VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I just bought a 2010 Golf TDI automatic and am a first time diesel owner. I have a question concerning the driving characteristics of the car. When coming to a complete stop, I can feel what I think is the transmission downshifting through the lower gears into into first gear. This causes a slight shuddering sensation that feels amost like the ABS is activating. It occurs literally as the car is in the last second of rolling to a stop, so we are talking under 1/2 mile per hour speed. I have read on other TDI sites about something called "slow down shudder" but based on the descriptions people give (most people describe it as the engine itself suddering--as if it is going to stall--and it seems to occur at a higher speed than what I am talking about), I don't think I am experiencing the same issue. Does anyone else out there with a 2010 experience this? I may be crazy, but I swear that the car I test drove (not the same one I bought) did not have this because it is something both me and my wife immediately noticed when we drove this car off the lot.

Other than that, awesome car! Gray, 4 door, Xenon, Dynaudio, Golf Mat Kit, Heated Seats, Sunroof.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
You aren't getting show down shudder, I believe that you are feeling the DSG downshifting which is normal. However, the last 1/2 mph shaking is a different feeling and is definitely not normal.

PS, how do you like the dynaudio? How noticeable is the xenon headlight cornering function?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dynaudio is great. Not quite the same quality of sound as the Monsoon system in my old Passat, but still great. I did need to tweak the settings and the fader (in my opinion, it needs subtsantially more sound toward the rear in order to balance out the sound) to get the sound to my liking, but that's normal in any system.

As for the Xenon, to be perfectly honeset, I haven't had a chance to test the cornering function so I can't provide an opinion just yet. I have this feature on my BMW and it is simply fantastic--really really bright light and noticably helpful in cornering situations. My experince with it on the BMW is what led me on a nationwide search for the Golf that I ultimately bought. The lighting itself, though, is clean and bright-- a significant improvement over traditional halogen lights.

Coming from a gasoline powered, auto BMW, maybe I'm too sensative to the DSG transmission. At least I hope so.

·
Registered
2 Posts
took delivery of 2010 Golf TDI 3 days ago. I also notice a very slight shudder as the car stops, chalked it up to nature of engine/transmission, not an issue for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts