VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Isn't the mkvi Golf wagon technically a mkv?
According to VW it's a mk6 but it's a mk5 under the skin. While I prefer people to post 2010 Wagon stuff in the mk5 forum, I realize that it's confusing and people will need to look in both the mk5 and mk6 forums to find info.

When the Jetta mk6 comes it'll be a different chassis so I may end up creating another section for that and putting the mk6 Golf stuff into the mk5 forum since they are so close.

Even the front core assembly will swap! The bumper from a mk6 alone can't bolt onto a mk5 but the front core support along with the bumper, headlights, etc., will bolt on.

After the Jetta comes out the forum organization may change. If there's an Audi A4 TDI sold in the US, I'll add a section for that. For now, posting in both sections is acceptable. Maybe I will split things into a mk5 Jetta mk6 Golf forum and another mk6 Jetta forum.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I've never sat in the '09 Jetta Wagen but I have sat in one of the sedans and the differences seem to be mostly cosmetic and ergonomic - the underlying chassis and interior layout seems more or less the same. There is extra sound deadening, different materials and so on that are structural I suppose but they are minor. Thus while it is an MK6 to me given these improvements, the bare welded chassis sitting beside the MK5 chassis on the factory floor likely look quite identical.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Speedyj, can you please do me a favour. I'm shopping for winter tires now, and need to get a set for my new '10 Wagon Highline that we were told we'll get in November (from downtown Toronto dealer).

You wrote in your earlier post that the wheels are going to be 17" on your Highline. Now that you got your car can you please post the stock tire size on those wheels. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Speedyj, can you please do me a favour. I'm shopping for winter tires now, and need to get a set for my new '10 Wagon Highline that we were told we'll get in November (from downtown Toronto dealer).

You wrote in your earlier post that the wheels are going to be 17" on your Highline. Now that you got your car can you please post the stock tire size on those wheels. Thanks!
I'm in the same boat. I need snows before too long. Stock rubber is 205/55R16 on the GSW - not 17" as I had hoped. Reason being: there are many more tire choices in the 17" size than 16" and you'll subsequently pay less. I'm shopping myself. I've been a Blizzak fan for some time but I might be coaxed to look elsewhere for a deal.

I'd rather spend the extra $ and get cheap Chinese/Korean aluminum alloys for the winter instead of black steelies. Personal preference. I'll let you know what I find. What specs/color is your highline?

·
Registered
14 Posts
16" is what the specs said all along. I was surprised to see that you were told by dealer that they would be 17".

I think I found a surprisingly good deal today on some good winter brands. There's a garage near Keele and Steeles Ave W where a young owner (his name is Carl) is selling good stuff at a grand opening promotional price. Here's a map link to his place called Pro Rim and Tire - http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=pro+rim+and+tire&sll=44.018302,-79.459179&sspn=0.012283,0.022101&ie=UTF8&hq=pro+rim+and+tire&hnear=&ll=43.78132,-79.487243&spn=0.023889,0.044203&z=15&iwloc=A

I'll be getting a set of 215/60R16 General Altimax Arctics for $105 each mounted on my rims. That's for my Malibu Maxx station wagon. His next shipment is in a week. He took my info but not a deposit. If everything goes through then this will amount to a saving of about 25% over Canadian Tire sale price.

I haven't decided yet about the tires for the Golf Wagon. Here is Carl's Kijiji add for Bridgestone Winterforce 205/55R16 for $97 - http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-tires-rims-205-55-16-WinterForce-by-Bridgestone-BRAND-NEW-97-W0QQAdIdZ159009689 He can also get Blizzaks LM-22 but not in 205/55R16 size. Call him to find out. I don't think this prices will last long.

Our car is going to be 2010 TDI DSG Highline Golf Wagon in Platinum Grey. Wife wanted the sunroof.

By the way, I wouldn't mind participating in some kind of a group buy of HID OEM kit, and maybe even the "radio" with navigation that guys in USA get. But that's in the future.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
If there is any kind of OEM HID group buy, it won't be for a while because you have to have enough people willing to commit spend over $1000 for headlights. The more expensive the group buy, the more people say they want it, then drop out. At this price level, it would have to be organized through a vendor and not an individual.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
16" is what the specs said all along. I was surprised to see that you were told by dealer that they would be 17".

I think I found a surprisingly good deal today on some good winter brands. There's a garage near Keele and Steeles Ave W where a young owner (his name is Carl) is selling good stuff at a grand opening promotional price. Here's a map link to his place called Pro Rim and Tire - http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=pro+rim+and+tire&sll=44.018302,-79.459179&sspn=0.012283,0.022101&ie=UTF8&hq=pro+rim+and+tire&hnear=&ll=43.78132,-79.487243&spn=0.023889,0.044203&z=15&iwloc=A

I'll be getting a set of 215/60R16 General Altimax Arctics for $105 each mounted on my rims. That's for my Malibu Maxx station wagon. His next shipment is in a week. He took my info but not a deposit. If everything goes through then this will amount to a saving of about 25% over Canadian Tire sale price.

I haven't decided yet about the tires for the Golf Wagon. Here is Carl's Kijiji add for Bridgestone Winterforce 205/55R16 for $97 - http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-tires-rims-205-55-16-WinterForce-by-Bridgestone-BRAND-NEW-97-W0QQAdIdZ159009689 He can also get Blizzaks LM-22 but not in 205/55R16 size. Call him to find out. I don't think this prices will last long.

Our car is going to be 2010 TDI DSG Highline Golf Wagon in Platinum Grey. Wife wanted the sunroof.

By the way, I wouldn't mind participating in some kind of a group buy of HID OEM kit, and maybe even the "radio" with navigation that guys in USA get. But that's in the future.
Ya I had an undereducated sales guy lead me to believe 17's were standard for 2010. Not. I'll keep hunting for snows in the next 3-4 weeks and thanks for the links! You're going to love your GSW - LOVE. I absolutely want the navigation and bi-xenon's well - keep me posted. I'm also looking to put factory looking LED tails on it as well.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Ya I had an undereducated sales guy lead me to believe 17's were standard for 2010. Not. I'll keep hunting for snows in the next 3-4 weeks and thanks for the links! You're going to love your GSW - LOVE. I absolutely want the navigation and bi-xenon's well - keep me posted. I'm also looking to put factory looking LED tails on it as well.
I guess I can't fault the sales team entirely: here;s another article stating 17's are standard on the TDI:

http://wot.motortrend.com/6590952/auto-news/2010-vw-golf-golf-tdi-pricing-released-fuel-economy-improves/index.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
pano sunroof option

I'm not a fan of the pano sunroof or sunroofs in general but the color choice is great! It has a nice contrast.
This should probably be in the mk5 forum, but I didn't find it discussed there.

Except for the added cost, why not get a sunroof? In general, I am fan because of the added airflow, but am kind of on the fence about the panoramic one. First, it seems that the interior seems to heat up more easily when parked, even with the shade closed. On the other hand, you get more air once you are driving. Second, the huge shade is something that can break more easily. A dealer admitted that a lady came back after a few months because her shade was sagging. She claimed that she drove on the freeway with the roof open but the shade closed and it eventually caved in (possibly due to the wind vibration). Third, the pano sunroof does not have a tilt position like the smaller roofs. You can open it a little bit, but not in a wedge position (front closed, back open about an inch). :confused:

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I like sunroofs to vent the interior...

but I don't like reduced headroom, added cost, extra weight at the top of the car (raises center of gravity), potential for leaks. I have sunroofs on all my cars because that's how they were equipped. But I never use them except when the car is parked and the sunroof is tilt to vent. Just my personal opinion. my two cents

I don't like convertibles either - more expensive, noisier, heavier, weaker chassis, not as safe as an identical coupe, and people in general get too much sun, not too little sun. The sun ages car interiors like it ages people's skin and sun exposure is a major factor in melanoma. I've rented convertibles and they're fun for a while but I guess I'm just not a fun person lol.

I'd love to meet the product manager for VW NA.
I don't see why they couldn't make HID lights a dealer option or many of the other things dealer options. It's like mudflaps, just have the tech stick them on. Take the spares and ship them back to the factory. It's not a large power seat, you could stick them in a box and mail them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't see why they couldn't make HID lights a dealer option or many of the other things dealer options. It's like mudflaps, just have the tech stick them on. Take the spares and ship them back to the factory. It's not a large power seat, you could stick them in a box and mail them.
Because then they'd be used headlights. They'd get scuffed or damaged during removal or shipment. The better way is to have the lights and sensors in stock as parts. This way you buy it as parts and the dealer installs them. You keep the lights. It would cost more than $700 but at least it's an option.

·
Registered
30 Posts
increase in TDI availability

This is an excerpt from the October VW newsletter:

"October will bring an improvement in vehicle availability. With respect
to TDI, we expect more deliveries to Central Region Dealers which will
result in a 30% sales mix in October.
We will continue to increase TDI availability as we move into November
and December.
The new Golf, GTI and SportWagen will ramp up in October enabling
incremental sales in these product lines."

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Exactly....

·
Registered
298 Posts
This is an excerpt from the October VW newsletter:

"October will bring an improvement in vehicle availability. With respect
to TDI, we expect more deliveries to Central Region Dealers which will
result in a 30% sales mix in October.
We will continue to increase TDI availability as we move into November
and December.
The new Golf, GTI and SportWagen will ramp up in October enabling
incremental sales in these product lines."
FWIW, European sales are more profitable. You can rack up the options and the cars are more expensive. They divert sales there for the same reason. I read somewhere that they lost money on the last Rabbit because they were too expensive to build so they aren't anxious to flood the market with new Golfs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
just a quick follow-up on my winter tires shopping post.

I picked up my winter tires for my other car. The total was $501.04 for 215/60R16 General Altimax Arctic mounted, balanced and sales tax and Ontario tires fees included. This is all in Toronto.

I asked about 205/55R16 for my new VW. Here are the prices for mounted and balanced (all taxes are extra):
General Altimax Arctic $110
Continental ExtremeWinterContact $125
Dunlop Graspic DS-3 $129
Bridgestone Blizzak WS60 - $142
Michelin X-Ice Xi2 - $160

He also mentioned that a good deal would be to get Blizzaks WS60 in 195/60R16 for $115 vs $142 in stock size. This would give 1.3% odo error according to Miata tire calculator: "When your speedo reads 100 kph, you are actually travelling 101.3 kph".

The place that I bought tires from is called Rim and Tire Pro. It looks like a two-man shop. Owner is Carl - 416-739-8473.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts