VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
***There are still more pictures that I need to take/post, but I can't do that right now because the car is not home right now***

I am sorry for the long delay in posting this, but I REALLY wanted to finish up my Golf, and that was taking up all of my time. And it made me super greasy/dirty, so I didn’t want to go near the new car or touch the camera.

About a month ago my dads Dodge Dakota started needing about 2k in repairs each time it was taken to the shop. Needless to say we were getting tired of paying this kind of money, so we decided to buy a brand new car instead of another used one. My dad was looking at the VW Scirocco R (he wanted something sporty because it was his "midlife crisis car"). I tried to get him to realize just how evil and disgusting gasoline is, so I kept telling him to get a Jetta TDI (mostly because the Scirocco and the '09/'10 Golf’s are ass ugly) with a manual transmission. He did some research and he found the TDI "Cup Edition". The car he got is supposedly exactly the same as the TDI's raced in the TDI Cup, but without the stripped out interior and roll cages. Here's how it looks next to one of those:

After trying to decide between the only two within the maximum distance we were willing to dive, we decided to go with the one that was about 3 or 4 hours away in Pennsylvania. Here is the car in the lot (sorry, but this is a cell phone picture. It is all I had on me at the time):

I will try to compare this to my stock1999.5 Golf which is from the Mk4 platform that you may already be familiar with so you can sort of get a general “feel” for how it compares to one of those. I tried to split this up into sections of stuff that are related to each other, rather than just one big thing of words.

First impressions (before we drove it):
As soon as I laid eyes on it I was blown away by the amazing “body kit” that it had (it’s not like one you’d see on a Honda or other Japanese car that all the teenagers drive nowadays) along with the 18 inch alloy wheels with red brake calipers. When I looked at the bottom of the rear doors I noticed that it said “TDI Cup Edition”, which was a bit ugly in my opinion, but it’s not my car. While walking around the car, I saw that it had dual exhaust tips, which looked pretty sporty. The spoiler was pretty neat, and it’s not three feet tall like the ones all the kids with the Honda's put on their cars. The car sits very low to the ground (but not too low), so it handles great. Here is a picture of the car in our drive way so you can see most of the “body kit”:

My least favorite thing about the exterior:

Here is my favorite part, the bumper:

Here’s a close up of one of the 18 inch rims with the red brake calipers and the paper thin tires:

A decent shot of the engine:

When the salesman opened the door front driver’s door to allow my dad to sit down, I noticed that the bottom of the door sill was trimmed in chrome and said “TDI Cup” on them. Only the front two doors have this. When I looked at the interior I noticed the sexy plaid pattern on the seats that I don’t think the normal 2010 cars come with (?) I was forced to sit in the back while the salesman sat in the passenger to show my dad all of the awesome features it had. While I was back there I noticed that the back seats have their own air vents! I was so happy because now I could get some cold or warm air right away instead of having to wait for it to drift back to me from the front seats. Under the air vents there is a piece that folds down. When I folded it down I found electrical outlet so I can plug in my laptop or phone to charge it! While I was sitting back there I noticed that the seats weren’t exactly cloth seats like you’d find on a normal car. I’m not exactly sure how to describe them, but they felt “nylon-ish” (for lack of a better word) and were kind of stiff, whereas the back seats in my Golf the seats are actually cloth and are softer and more comfortable in my opinion. Although the seats aren’t as “comfortable” there is MUCH more legroom in the back than my Golf has. Here is a picture of the door sill with the chrome trim at the bottom:

When I got a chance to sit in the front, the first thing I went for was the owners manual. It is much more detailed than the owner’s manual that came with my Golf and covered about every inch of the car, except it is in booklet form rather than a three ring binder like my Golf’s. Upon reinstalling the manual I found that the glove box was air conditioned! You can turn regulate the glove box vent if you don’t want the air in there going full blast, or you can turn it off altogether. The only downside is the temperature of air you have turned on in the cabin is the temperature of the air in the glove box, so if you want to stick your Arby’s roast beef sandwich in there to keep it warm, I sure hope you have the heat on instead of the A/C. Here's a shot of the vent:

The front seats are also stiff and made of a funny material like the rear seats, but they have a lumbar support for your lower back which makes them more tolerable. It is adjusted with a knob on the side of the seat, just like the knob that moves the back of the seat forward or back like my Golf has. The seats also have a “ratchet lever” on the side to move the seat up and down, just like my Golf does. The lumbar support is adjusted with a knob that is slightly smaller, so you can tell the difference when reaching back there to adjust the seat.

While in the front I noticed that the cup holders can now tolerate larger drinks and they are MUCH more study (mostly because they are built into the center console next to the emergency brake) than the pop out ones my Golf has. I also like how they won’t leak all over my radio when the item in the cup holder starts to “sweat” like the ones in my in my Golf do. If you have a drink that is too big for the cup holder, there is a spot in the door where you can place your huge bottles.
New center cup holders:

Big "cup holder" in the door:

The radio is a touch screen and comes with Sirius Satellite Radio free for 30 days. There are tons of channels and there is enough variety to make anyone happy. It has a large screen that is very easy to see and I like how it “beeps” when you touch it so you know that the radio felt your “poke”. The car has ten phenomenal speakers (three in each front door, two in each back door), so music sounds like the band is right in the car with you. If you lift up center arm rest, you will find a cable to plug in your iPod. It lets you control your iPod with the large touch screen on the radio instead of trying to read the little screen. There is also an auxiliary jack in front so you can plug in your headphones and still listen to music if everyone else in the car is sleeping and you don’t want to disturb them.
Here's the raido:

iPod hookup:

Headphone jack:

I really liked how the door locks and the window buttons are far away from each other on the front passenger side. On the front passenger side in my Golf it is easy to mix them up and unlock the doors when you’re actually just trying to roll down the window. The mirror adjustment knob on the driver’s door has a function that defrosts the mirrors in the winter, unlike my Golf. When you or the car lock the doors, there is no little tab thing sticking up to pinch your arm like it has done to me so many times. In fact, there is no little tab it all you can push/pull on to do stuff with the locks. This doesn’t seem very safe to me because now you can’t manually lock the doors, but I hardly do that anyways.

Another cool thing was the floor mats. The Jetta came with the rubber floor mats that can be easily cleaned off in case of dirt or something spilled on them. With my Golf any dirt or liquid is almost impossible to clean off, and will smell forever (which they already do)

The air control knobs are much easier /smoother to turn than the ones in my Golf. In my Golf I feel like I’m going to break the knob if I’m not careful when I turn them. Another nifty feature is on the dash above the radio, there is a piece that looks like a giant speaker, but it’s not. It’s not a vent to defrost the windshield, either. If you don’t like the cold/warm air blowing straight on your face, simply just turn the knob in front of it (it looks like the ones next to the vents to open/close them) and it will cut down on the air blowing on you and it blows the air out of the giant vent you just turned on above the radio. The knobs under the radio that you turn to adjust where the air is blowing and the knob you use to adjust the temperature of the air also activate the seat warmers to warm you up in the winter.
The seat warmer knob:

The screen between the tachometer and the speedometer is pretty cool, too. After you activate the Bluetooth on your phone and connect to the car, the buttons on the steering wheel let you scroll through the contacts in your phone and let you make hands free calls. When you make/receive a call it turns off the radio for you. You can also scroll through your radio presets or scroll through the different channels on the Sirius Satellite Radio, but that takes much longer than just using the radio itself. With the screen you can also see your average MPG at the time, the estimated miles you’ll get from a tank, and your current speed. The current speed thing isn’t as reactive as the speedometer itself, so it’s best just to use it when you’re cursing down the highway or somewhere else you’re going a pretty consistent speed. The steering wheel buttons also let you adjust the volume on the radio so you don’t have to take your hands off the wheel to do so. Speaking of controls by the steering wheel, the turn signal lever has this feature that turns on the signal for three full cycles, then it turns it off so you don’t drive down the street with your signal on like an old lady. What you do is tap it up or down (depending on which way you’re going) and it turns them on. This is mostly used for changing lanes on the highway. The only bad thing is when you go to turn off your signal and you accidently push it a little too far, it turns on the three cycle thing and people think you’re an idiot for turning your signals off and on.

When the salesman showed us the trunk, it was amazing how big the trunk is. It looks small from the outside, but inside it had as much or more space than my mom’s CRV. The trunk has these hooks for to hang bags that have squishable or fragile items in them (bread, eggs, etc). It also came with four plastic pieces that are a little over a foot long and about six inches high. They have Velcro on the bottom and are used to block of parts of the trunk to protect things, or to keep stuff from siding around, or however you want to use them. We go grocery shopping in the Jetta now instead of the CRV. There is also an outlet in the trunk (the cigarette lighter type outlet).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Although there were many nice things about it, there were still some things that I didn’t like (these are still before the test drive):
When I first looked at the car I noticed that the tires are VERY thin. This makes the ride somewhat uncomfortable, especially with the stiffer suspension. Also, since the car is pretty low to the ground, going over speed bumps and other things may be dangerous to the underside of the car, along with the “body kit” it has. It seems like a skid plate would be a must, but my dad thinks they’re a waste of money. As I mentioned before, I think the big “TDI Cup Edition” on the sides is pretty ugly. The TDI emblem on the back of the car is much smaller than the one on my Golf and is much harder to see, especially because the “I” in “TDI” is the same color blue as the rest of the car. Also, with its low “aggressive” stance and the “body kit” that makes it look “sporty”, it may be somewhat of a cop magnet because they might think it’s just another teenager who fixed up his car to break the law and speed. I bet they’ll be surprised when they pull him over and they see a 52 year old man behind the wheel.

Going back to the interior, as I already said the seats are kind of stiff and it starts to hurt in a certain area if sat on for too long. In the back, the cup holders are in a fold down thing that comes out of the center of the seats. These cup holders are much sturdier than the pop out ones in my Golf and won’t leak, but usually on long car rides where both front seats are occupied I like to lay down in the back seat and sleep.

Because the antenna is so small, the AM/FM reception SUCKS! Only the satellite radio comes in clear. Maybe I’m just crazy, but I think they did that on purpose so you’ll pay for the Sirius. I tend to be super anal about how things are in my car (mostly just stuff being on straight) and the volume knob for the radio has the power button on it that turns the radio on or off. My problem with it is when you use the knob to turn the radio up or down, the power symbol rotates with it. I guess that isn’t a big deal, but it still bugs me…
Turned knob:

Although the fit and finish on the interior is pretty nice, it scuffs/scratches as easy as that “soft touch rubber” stuff the plastic bits in my Golf are coated with. When I get out of our new car, my foot usually kind of rubs against the bottom of the door. When you close the door it is not noticeable, but I’m surprised that the plastic gets scratched just from my shoe sliding against it.

The radio may sound great with music, but when you do a hands free call it sounds like shit. It is very hard to understand what the other person is saying and you pretty much have to yell in order for you to be heard by the other person.

Alrighty then, so now it’s time to finally start the car and take it for a drive!
When we were first handed the key, it still had the same feature that mine has: the key that flips out when you push the button. The new key flips out much faster than my key (most likely because my key is 10 years old). When we first started the car, I was amazed by how quiet it was. If you listened closely you could still hear it, but it is nowhere near as loud as my Golf. You can’t hear the engine with the windows rolled up, whereas with my Golf the engine is easily heard with the windows up. They claim that you can’t hear the turbo on the new Mk6 cars, but that is not entirely true. If we are in an enclosed space (such as between cars or in a tunnel) you can kind of hear it. With my Golf you can hear it no matter what your surroundings are. My dad hasn’t driven a stick in 15 years, so it was expected that he would stall it a few times on the way home, and he did. Supposedly with a dual mass flywheel there is a large “thud” while the car lurches forward, and we found that to be true. I was glad that I was wearing my seat belt when he stalled it, or else I would have been thrown through the windshield! The main reason we kept stalling it is because my dad wasn’t giving it enough fuel when he was getting going. The car shuts off fuel to the engine if the RPM’s get below 750, so it stalls quite easily. On our drive home, the sun was in my face the whole time. The sun visors are too small to block out the sun when it’s staring to get late in the day. When the sun is in the middle of the windshield above the mirror, the little black dots don’t do anything to block the sun. My Golf has a nifty little mini sun visor that I can fold down to block the sun. Bumps were very rough and seemed magnified with the ultra thin tires and the stiff suspension.

As a conclusion, this is a nice car and it has MANY great features not found in the older cars, but I would still rather keep my Golf. That is mostly because the ride is much smoother, it is harder to stall, the seats are more comfortable, it is a bit higher off the ground so it is less likely to scrape over speed bumps (I am still getting a skid plate for my Golf), I can't STAND that gap above the mirror and windshield on the Jetta, and I really like how much more "diesely" my car sounds.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Thanks very much for the review! I just met someone who removed the 18" wheels off their TDI cup edition and put on 17" 225/50/17 wheels. This is 1 size larger for rough NYC streets. Stock for 17" wheels is 225/45/17.

I think sirius is for 3 or 6 months.

Here's a tip from the VW Jetta TDI buying guide: you can pull the driver's side sunvisor out to block the sun. The pass side on Jetta TDI and Sportwagens is fixed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I like the bumper and the graphics on the side. It lets people know it's special. However, a few years from now the graphics could look dated as an IROC-Z graphic on the side. You can always remove it anyways.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Combined with some research and the pics from chunkerz and mike, I have added detailed info to the jetta buying guide for the tdi cup edition: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/2009-2010-VW-Jetta-TDI-checklist.htm

The order guide says general things like GTI seats, GTI brakes, and GTI suspension but doesn't give more detail.

The GTI brakes increase over stock is 288x25 mm rotor to 312x25mm in the front. The rear rotor increase from 260x12mm to 286x12mm. The front calipers are the same as regular TDI except they're painted red. The rears are physically different calipers from regular TDI and are also painted red. The suspension is a little stiffer than the regular Jetta but there's no way to measure the percent of spring rate differences.

I looked at the spring color codes to reference the part numbers but there are so many color code combinations that it doesn't produce useful information.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Nice reviews. Although I didn't like the big mouth bass fasica, it's grown on me. That is one of the best colors VW has. It was a mistake to discontinue it. You must get a lot more looks from the graphic on the side. If you're like me, you can't avoid reading subtitles when they're there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That is a great looking car!

One thing I might note, the Jetta Cup cars have R8 front brakes, too bad they don't come on the production cars, but for $14K IIRC, having smaller ones probably are easier on the wallet for service reasons! :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here's a tip from the VW Jetta TDI buying guide: you can pull the driver's side sunvisor out to block the sun. The pass side on Jetta TDI and Sportwagens is fixed.
Why can't the Audi do this?? That little flappy thing that is supposed to cover above the mirror is "neat", but having sliding visors would be much more useful...

·
Registered
7 Posts
The radio knob also bugs the hell out of me too! I wish the knob rotated around the power icon so it was always vertical. Like you said, not a big deal but somewhat annoying. And as chittychitty mentioned, Sirius is actually free for 6 months on all 2010 models. In 2011, I believe it will be free for only 3 months.

I just got one last week and I agree with the side decals. . . part of the reason I went with black because they're slightly less noticeable. However, if you really hated them, I'm sure they could be removed with a hairdryer and some GooGone.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f7/jetta-tdi-cup-edition-pics-new-forum-3030/

I wouldn't mind the car being covered in decals if it was this one. . . .

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Here's a tip from the VW Jetta TDI buying guide: you can pull the driver's side sun-visor out to block the sun. The pass side on Jetta TDI and Sportwagens is fixed.
I've been using this sliding feature daily since I bought my Golf in February. Now with 11,000 miles on it, I have found that the only screw that holds the visor to the car has loosened with all of the swiveling and sliding I do to it. No big thing right? Well.... access the screw head and give it some turns. This did help, but it definitely is not back to factory-fresh. The visor mount still wiggles even though the screw has been tightened as much as I think it would take before stripping threads out of it's mounting point. I think I will stop using this very nifty feature because the weight of the visor when extended is a bit too much for the one-screw mounting system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts