VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
So I take delivery of mine tomorrow. They seem to be continually adjusting the pricing for whatever reason They are adding the bluetooth and the tint today. I got a sneek peak of it over the weekend and it looks great in the Candy White.

Pictures and the build sheet I'll post tomorrow. I'll give it a week or so and then time to start thinking about the mods:yum:

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I suggest light or medium window tint but it can be expensive through the dealer. What kind of warranty/price are they giving you on the tint? They normally do it through a 3rd party shop anyways.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Ya they have a third party company coming to the dealership once a week for all the new deliveries that need tint. I'm doing 20% on the front 2 windows and 35% everywhere else (max. legal). I could have probably gotten away with 35% all around but don't need to be pinched by the snuff.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
So what's the cheapest way to get the factory bi-xenon lights that are available in the US and everywhere else it seems, into my new Canadian 'wagen? Should be plug and play, no? I'd think the wiring harness and plugs might all exist or would it be different due to the lack of a ballast on the normal halogen setups?

Has anyone actually heard the A2DP quality yet from an iPhone through the RCN510? Is it decent? I'm a slight audio enthusiast and can't wait to hear what this will sound like (or not).

24 more hours....

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I think it's plug play. The levelling motors won't work but it should turn on/off. TDIparts sells the old style headlights at a great price, you could contact them to see if they can get the Golf style HID lights. http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1028
So they're Xenon but have the halogen high beam setup. For a grand? Yikes. I think I'll wait and hit up a cross border US dealer somewhere when the dollar is up and hope for the best.

Aren't the leveling motors a part of the mechanism?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So what's the cheapest way to get the factory bi-xenon lights that are available in the US and everywhere else it seems, into my new Canadian 'wagen? Should be plug and play, no? I'd think the wiring harness and plugs might all exist or would it be different due to the lack of a ballast on the normal halogen setups?

Has anyone actually heard the A2DP quality yet from an iPhone through the RCN510? Is it decent? I'm a slight audio enthusiast and can't wait to hear what this will sound like (or not).

24 more hours....
The cheapest way is to wait a while, get projector headlamp assemblies from Hella, then put an aftermarket HID kit into them. Projector halogen headlight retrofits aren't perfect but they work and won't blind others. I would avoid cheap headlight housings since the plastic always seems to be more brittle and the wiring is never as good.

OEM headlights are bi-xenon, I believe the Tdiparts.com description is incorrect because it contradicts itself. They use a solenoid shield to move the high beam to low beam. Maybe if you don't have the proper wiring they won't work correctly? Not sure but you could call them up.

To use the levelling motors you need a wiring harness adapter and levelling sensors or a manual levelling switch. I wouldn't bother with it.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
The cheapest way is to wait a while, get projector headlamp assemblies from Hella, then put an aftermarket HID kit into them. Projector halogen headlight retrofits aren't perfect but they work and won't blind others. I would avoid cheap headlight housings since the plastic always seems to be more brittle and the wiring is never as good.

OEM headlights are bi-xenon, I believe the Tdiparts.com description is incorrect because it contradicts itself. They use a solenoid shield to move the high beam to low beam. Maybe if you don't have the proper wiring they won't work correctly? Not sure but you could call them up.

To use the levelling motors you need a wiring harness adapter and levelling sensors or a manual levelling switch. I wouldn't bother with it.
Agreed. It would be the cheapest which was my original question. Then again - I should rephrase my initial question: what is the cheapest way to get the OEM bi-xenon assembly - I want it to look stock GTI/A3 TDI basically. I'd rather spend the $ on the leveling switch/harness believe it or not - to make it work like it should.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
So she's in the driveway. I'll be a few days programming and learning all the features - my god there's menu after menu. Nice to have the flexibility though.

First impressions:

Steering tight, effortless @ low speeds and somewhat light @ 80km/h or above, very quiet, cubbie holes everywhere, factory leather does not smell as nice as my Beemer but it might be the fabric protection they put on for me @ the dealership.

The audio system sounds ok - I'd say an 7.8 out of 10. Imaging is lost up front and bass light, treble is very bright even at the most middle setting. The Bluetooth works flawlessly with my iPhone. Calls sound decent, A2DP works as featured although I cannot get the steering wheel buttons to control the iPod functionality within the phone.

The horn sounds like it was made by Fisher-Price. The washer fluid tank does not hold - 4L of washer fluid. It's got great get-up-and-go in third gear - seems to hunt between 6th and 5th somewhat on mild inclines @ 90km/h or so. Quiet. The heaters in the seats take a while to warm up and even on the hottest setting - aren't all that hot but warm. My 328ci would melt your buns after 15 mins on the high setting.

Thus far - I'm in love and I'll take her on my 180km journey to work and back tomorrow to get more acquainted with her.

·
Registered
175 Posts
So she's in the driveway. I'll be a few days programming and learning all the features - my god there's menu after menu. Nice to have the flexibility though.

First impressions:

Steering tight, effortless @ low speeds and somewhat light @ 80km/h or above, very quiet, cubbie holes everywhere, factory leather does not smell as nice as my Beemer but it might be the fabric protection they put on for me @ the dealership.

The audio system sounds ok - I'd say an 7.8 out of 10. Imaging is lost up front and bass light, treble is very bright even at the most middle setting. The Bluetooth works flawlessly with my iPhone. Calls sound decent, A2DP works as featured although I cannot get the steering wheel buttons to control the iPod functionality within the phone.

The horn sounds like it was made by Fisher-Price. The washer fluid tank does not hold - 4L of washer fluid. It's got great get-up-and-go in third gear - seems to hunt between 6th and 5th somewhat on mild inclines @ 90km/h or so. Quiet. The heaters in the seats take a while to warm up and even on the hottest setting - aren't all that hot but warm. My 328ci would melt your buns after 15 mins on the high setting.

Thus far - I'm in love and I'll take her on my 180km journey to work and back tomorrow to get more acquainted with her.
Do you have phone book on the instrument display?

Oh, and :needpics:

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Agreed. It would be the cheapest which was my original question. Then again - I should rephrase my initial question: what is the cheapest way to get the OEM bi-xenon assembly - I want it to look stock GTI/A3 TDI basically. I'd rather spend the $ on the leveling switch/harness believe it or not - to make it work like it should.
Wait a while until the part is available as retrofit parts. This will be a while. On the bright side (no pun intended), there will probably be some people looking to convert the mk5 look Golf to mk6 look. They would be interested in your headlights.

The leveling switch goes next to the headlight dimmer.

Nice, that and power seats is the one option I would really need. I don't like that VW puts seat height and tilt into the same lever.

:needpics: If you're not sure how to add pics, see http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1044

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Do you have phone book on the instrument display?

Oh, and :needpics:
That I have not yet found or know that it exists in the endless menus. I'll report back. God I hope so - I have 400+ entries in my phone book:dunno

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Wait a while until the part is available as retrofit parts. This will be a while. On the bright side (no pun intended), there will probably be some people looking to convert the mk5 look Golf to mk6 look. They would be interested in your headlights.

The leveling switch goes next to the headlight dimmer.

Nice, that and power seats is the one option I would really need. I don't like that VW puts seat height and tilt into the same lever.

Oh, and :needpics: If you're not sure how to add pics, see http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1044
Yes - I know I know - pics. It was drizzling, 5 degrees and dark @ 9pm after I put the kids to bed and finally went back outside to sit in the car with my wife, the owners manual, a rum & coke and started the exploration in the driveway.

I have a Nikon D200 w/18-200mm lens that should be able to capture those idioms and subtle items everybody would know without expressing in so many words. I'll try and get some tonight guys.

I'd never thought about selling the MK6 headlights actually. Ya I'll wait 'til next spring to get the bi-xenon parts when they are more common. The seats are only power recline - the lumbar, height and forward/back movements are all manual. Comfy though. Chitty - where's the headlight dimmer??

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Have you driven a mk4 Golf? How does it compare? The mk4 Jetta is similar.
I have - night and day difference. Then again, I drove the gas version MK4 Golf (friends) that was high mileage, bare bones and not well taken care of. Hers was stick too - but I can imagine the clutching would be similar on the 6 speed. Ergonomics are close in placement but much more refined in the MK6 (expected). Everything is definitely larger inside....more room surely - although my wagen is an MK5 really so otherwise identical to the Jetta from last year. Visibility is improved due to seating position; the MK6 is much quieter. Even the wagen seems to have less of a blind spot than her 4 door hatch did. The MK6 feels heavier though - this might be due to the drive train.

To sum it up - refined.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Sorry, I meant instrument cluster light dimmer, not headlight dimmer. If you retrofit leveling headlights to adjust the lights up and down, the switch usually goes next to the instrument cluster light dimmer.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
There should be a dial rheostat type switch next to the headlight switch. Doesn't it dim the instrument cluster? I can see it in photos so far so I don't think they removed it. If you have foglights, you can also pull the headlight dial out to turn them on.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
There should be a dial rheostat type switch next to the headlight switch. Doesn't it dim the instrument cluster? I can see it in photos so far so I don't think they removed it. If you have foglights, you can also pull the headlight dial out to turn them on.
Found both:D

Pictures. Excuse the lousy photography - I had dead batteries in my flash and yes - it was drizzling again. One thing: I feel like I'm driving a greenhouse on wheels due to the panoramic sunroof - it's the nicest option to order - trust me on this one.

The wife had it up past 130 without issue - lady leadfoot who's used to driving a jeep TJ on 33" rubber. Averaged 6.2L/100km in 176 minutes of combined stop-and-go and highway driving.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 65 Posts