VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its getting cold and i started to use the engine block heater. However I do not notice any difference in the morning regarding water temperature. Does anyone have experience with that device? How long do you heat before driving? I have it on a timer and usually it is used 2hrs before i leave to work. Any help is appreciated!

Greetings from Montreal

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
I've never heard of a engine block heater. Does it actually plug into the block/cooling system or is it just a heater under the sum?

Many years ago VW used to do an interior heat that could be put on a timer it was just like a blow lamp run on petrol. ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
The block heater is standard for Canadian edition. Its actually nicely done with a spring flap protected socket right next to the left fog lamp. I think its a simple coolant heater, but i am still looking for more information.

see some pictures here: http://65.110.12.166/showthread.php?t=269724&page=2 (further down the page)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It's a simple coolant heater. When you plug it in, it heats up an electric element. I'm not 100% sure but there is probably no pump. Instead of boiling off, the coolant circulates.

2 hours is plenty of time to use the coolant heater but 2-4 hours would get it warmest. How long before you get heat? I had a coolant heater on one of my TDI and with a coolant heater it was about 2 minutes before the car was warm and the temp needle started moving immediately. Without the coolant heater it could be 20 minutes before the car was warm and the temp needle didn't come up for about 15 minutes.

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
Now I know.

I wouldn't have thought thats it would have warmed much without some sort of a pump to circulate? Obvioulsy you can't use the engine circulator (water pump).

This is an obvious word misconception the water pump doesn't pump anything is just assists with circulation. ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Keith, thanks CCBB!
It was -9 Celsius and it took about 3 min for the needle to move. I sort of expected the needle to move a bit right away... I will double check next time its cold out there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wish I had this in my JSW. I'm not even sure if it's an option here (I'm in NY). My drive into work is only 10 minutes long, car is barely warmed up by the time I park, too so the seat heaters have been a god send.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Now I know.

I wouldn't have thought thats it would have warmed much without some sort of a pump to circulate? Obvioulsy you can't use the engine circulator (water pump).

This is an obvious word misconception the water pump doesn't pump anything is just assists with circulation. ;)
The coolant in the cooling system is heated and circulates via convection currents within the cooling system.

I just unplugged my TDI wagon about an hour ago and drove home, and can clearly say that plugging in does not give instant heat. It does ease starting (the glow plugs stay on for far less time), and it does begin to warm up sooner, but that's it. With the cold weather a bigger foe is driving with all that air rushing through the radiator and intercooler. I'm working on getting a set of winter front plates (black powdercoated stainless steel) cut at my local lasercutters....but just haven't got that nailed due to lack of time at the moment.

As far as the pump goes...there are two families of pumps: positive and non-positive displacement pumps.

Positive displacement pumps include piston pumps, gear pumps, vane pumps and all of their subdivisions (variable displacement piston pumps, vane pumps, bent axis piston pumps, etc, etc). They displace a specific amount based on their volume per revolution.

Non-positive displacement pumps (including centrifugal pumps) do not displace a given amount of fluid per revolution, but are still pumps. Turbochargers and centrifugal superchargers also fit into this family. The benefits of this type of pump are primarily that a blockage on the outlet does not hydraulic the pump, and a restriction on the inlet of a non-positive displacement pump will have less cavitation (an implosion caused by very low pressure (as in drawing a vacuum)...which results in pitting and eventual failure) than on a positive displacement pump.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Aftermarket heater available

Wish I had this in my JSW. I'm not even sure if it's an option here (I'm in NY). My drive into work is only 10 minutes long, car is barely warmed up by the time I park, too so the seat heaters have been a god send.
I just got a TDI heater by Frost Heater. http://www.frostheater.com/
I will be installing it soon. I can feel my 2001 Jetta battery is working harder now that the mornings are colder. I'll post on how install was. Says will take no more than 2-3 hours. 100 bucks for kit

1 - 9 of 9 Posts