VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a chance to take a close look at the features and review a 2010 Audi A3 TDI today. I've previously test driven one but this guy was nice enough to let me poke around his brand new car. Good news, nothing was broken!

Some notes - in addition to the info in the Audi A3 TDI buying guide - the sunvisors are the same as the mk4. There's a small sunvisor on the front of the overhead console for the area above the rear view mirror. Why they didn't just use the mk5 part which pulls out from the rod, I don't know.

This one had a storage cubby under the passenger seat. I don't know if this is part of premium plus because the sales brochure only says that the premium plus has "ample and convenient spaces...including side pockets, seatback storage nets, and bag hangers." This storage cubby can be added as an OEM part if your A3 or Jetta (most likely the 2010 Golf too) doesn't have one.

The rear hatch struts are not like the mk6 Golf which can be modded for auto open (also see http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2245) The anchors are at fixed locations.

The fuel filter cap has smaller torx bolts and a different housing. I have not clue why since the engine and basic chassis are the same. The entire area around the windshield washer reservoir filler/coolant reservoir/motor mount/fuel filter housing is the same so why make it different?

I wasn't a huge fan of the nav system before but seeing it in action is great. While it's expensive, it really adds to the look of the car and being able to use bluetooth and ipod lists from the nav screen works very well. The screen is bright, high resolution and clear, and the menus are easy to navigate. The disadvantage is that the navgiation is DVD ROM based and not touchscreen. It is nice to have tactile feedback when you turn the selection knob and buttons vs. the RNS 510 GPS navigation touchscreen where any selection anywhere on the screen feels the same. Bluetooth phonebook is enabled in the MFD/DIS multifunction display on the instrument cluster from the factory and is very well integrated into the nav system. It has 2 SD card slots for music and a limit of 16 GB. I am not sure if it's 16 GB per card, total, or a max of 8 GB per slot.

This one had the convenience package with rain sensing wipers. I will test later if the windows and sunroof can be coded to close if the car is parked and the rain sensor detects rain. The rain sensor includes the light sensor which adds auto headlights and the coming home/leaving home functions which turn on all lights if you unlock/lock the car.

This one did not have the white stripe on the taillight extend all the way on both lens. The white stripe was only on the hatch ones and not the one one body, as many pics like the Audi site shows and discussed here: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2195

The Audi A3 still uses the button on the driver's door and a solenoid to open the fuel door. The strong spring force can be reduced to open the door wider as seen in this writeup:http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a4/fueldoormod.htm . VW discontinued the button-solenoid fuel door for 2010 - they open the fuel door by pushing the fuel door if all doors are unlocked.

The center armrest had 2 9V cig outlets. They do not turn off with the car.

The premium plus came with a generously long cable for the coolant heater. The plug goes into the driver's side foglight. I will add a pic to the buying guide later. I don't know if the premium (base) comes with one since I don't know anyone who bought one. Anyone know for sure?

One surprising feature that was absent - no 112V household outlet. This is very handy for running laptops, cell phone chargers, toaster ovens, etc. The VW TDI do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pLm0NJdVz4

·
Registered
19 Posts
Very comprehensive, thanks. FYI, there are plenty of handheld touchscreen GPS which have bluetooth and SD card support built into them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
CCBB - Thanks for the info. I had no idea about the small storage area under the passenger seat. I don't think that it was even mentioned in the owner's manual.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts