VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a great pictorial "how to" on this site for the JSW 2009-2011 CR Fuel Filter.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a...uel-filter.htm

My question.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any simple workarounds for those of us without a VCDS that would enable DIY fuel filter replacement on 2010 and 2011 CR engines????

On these later model cars, the lift pump doesn't cycle when you first turn the key to "on".

The above "how to" explains that you need a VCDS (VAG-COM) to energize the lift pump which then pumps fuel into the fuel filter canister and purges the system of air. On older TDI's you would simply turn the key to "on" a couple of times, the lift pump power ups, runs, and you'd be set to go.

. -------- Thanks -----

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
There is no way to activate the lift pump other than VCDS according to the manual. Since the lift pump is the same as the 06 Jetta which runs the pump for a second when you turn the key to ON, I have no idea why VW changed it in the 09+.

As for "safely", I don't know how much of a difference between filling it up all the way and not priming vs. filling it up all the way and priming there is. I doubt the dealer does it via. their own service manual's way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I too would like to know if it's possible without buying more expensive tools. Why in the world would VW change it anyways, it seems like it's more work for them. Even if you do prime the fuel tank pump, where would the air go if the engine pump isn't running? I suspect that it wouldn't go anywhere if the fuel filter is full of fuel. If you made a clear fuel filter or clear section of hose, you could see how much fuel moves with a full filter with vs. without priming the pump.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree -- it does seem like a bit of overkill -- it seems that once you start the engine the pumps activate and the air is prbly purged in whatever the normal way it gets removed. My concern is causing extra wear and tear on the fuel delivery system, especially the HPFP.

Just wondering if anyone on this board has had persnl experience on a 2010/2011 performing a Fuel Filter DIY without VCDS (ie: "turkey baster" method?)......and what the results were. --- Thanks ---

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
There's a great pictorial "how to" on this site for the JSW 2009-2011 CR Fuel Filter.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a...uel-filter.htm

My question.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any simple workarounds for those of us without a VCDS that would enable DIY fuel filter replacement on 2010 and 2011 CR engines????

On these later model cars, the lift pump doesn't cycle when you first turn the key to "on".

The above "how to" explains that you need a VCDS (VAG-COM) to energize the lift pump which then pumps fuel into the fuel filter canister and purges the system of air. On older TDI's you would simply turn the key to "on" a couple of times, the lift pump power ups, runs, and you'd be set to go.. -------- Thanks -----

If you want to prime the fuel system you need to run both the fuel sending unit pump and the aux. boost pump. Below are instructions of how to jumper the fuel sending unit pump. The aux. boost pump can also be jumpered. On the back of the pump the +/- terminals are marked. Connect the jumper wires to the appropriate terminals and connect to 12v and the pump will run. Priming correctly you need to run BOTH pumps at the same time for 1 minute for three times.

LIFT PUMP RUN w/o VCDS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone wants to run their lift pump without VCDS it pretty easy. Lift rear seat cushion to access the pump. Remove the round plastic cover. Disconnect the lift pump wiring harness. Look down into where the plug came out and you will see two large connectors and three small connectors.The three smaller connectors operate the fuel gauge off the sending unit float. You will be using the two larger connectors. Connect 12V jumper wires to the two large elec connectors. Positive to the one on the left (if you are facing the rear of the car) Negative to the one on the right. Once you put power to the connectors the pump should run.

The fuel sending unit pump I ran pumped approx. 128 oz. of fuel per minute.

It took 15 seconds for the pump to fill the fuel sending unit with fuel when the unit was completely empty.

With the pump sitting in about 1/2 of fuel a lot of foam was produced,but the fuel in the line was free of foam.

If you remove the fuel sending unit from the fuel tank the black wire is the positive hot wire on the pump. The yellow wire is the ground.
There are also three other wires. blue,black and brown. These three wires operate the fuel gauge float sending unit.

dweisel

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Info added to FAQ article dweisel, many thanks for sharing! I don't know if this works on the 10+ models but I don't see why not. Can anyone else confirm that this works on their 10 Golf or Sportwagen? What about 11 Jetta?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts