VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2010 Jetta TDI wagon and noticed we could hear the fuel sloshing around in the tank (as if there were no baffles). Took it back to dealer and they contacted VW, who said that others have been reporting it too. No resolution yet.

Dunno if just Jetta/TDI or other 2010 models. We followed up by trying the one other TDI at the dealer and it was fine. So be sure to listen carefully on your test drive if considering a 2010 - we unfortunately did not :(

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I don't see how they could fix this since I've heard fuel sloshing around on older VW too. It could be the fuel level was low or they could have changed the fuel tank design to save money.

My old car would only slosh when it was full since there was a small air pocket in there, when it drained a bit no sloshing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can hear the sloshing in other jettas if you listen carefully, but not to the same extent as this one - even the dealer admitted it's unusual. Tried it at different fuel levels too - results were the same. The other TDI we tried (also a wagon) didn't have the issue so it's not necessarily just a wagon thing. The dealer was going to replace the tank, but VW won't let them at this point. Dealer also said VW admitted to receiving similar complaints recently.

I'm not confident VW will do anything about it, and it might affect only a small percentage of vehicles, but just want to give a heads-up to anyone shopping out there. Just drive a foot or two and brake - if you hear 3 to 4 loud oscillations ...best try another jetta.

I'll post an followup news.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Bizarre but interesting. I ran my wagen nearly empty this week for the first time but have not heard a damned thing since I've owned it - no sloshing or anything. Hopefully you'll get the attention you deserve though from the dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just picked my sportwagen up yesterday, I can't hear a thing. Side note VENT: Must say that my Stealer is absolute garbage though, they left the aux (mp3) jack in the center console unhooked. The female 3.5mm receptacle wasn't even visible. When I pointed this out they acted like I was crazy then gave me some excuse about not having the screws :(. I about blew a blood vessel on the spot. They then wanted me to come in later to have it fixed, this after taking 2 days to prep the vehicle. The inside sidewalls were dirty, the window sticker was removed (but with my paperwork), they didn't know where the tow eye was (I found it in the driver’s side storage area). And after being promised a full tank it was only 1/2 full. Then I was told that they didn't think that I was allowed to change the oil without violating my warranty. Finally just before leaving they say "You'll be getting a call from VW for a survey we'd appreciate and excellent": :laugh:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just picked my sportwagen up yesterday, I can't hear a thing. Side note VENT: Must say that my Stealer is absolute garbage though, they left the aux (mp3) jack in the center console unhooked. The female 3.5mm receptacle wasn't even visible. When I pointed this out they acted like I was crazy then gave me some excuse about not having the screws :(. I about blew a blood vessel on the spot. They then wanted me to come in later to have it fixed, this after taking 2 days to prep the vehicle. The inside sidewalls were dirty, the window sticker was removed (but with my paperwork), they didn't know where the tow eye was (I found it in the driver’s side storage area). And after being promised a full tank it was only 1/2 full. Then I was told that they didn't think that I was allowed to change the oil without violating my warranty. Finally just before leaving they say "You'll be getting a call from VW for a survey we'd appreciate and excellent": :laugh:
Make sure to follow up on the survey:thumbsup

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my '10 Jetta TDI for a few months now and the only time I hear the sloshing is when the tank is full. After a few gallons are used, I can't hear any sloshing. This is my first VW and so far I love the car!

·
Registered
6 Posts
2010 Jetta sloshing

Just picked up my new 2010 Jetta Sportwagen yesterday and yes, there is sloshing on a full tank when stopping - especially quick stopping. I'll let you know if it continues always or only when tank is full. It's not too distracting - I only notice it when I'm pulling into the garage at home and radio is off, all is quiet, etc. If there's a few of us getting in or out, we don't notice it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
me too

Yes, I have heard the same sloshing noise myself. It tends to be loader with a fuller tank. I just thought it was insufficient insulation of the tank.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
There are no baffles in the fuel tank, although there is a bump out in the rear that may account for the sloshing noise you here. If your fuel level was at or near the level of the bump out, I could see where fuel washing up over the ledge could make the noise you are hearing. They all do it.

Dweisel

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yep - they all do that. The 2005 TDI wagon from Germany does it and the new 2010 wagon from Mexico does it.

Doesn't bother me, kind of sounds nice with the sloshing around of petrol in the rear with the purring of the motor in front.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Golf 2011 TDI with fuel sloshing sound. I thought I was losing my mind when i first heard it. it does not bother me really, as long as it is not an indication of a problem...i cant hear it with the radio on, and it is only really noticeable when the tank is mostly full.

very strange though. i drive jeeps too. those things are really primitive and i have never heard fuel sloshing around.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Golf 2011 TDI with fuel sloshing sound. I thought I was losing my mind when i first heard it. it does not bother me really, as long as it is not an indication of a problem...i cant hear it with the radio on, and it is only really noticeable when the tank is mostly full.

very strange though. i drive jeeps too. those things are really primitive and i have never heard fuel sloshing around.
My 2011 Golf also sloshes when full.. :confused:

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
I've heard mine sloshing about only a couple of times since I've had it. Its a matter of getting the right conditions, amount of fuel in tank, type of bend, are you braking and the shape of the tank?

Its just a way of keeping the weight down by not fitting baffle plates.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts