VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My golf tdi has the "hesitation/hiccup" problem when running for the first few minutes of operation the goes away. Have had it twice actually move me in my seat. A huge performance issue. VW valley auto house techs Have had it happen to them with my car. They have no fix for this issue. I just spent big dollar on this car and to have this issue not resolved is not right. Great car other than that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If they can't fix it and it's documented, try to work with them as much as possible. If it's still not fixed, lemon law it. Is it DSG or standard?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same Problem

I have a 2010 Golf TDI & it has the wierd hiccup thing, too. I have a manual transmission. When it hiccups I'm usually accelerating from a stop & have my foot completely off the clutch. It's like the car dies for a fraction of a second then decides to run again. I've also had it die on me a couple of times as I coast to a stoplight or stop sign in neutral. On top of that, my car creaks & rattles like a 15 year old car...it is VERY annoying. The tech at the dealership was shocked at the amount of noises inside.

As far as the hiccup goes, they updated the engine software to try to cure it, but it didn't work. My car was manufactured in March if that is of any interest...apparently there was an update released for the engine in the last couple of months...it improved my mileage from 38 mpg/hwy to 44 mpg/hwy. Now getting 40-ish on most of my trips around town in combined driving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Going back into shop on Thursday. Same issue with the hesitation at low MPH just before engine warmup. VW Tech refuses to recognize this as a problem and hopes we will all go away. Not this Golf Owner! How can they think is "normal"? MY first trip to dealer the tech at the dealer said he felt what seemed to be a miss fire. VW technical calls this normal operation. BS

·
Registered
4 Posts
The only issues i have seen is with the hiccups so they are called and the stalling for sure are the egr's if it has codes for failure this will fix the problem when replaced.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a 2010 Golf TDI & it has the wierd hiccup thing, too. I have a manual transmission. When it hiccups I'm usually accelerating from a stop & have my foot completely off the clutch. It's like the car dies for a fraction of a second then decides to run again. I've also had it die on me a couple of times as I coast to a stoplight or stop sign in neutral. On top of that, my car creaks & rattles like a 15 year old car...it is VERY annoying. The tech at the dealership was shocked at the amount of noises inside.

As far as the hiccup goes, they updated the engine software to try to cure it, but it didn't work. My car was manufactured in March if that is of any interest...apparently there was an update released for the engine in the last couple of months...it improved my mileage from 38 mpg/hwy to 44 mpg/hwy. Now getting 40-ish on most of my trips around town in combined driving.
My issue is exactly the same, but I'd say it is typically under pretty hard acceleration. Typically it is just after I shift into 2nd (manual), but it did it once when I was downshifting to pass another car. I went from 5th to 3rd, punched it and.....blah. It lost all power for maybe 3 seconds then rev'd to life with a HUGE plume of white smoke out the tailpipe. I took it to the dealer this week and ....as expected...."technician could not get vehicle to replicate" And they ran diagnostics with no issues noted. Over the past couple weeks it has started under moderate/conservative acceleration and it does more of a hiccup. This whole issue has been happening now for the past 3 or 4 months, now probably a total of 10 times at most.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just took my TDI in for its 10K service, told them about the studder problem, and that there was a firmware update. They told me there were no updates and to top it off gave my car back with a million little scratches thanks to their "complimentary" car wash. Really disappointed in Oakland VW's service department.

·
Registered
6 Posts
could this possibly be related to the throttle plate sticking shut. Usually a lot of bluish/white smoke means raw fuel. So this could be an area to look into.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I"ve spent a lot of time in the past 20 years watching instrument techs chasing intermittant electronic problems. It's an extremely frustrating process. In some cases they've simply had to wait for component failure to figure out what the problem has been.

Try to keep a notebook about circumstances when you experience the issue. This is especially true of weather conditions. High humidity/rain can cause issues with poor connections.

·
Super Moderator
9,339 Posts
This "hesitation/hiccup" doesn't happen to ocure when you drive over a raise in the road surface something like an hump back bridge? I've read a similar thing happening but only when they do that. ;)

I could post the forum but you would have to join to read anything.
My car is going in for it's first service on Tuesday (10000 mile) and I'm not sure if the following is common on all diesel GT Golfs -

When I'm driving fairly quickly on any road and come to a small rise that drops away on the other side, it doesn't have to be steep, but as I go over the rise and start to go down the other side the engine hesitates noticably. It only happens for a fraction of a second then "picks up" again back to normal.

I know I'm not lifting my foot off and strangely enough when I had my first Golf GT (returned to dealer after three months for this one) it did exactly the same - has anyone else here experienced this issue, and is it a known "problem"?
Golf MkVI GT TDI 140

Holy god, I was going to post a topic on the exact same issue I've noticed with my Golf. I have found it only happens on a couple of roads, in particular it always happens on the country road my mum and dad live on. I find it happens in 5th gear at speeds of around 50mph. The best way I could describe it is as if the cruise control is turned on and the engine is braking sliightly having adjusted the power to maintain the cruise speed up the hill, then as the car goes over the crest, to keep at cruise speed the engine cuts back the power (I'm not technically minded so I'm assuming this is how the basic prinicple of CC works) and thus creates the sensation of hesitation. I'd like to stress that the CC isn't turned on . Again as you say Bob it is very very minor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wife's Audi A3 has this same issue, and she noticed it on my VW Jetta once (it's a week old), so it appears to be a TDI issue regardless of vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a 2010 Golf 6MT without this issue. But, on an earlier MK4 a similar problem occurred caused by bad fuel containing water. Replaced the fuel filter and problem solved.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts