VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Will Credit Change

Hi:

The Jetta and Golf have the same EPA of 30 and 42. Do you think this will change? Could the IRS be assuming the mileage is the 29/40 from last years Jetta?

Someone needs to tell them!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I don't know but http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1871 helps explain how they determine the credit. The details of what model and what percentages are left out but it is "Available credit amounts may vary and include a base credit amount based on fuel economy compared to the 2002 model year city fuel economy rating and an additional amount based on the vehicle’s lifetime fuel savings"

·
Registered
102 Posts
tax credit golf manual vs. automatic

Hi Chitty:

This is what bothers me. I agree that perhaps the IRS formula gets the Golf the $1700 credit vs. $1300 for the Jetta.

HOWEVER, there is a $1300 credit for the Golf manual and $1700 for the Golf automatic TDIs. Please correct me if I am wrong but the Golf manual gets 30/41 and the automatic gets 30/42 which is the same as the Jetta. Therefore, I having a feeling that perhaps that one mile per gallon difference may be the controlling factor since the 2 Golfs are the same, regardless what happened in 2002.

I want to contact my Senator or Congressman but am I correct about this?
I want to be on solid ground before I have them call the IRS to complain.

thanks

martin

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I don't know how the IRS makes up their decisions. I think calling your Senator or Congressman is a step but unfortunately, I don't think it will result in the desired result. Even if they did to do something I doubt it would go into effect before this tax exemption begins to be reduced and expire.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Congressman Checking Tax Credit Out

Hi Guys and Gals:

My Congressman's office is calling the IRS congressional liason to find out why the Golf automatic 30/42 gets the $1700 credit and the Jetta automatic 30/42 does not. Same engine, same transmission, same mileage and same year but different tax credit is how I had them put it to the IRS. I will keep you al posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts