? If you can apply 12v to the headlights with them off the car and not connected to the wiring harness, do the high beams work? Just find the pin that powers 12v and ground.

One interesting thing is that the headlights say -2009 even though it's under Jetta.

You might be able to do something with VCDS but they don't support aftermarket HID kit coding. You could try PMing them directly or use your email support.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the warm welcoming! The High Beams and everything else works when the engine is off, but not when started. I tried that VCDS mod that you linked and everything seemed to work just fine except for the fact that it only showed the km/h speedometer, not the regular mph one. I looked through all of the menus but i couldn't find anything to change it back. Is there any way to fix that?

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
I don't think you can remove the kph in the UK many people have asked about this. Its been law in Europe for many years that speedos have to be dual marked. Because the speedo it electronic with only the mph scale they have to show kph in the MFD.

In the link it says
(You need an OEM GPS or compass module for the compass to show up in the display but if you have a highline display the car already has at least the compass module).
I didn't know you could get a compass module I thought it just worked of the GPS radios thats what my handbook says. Mine is an highline but mine doesn't show it or any options in the menu. Anyone know where the compass module is situated?

They do loads of mods to these MFDs. As from January 2010 they should all have the digital gear change indicator. I took mine back to have it enabled but they couldn't do it, they say I must have an older MFD. I found out the 2009 cars had this feature so thats more bull from the stealer. ;)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I believe the compass module is under the rear trunk in the Jetta and in the Golf it's under the rear headliner. I don't know how you would get it wired. I'll bet you could put it behind the dashboard though. Since my car came from the factory with GPS there is no compass module.

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
Well I would have thought (but this is silly me) if they have fitted the compass module they would have wired it else whats the point in fitting it as it will cost VW money to fit it on assembly and not use it? ;)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Well I would have thought (but this is silly me) if they have fitted the compass module they would have wired it else whats the point in fitting it as it will cost VW money to fit it on assembly and not use it? ;)
I believe that's the case. If no compass module no wiring and vice versa.

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
As from January 2010 they should all have the digital gear change indicator. I took mine back to have it enabled but they couldn't do it, they say I must have an older MFD. I found out the 2009 cars had this feature so thats more bull from the stealer. ;)
I found out today from Buck that there could be a software update to enable the digital gear change indicator. I shall have to enquire when I'm close to the sealers.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=176242.40

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
As from January 2010 they should all have the digital gear change indicator. I took mine back to have it enabled but they couldn't do it, they say I must have an older MFD. I found out the 2009 cars had this feature so thats more bull from the stealer. ;)
I found out today from Buck that there could be a software update to enable the digital gear change indicator. I shall have to enquire when I'm close to the sealers.
Ok I took it back to the dealer this week to try and digital gear indicator enabled again. I said I've asked this question on a few forums and users have said they took it in for a service and it came out with the digital gear indictor showing. Another user Buck had his done at VW Huddersfield so there must be a fix. I took the pamphlet that showed the MY2010 GTD should have this. I asked them to ring VW Huddersfield but they wouldn't we have to follow VW procedures and do it their way.

I waited around for an hour then I saw the technician come in the service reception and started reading the pamphlet, I went over to them. He says no its only fitted the BlueMotion. I said no read page 6 its fitted to the GTD. He read it and said I wish I had read this earlier it would have saved alot of time. Again tossers on reception don't speak to the tech. He said we've disconnected the battery to reset everything but it still doesn't show. We've done a full scan and there is nothing wrong with the system settings. We've sent the scan report with the problem to VW and we will have to wait for the reply.

So they wasted an hour doing the exact same checks at they did last year when I first reported this problem. Because they had reset everything the DRLs were back on which I turned off again and the MFD settings weren't how I like them. I phoned them today to ask if they have had the report back from VW. They have and there is a software update to enable this so I've booked it in for next Wednesday to finally get this sorted. I will let you know if it works or they cock something else up while doing this?

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcoming! The High Beams and everything else works when the engine is off, but not when started. I tried that VCDS mod that you linked and everything seemed to work just fine except for the fact that it only showed the km/h speedometer, not the regular mph one. I looked through all of the menus but i couldn't find anything to change it back. Is there any way to fix that?
Is it the halogen high beams that work when the engine is off? if that's the case then that is per design/specs.

When the engine is off and the HIDs are off, halogens are used for highway flashing.

If your HIDs are on and then you try to pull the stack to flash, then the signal is sent through the shutter wires to your HIDs and the shutters should flip up and your HIDs should work as high means.

I am making a lot of assumptions in your case such as: you have a high line CECM and have OEM Bi-Xenons and have wired the shutters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts