VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi everyone- i'm new to the forum- have gotten lots of useful info for my 2003 golf tdi- recently changed the fuel filter- was a breeze after reading about priming the filter. My question is about my wifes 2010 a3 tdi fuel filter change- I understand it should be primed as well, but do you really need a scan tool to cycle the fuel pump 3-4 times, or can i just start it and raise the rpm as i would in the case of changing the fuel filter on my 2003 tdi- thanks

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
To be honest, it will work without priming the fuel filter but the service manual says you have to prime it. You could just fill the filter and let it run. This is probably what most dealers do.

I don't know why but the earlier cars with a lift pump ran the pump for 2 seconds when you turned the key to ON. The new CRD engines don't. Therefore you must use a scan tool to run the lift pump to prime it.

FYI, if you DIY, could you take a few pictures of the fuel filter? I have pictures of the outside of the filter housing and know it's different but I'd like to see the inside, the inside of the cap, and the fuel filter itself.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fuel filter change

thanks so much for the reply- The car is due now as per a notification we got from audi- will let you know when its done- sounds like the hardest part of the job will be me trying to upload pics to the internet

·
Registered
74 Posts
Note that the original 2010 A3 TDI service manual is in error regarding the fuel filter change interval. IIRC, the manual specified a 55,000 mile interval -- it should be changed at 15K miles and then every 20K miles thereafter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fuel filt change

Thanks guys- audi sent a owners manual supplement specifying a shorter change time- hope there's no metal in the canister.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts